Technical 2019 Euro 6 Fuel Filter

Currently reading:
Technical 2019 Euro 6 Fuel Filter

Humie

I am trying to identify what the fuel filter is on my 2019 Euro6 Ducato fitted in a Carthago MH.
It looks nothing like the metal cased filters shown on the recent threads and not like the plastic casing on my old x250.

Can anybody help please…..

Thanks.

Attachments

• B35F24BD-68F2-49E6-A401-C37F9A14C28C.jpeg
    B35F24BD-68F2-49E6-A401-C37F9A14C28C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 223
Thanks Hugh, that certainly looks like it!
Hopefully I can get a replacement element and the instructions how to change it…just hoping it’s not as problematic as the old plastic casing ☹️

Neil

Looking at the link in the first reply by Hugh it appears we are now on the 4th incarnation of the X250/X290 filter.
The original euro 4 plastic with replaceable element.
The euro 5 metallic complete unit replacement.
The euro 6b metal case with replaceable element.
The euro 6d plastic complete unit replacement.

The new unit is a complete replacement. It is not a 'change internal filter' type. It appears to have a hefty price. As far as replacing it appears to have the same fixings for fuel and electrics as the previous euro 6b metal housing type.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies, the van is just two years old and 12000 miles so it doesn't need changing imminently. It's a good job if a replacement is £160ish and changing it on an A class Carthago is like working through a letterbox!
I will give Coastal a ring though.

Thanks

The new unit is a complete replacement. It is not a 'change internal filter' type.

..whilst there is a good chance that it is so, I can't find any evidence of it being either one or the other. Have you got a source?

Some of the wording, however, implies a separate element, and the contemporaneous Fiat manuals define "replace the fuel filter element" as a 2-year service requirement (though the contents of the Fiat manuals are usually far from conclusive).

I certainly looks like a (semi-)sealed unit, but there are three Torx bolts through the head which would appear to have some function.

..whilst there is a good chance that it is so, I can't find any evidence of it being either one or the other. Have you got a source?

Some of the wording, however, implies a separate element, and the contemporaneous Fiat manuals define "replace the fuel filter element" as a 2-year service requirement (though the contents of the Fiat manuals are usually far from conclusive).

I certainly looks like a (semi-)sealed unit, but there are three Torx bolts through the head which would appear to have some function.

Something I read about when the euro6d models were produced. I am happy to be wrong of course and as you say there are bolts on the head.

Looking at the link in the first reply by Hugh it appears we are now on the 4th incarnation of the X250/X290 filter.
The original euro 4 plastic with replaceable element.
The euro 5 metallic complete unit replacement.
The euro 6b metal case with replaceable element.
The euro 6d plastic complete unit replacement.

I've come across this plastic unit on Euro6B vans also, plus it's listed as 2018->) so it's possible that they (metal/plastic) are both current but the metal one is fitted only where a heated fuel filter has been specified (or some combination of specification, market etc. computes that a heated filter is supplied).

I've come across this plastic unit on Euro6B vans also, plus it's listed as 2018->) so it's possible that they (metal/plastic) are both current but the metal one is fitted only where a heated fuel filter has been specified (or some combination of specification, market etc. computes that a heated filter is supplied).

The electrical connections appear to be the same or similar on both types? I am now fairly convinced after seeing some examples in the internet that the filter is replaceable.

Last edited:
Coastal have a good reputation.

TBH, though there is circumstantial evidence that it had a replaceable element, I certainly wouldn't have liked to stake much on it.

The price was another indicator though - it is rather high for a service-replaceable item - the fully replaceable (non-element) metal filter is an order of magnitude cheaper, and rather closer to the cost of an element (for other units) itself.

Although the then new type filter on my E5+ van was a similar cost when the van was new, not that I needed to buy one at the time. they have come down in cost considerably since the vans that it fits are older and more commonly serviced outside of the dealer network.

Many years ago, I had a trade account at a local Vauxhall dealer, and was sent monthly parts price lists. I recall on one occasion needing a set of brake pads for a fairly new model Carlton. They were horrendously expensive, but I found that the exact same pads with identical part number were also listed for an older model, and were priced at about a third of the cost of the exact same item if a customer asked for it for a newer model!

I queried it with the parts manager, and was told that the higher price enabled them to charge accordingly for cars that were serviced on the premises. As older cars were rarely seen in their premises for servicing... But the same discrepancy was applied at the parts counter depending on the vehicle a customer wanted the parts for, when asked.

I know that fuel filter replacement is listed on service schedules on a time/mileage basis. There must be quite a degree of precaution in this, as Fiat have no idea how clean the fuel is which in turn will depend on the care taken in handling, storage and distribution in the country of operation.

Does anyone know what the real life of filters is for UK operated vehicles ? Just what is being filtered out ? Is there anything in those reports of wax or biological contaminants ?

The reason for all this is that I'm wondering if it's time to replace my own van's filter (Euro 4 plastic), but I must admit I don't relish the prospect of mess and leaks if I do disturb it.

I can only comment (again) on remarks by the guy who ran a fleet of Ducatos and posted regularly on one of the motorhome forums. He said that they changed their fuel filters at 75,000 miles and had never had any issues. I changed a similar filter on a diesel Mondeo at a similar mileage, and cut the old one in half out of curiosity. It was spotless inside. The car was nearly 10 years old at the time and I had owned it from just over a year old, so I imagine it was the original filter.

The reason for all this is that I'm wondering if it's time to replace my own van's filter (Euro 4 plastic), but I must admit I don't relish the prospect of mess and leaks if I do disturb it.

I will go along with 75,000 miles interval because I have seen no signs of contamination in the ones I have changed.
But when you do decide to change its alright as long as you have got the special tool to hold the filter body and tighten the cap with torque wrench. All the problems seem to have derived from people not having the tool, and cracking the housing in a vice etc
If you do it without the tool hold the cap in the vice because its stronger, put on some grippy gloves then grip and turn the housing by hand.

Last edited:
Back