Technical 2005 2.3 ducato no ecu

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 2.3 ducato no ecu

mtimm

As far as I can make out. 2005 2.4 ducato that was parked up for 6 years.
When it was attempted to start it. it didn't recognise the key. The ecu was removed and currently cannot be located.
What are the options to get the van running?
Is it likely to be costly?

As far as I can make out. 2005 2.4 ducato that was parked up for 6 years.
When it was attempted to start it. it didn't recognise the key. The ecu was removed and currently cannot be located.
What are the options to get the van running?
Is it likely to be costly?
1. Can the engine be turned over by "Hand"? If not engone may need to be dismantled.
2. The ECU would be a Bosch EDC MS6 - 3. I have never looked for this item specifically, but ECUs for the con temporary 2.8jtd are available on Ebay, where there was a French company offering plug & play ECUs, not needing coded key.
3. For a replacement ECU, I would start thinking £150 upwards.
4, If you want to retain the key code feature, that would need the ECU recoded by a vehicle locksmith. Their time does not come for a pittance. Alternatively you could buy a complete set of matching locks, keys, code receiver, and ECU.
5. For ECU part number, you could try putting the VIN into ePER. See top of page.

When I had to make two attempts to start my 2.8jtd last year, I considered carrying a plug and play ECU for emergency use. Last March when testing failures were 2 out of 5. I disconnected the code receiver and applied contact cleaner to the aerial connector. No subsequent failures.

I think that it would be a waste of my time to suggest more, until you research the options, and decide on a course of action.

1. Can the engine be turned over by "Hand"? If not engone may need to be dismantled.
2. The ECU would be a Bosch EDC MS6 - 3. I have never looked for this item specifically, but ECUs for the con temporary 2.8jtd are available on Ebay, where there was a French company offering plug & play ECUs, not needing coded key.
3. For a replacement ECU, I would start thinking £150 upwards.
4, If you want to retain the key code feature, that would need the ECU recoded by a vehicle locksmith. Their time does not come for a pittance. Alternatively you could buy a complete set of matching locks, keys, code receiver, and ECU.
5. For ECU part number, you could try putting the VIN into ePER. See top of page.

When I had to make two attempts to start my 2.8jtd last year, I considered carrying a plug and play ECU for emergency use. Last March when testing failures were 2 out of 5. I disconnected the code receiver and applied contact cleaner to the aerial connector. No subsequent failures.

I think that it would be a waste of my time to suggest more, until you research the options, and decide on a course of action.
Thanks for your reply.
The van is some distance from me so until I get to see it I'm relying on 2nd hand information.
1) before the ECU was removed the van was supposed to be turning over starting and cutting out.
2) typo on my part ite a 2.3 not 2.4 as in the original post. I have a 2005 2.3 maxi currently off the road waiting on some welding. I'm thinking/hoping I could temporarily borrow the ECU from this as a short term fix.
I would be happier if the original parts were at hand(even faulty) but thats looking unlikely.
Like with your issue I would think the initial problem was more like a communication issue or maybe just needing a key recode.
If the van wasnt so far away it would be alot easier to work out if its worth following up on

Thanks for your reply.
The van is some distance from me so until I get to see it I'm relying on 2nd hand information.
1) before the ECU was removed the van was supposed to be turning over starting and cutting out.
2) typo on my part ite a 2.3 not 2.4 as in the original post. I have a 2005 2.3 maxi currently off the road waiting on some welding. I'm thinking/hoping I could temporarily borrow the ECU from this as a short term fix.
I would be happier if the original parts were at hand(even faulty) but thats looking unlikely.
Like with your issue I would think the initial problem was more like a communication issue or maybe just needing a key recode.
If the van wasnt so far away it would be alot easier to work out if its worth following up on
1. If the engine was starting not a key code fault, unless Easy Start or similar was used. With key code fault, engine will turn but not fire. Seek clarification on this point.
2. Typo was noticed. I do not think that using ECU from Maxi is viable. You would also need code receiver, and code chip from Maxi key. Also are engines of identical output?

Back