Technical 2011 Ducato Air Suspension Problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2011 Ducato Air Suspension Problem

2389debb

I have a 2011 Fiat Ducato . The red van light came on and it said self levelling unavailable. I have had it into the garage they have replaced the air suspension compressor, however their software to program it into the vehicle won’t work, therefore the compressor wont go up and down. They can get it to work using their system on its own but not within the vehicle. I have contacted Fiat commercials in preston....they have said their software is too new and therefore won’t work on the age of the vehicle...I am at a loss what to do next, any advice would be much appreciated .

Attachments

• 998875C0-6178-4A53-A0F5-17825C30A35A.jpeg
    998875C0-6178-4A53-A0F5-17825C30A35A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 531
Hi

I don't know what the fault is, but I can provide some background information which might help you or your chosen garage. The Fiat self levelling compressor, valves and electronic control unit are all in one module, which I presume is the bit that was replaced. There's not much else, just a left and right height sensor. The control unit "talks" to the vehicle via the CAN bus, receiving data on Speed, Hand and Footbrake Status, Reverse Gear and Engine RPM. It sends out information on status and any faults to the Dashboard display.

Clearly, if there is a problem with the CAN bus (2 wires), then data communication will be lost in both directions. Due to the exposed location by the rear axle, any wiring and connectors is at risk of corrosion over the years.

The control unit can be interrogated via the normal under-dashboard OBD connector, to check for stored fault codes in the event of a malfunction.

I'm not aware of any special programming requirements when a compressor etc is replaced, but I guess it's possible.

As for software being "Too New", I find that very hard to believe. Does this mean they can't work on anything more than 12 years old ? That hasn't been my experience.

Here's the system description from elearn, plus the schematics which I have marked up for ease of reading:

The self-levelling pneumatic suspension system is extremely flexible, has a considerable vibration damping capacity and a constant chassis - road surface distance, whatever the vehicle load conditions.

The electronically controlled pneumatic suspension is automatically activated when the vehicle is started.

With the vehicle stationary, the distance between the chassis and the road surface (and consequently the height of the load platform) can be adjusted manually using the dedicated buttons in the dashboard. There are 11 possible different positions.

The system requires the Comfort version instrument panel on which the information concerning the operation of the system is displayed.

The electronic control unit, built into the compressor - valve unit, automatically controls the height of the vehicle, based on the information supplied in real time by the sensors. With the vehicle moving, if there is a variation in the geometry, the control unit operates the electropneumatic unit through which the setting is adjusted to others stored in the memory.

The system only acts on the rear wheels.

The self-levelling pneumatic suspension system electrical equipment is protected by dedicated fuses located in the junction unit under the dashboard and in the additional fuse box.

The controlled suspension control unit M046 receives a direct battery (power) supply at pin 1 of connector A via the line protected by the maxi-fuse for the controlled suspension B107, whilst it is connected to the (power) earth on the rear axle C102 at pin 2 of the same connector.

The controlled suspension control unit M046 receives a (signal) reference earth at pin S of connector B from the earth on the rear axle C102.

The controlled suspension control unit M046 receives a direct battery (signal) supply, at pin E of connector B, via the line protected by fuse F59 of the additional fuse box B098.

The controlled suspension control unit M046 is connected to the dedicated sensors for the suspension, in particular:

• from pins K and B of connector B the control unit M046 is connected to the left self-levelling suspension sensor K196 A providing a power supply (pin 5) and a reference earth (pin 1) respectively;
  • at pin P of connector B it receives information relating to the level of the suspension from pin 6 of the right self-levelling suspension sensor K196 B.
  • from pins G and A of connector B the control unit M046 is connected to the right self-levelling suspension sensor K196 B providing a power supply (pin 5) and a reference earth (pin 1) respectively;
  • at pin R of connector B it receives information relating to the level of the suspension from pin 6 of the right self-levelling suspension sensor K196 B.
The auxiliary control panel H115 receives an ignition-controlled INT power supply, at pin 2 of connector A, via the line protected by fuse F49 of the junction unit under the dashboard B002.

Pin 1 of connector A, 1 of connector B and 4 of connector C of the auxiliary control panel H115 are connected to the optional cab earth C099.

The auxiliary control panel H115 is connected to the controlled suspension control unit M046 to manage the system adjustments.

Specifically:

• from pin 2 of connector B the auxiliary control panel H115 is connected to pin C of connector B of the controlled suspension control unit M046 to manage the suspension level lowering request, whilst at pin 3 of the same connector it receives the power supply for lighting up the LED from pin J of M046;
  • from pin 5 of connector C the auxiliary control panel H115 is connected to pin N of connector B of the controlled suspension control unit M046 to manage the suspension level raising request, whilst at pin 6 of the same connector it receives the power supply for lighting up the LED from pin H of M046;
Lastly the controlled suspension control unit is connected to the CAN from pins M and L of connector B.

See E1050 CAN CONNECTION LINES

The following are managed in the instrument panel E050 via the CAN connection: The "self-levelling suspension failure" warning light and buzzer plus the messages in the multifunction display relating to faults and the suspension level set.

Attachments

• X250 Self Levelling Schematic 1.jpg
    X250 Self Levelling Schematic 1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 110
  • X250 Self Levelling Schematic 2.jpg
    X250 Self Levelling Schematic 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 125
Hi

Further to the above, I found that Meissler sell the compressor without the control board, on the basis that the control boards rarely fail so you can swap over the one from your old unit. This saves reprogramming, which is only possible "with the original software" whatever that means.

They also warn that the compressor should not be used to repressurise the system.

More details here:

Thank you for these replies!! I will pass this information onto the mechanic at the garage….fingers crossed they can get it to work on the vehicle😊

Back