Technical 2008 Ducato 2.3 non start, no communication with engine ECU

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 Ducato 2.3 non start, no communication with engine ECU

Deface

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but unfortunately I come with an issue with my 2008 Fiat Ducato motorhome 2.3 multijet. It cut out on me whilst driving the other day and then would start for a few seconds and then cut out again. Now it will only crank without trying to fire.

I've tried to read codes but I have no communication with the engine ECU, I can communicate with ABS, SRS and BCM all having comms fault with engine ECU.

I've visually checked the engine harness but I have yet to find anything visibly wrong, body earths removed, cleaned and refitted, engine fuses and relays ok, fuse box itself and connectors to it look ok.

I accidentally cut a wire going to the ecu and found when I stripped it back to repair it the copper was corroded. I've been told these can suffer from the copper breaking down inside the plastic coating causing these issues. Has anyone had this?

Can anyone provide me with ecu pinout and or engine wiring diagrams? Or a site where they’re available?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but unfortunately I come with an issue with my 2008 Fiat Ducato motorhome 2.3 multijet. It cut out on me whilst driving the other day and then would start for a few seconds and then cut out again. Now it will only crank without trying to fire.

I've tried to read codes but I have no communication with the engine ECU, I can communicate with ABS, SRS and BCM all having comms fault with engine ECU.

I've visually checked the engine harness but I have yet to find anything visibly wrong, body earths removed, cleaned and refitted, engine fuses and relays ok, fuse box itself and connectors to it look ok.

I accidentally cut a wire going to the ecu and found when I stripped it back to repair it the copper was corroded. I've been told these can suffer from the copper breaking down inside the plastic coating causing these issues. Has anyone had this?

Can anyone provide me with ecu pinout and or engine wiring diagrams? Or a site where they’re available?

Thanks in advance
Dowload x250 Training Manual from Downlods section at top of page. Pinout for ECU is at page 90. Much more info in eLearn for the x250. Needs Windows computer and is compressed .rar files. Also guide on how to download. A virtual CD on an SSD speeds access. Alternatively CD from Ebay? That is how I obtained eLearn for my x244. Now mounted by geekish son as virtual CD.

I have read of wires going open circuit inside insulation.

I do not like thanks in advance, or is that just your complimentary close. Please post progress on this thread, or at least your cure. This to help others.

I do not like thanks in advance, or is that just your complimentary close.
Apologies, yes was just my 'complimentary close' expressing gratitude to anyone willing to help.

Thank you for the suggestion of the training manual. I've looked at them briefly already but they don't seem to be model year specific? I know from days at JLR that wiring diagrams can be different depending on model year.

Will try to keep post updated.

Apologies, yes was just my 'complimentary close' expressing gratitude to anyone willing to help.

Thank you for the suggestion of the training manual. I've looked at them briefly already but they don't seem to be model year specific? I know from days at JLR that wiring diagrams can be different depending on model year.

Will try to keep post updated.
I suspect that the training manual should be used as a guide only. The diagrams are obviously preliminary issues. I suggested it as it is a relatively small file. eLearn for the x250 shoud be applicable upto the introduction of the x290 in 2010, and then a useful starting point.

My experience with eLearn is mainly with the x244 version, and I am frequently warning about errors and omissions.

Check the ignition switch, had issues with mine not starting very random till one day while it was running out side my house I hit the end of the key with my knee and I cut out.
Hope this helps

Back