Technical 2004 Ulysse 2.0 JTD repair (diy)

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 Ulysse 2.0 JTD repair (diy)

AlfaDriver1969

Hi everybody, new member here and in need of some help and advice.
The victim is a 2004 Ulysse 2.0JTD.
I bought this car as a non runner with diagnosed injectors fault and guess what...
The fault are not the injectors.
After running diagnose (lexia3 and PP2000) a couple of fault were cleared (maf and break pedal switch) and stayed clear after some attempts to get it running.
Now the glitch is "Cam out of synch" but no error stored in ECU.
Some details:
Cam belt is 14 months and 10.000 miles old
Crank sensor is brand new (there was no spacer in the old one so I fitted one)
Will get a cam sensor tomorrow.
Injectors are "welded" in place as usual
Fuse box in engine bay is bone dry.
Engine turns over and tries to fire but no luck.
Will give it another go with the new Cam sensor before I move to drastic measures.
Any ideas/pointers ?
Were can I find a workshop manual for this car so I can check the cambelt/cams alignment.

Ric

Hi everybody, new member here and in need of some help and advice.
The victim is a 2004 Ulysse 2.0JTD.
I bought this car as a non runner with diagnosed injectors fault and guess what...
The fault are not the injectors.
Were can I find a workshop manual for this car so I can check the cambelt/cams alignment.

Ric

the Lindsay Porter Manuals give reasonable JTD engine info,

maybe the electronic manuals at the top of the FF homepage too..??,
Charlie

I'd scope out both timing sensors and if ok check timing.

Fuel pressure ok?

Crank sensor is a new one (old one was/is not damaged/faulty)
Just removed the Cam sensor and going to buy one tomorrow.
Fuel pressure is OK (low/high) but there was some metal filings at the bottom of the filter.
Will check the manual from the forum
Another question; is it normal for the front windows and head lights not working while the car is in Economy mode ?

Thanks
Ric

Last edited:
If there is no code stored in the ECU how why do think that cam synch is out?

I recently rebuilt my 2004 2.0 ulysse and she would not start but I did get an error on the pp2000.

Check out my post of Peugeot forum

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/806-807-43/help-p0340-no-signal-camshaft-sensor-19092/

Turned out that timing was out beryl slightly but was enough to cause the error.

There is an adjustment that needs to be made to the camshaft pulley after fitting the timing belt which ensures correct timing. I forgot to do this adjustment.

I have a manual on disc. Might be able to email the file to you. I'll see how big it is.

Check out my pics on Flickr. Search for ulysseengineproject (only shows one pic until you open the containing folder)

Last edited:
the Lindsay Porter Manuals give reasonable JTD engine info,
maybe the electronic manuals at the top of the FF homepage too..??,
Charlie

Had a look and didn't found anything, could you be so friendly and give a link for the manuals ?

OK, got the cam sensor and was given the manual to replace and set up the cambelt.
Will have to wait for my mate to come back with the laptop to clear the fault codes, right now the engine light is on.
Work for tomorrow; install sensor and check timing on the cambelt.
I'm starting to wonder is the cam poly did move on the 3 bolts... belt was replaced around 1 year.
MaverickJ, the car did 10.000 miles after cambelt replacement.
After clearing the errors ( Maf and break pedal switch) the message "cam out of synch" showed up while looking at live data when I was trying to start the engine.
The other thing I noticed is that the engine bay just over the cambelt cover/first injector is very dirty with oil (looks like oil)
Even the motor assembly for the wipers, wiring loom in that area and the aircon pipes going to the bulk head.
Lose injector ?

Ric

Last edited:
Small update
New cam sensor fitted
Cam belt timing checked (locking pins fitted to flywheel and cam)
Still no luck, engine will not start. :bang:
Another question;
How do I know if the immobilizer is working (cutting off) ?
I have "Stop" and the engine symbol lit on the dash they go off while cranking the engine but ...
My mate is coming to clear the faults (if any) next week (got one from ebay but run into problems with the seller (the joys of ebay))
Going to put my scope in some use and check if I get signal in the injectors.
Any suggestions ?

Ric

Last edited:
Still no luck
Signal is present at the injectors but...(n)
Time to some drastic measures
Engine is coming out so I can remove and replace the injectors and since is coming out going to give it a good clean, sort the oil leak replace glow plugs etc.
(now I know why the dealers run away from this car)

Ric

just a thought before you remove engine !
you say you are getting a cam out of sync error and have checked the cam belt timing !
Have you removed the cam sprocket and checked that the locating pin hasn't sheared ?
might be worth checking

Hi,
No I didn't checked the sprocket on the cam.
The cam belt never failed in this car, is it possible for the locating pin to brake/fail without the cam belt failing ?
I read about it failing with the cam belt but...
On the other side the bolt that holds the pulley is rock solid and can't remove it to get to the cam belt.
Need to get a impact tool to remove it and the drive shafts nuts.
Today I read this: Fiat, - Fix It Again Tomorrow - :confused:
I really don't want to do that
I bought my current car as a non runner 4 1/2 years ago, fixed it and and until now is the most reliable car I haver had and never let me down (and is an Alfa Romeo).

Ric

Last edited:
Ok,
Engine is completely free and ready to come out.
It took me 4 hours to disconnect everything and the most fiddly part were the 2 bolts in the exhaust pipe after the turbo.
Will take a couple of pictures

Ric

Ok, now I'm pi**ed.
Removed plastic cam cover and...
7 out of 8 rockers are broken and that is just on the exhaust side.:cry:
Tomorrow going to remove the injector (got a brand new puller) to see how many are broken.:eek:
Well I got it for spares or repair with a diagnosed "injector fault" from a garage.
That's to teach me not to trust "experts" (n)
Took a couple of pictures but can't find data cable for the camera.

Ric

16 rockers broken.
Still no decided if going to remove cylinder head just to check valves and clean inlet channels because they have about 2mm of gunk in the walls.

Ric

Probably cam belt snapped and someone just tried a new one without checking the rockers?

Probably cam belt snapped and someone just tried a new one without checking the rockers?

Probably...
I had a look at the service history and the first cam belt change was at 59K miles and the one that is in was replaced at 71K miles (sticker on slam panel).
Checked the cam sprocket in the pulley and is not damaged.
What happened to this car is still a mystery for me.
Anyway got parts ordered and should be with me next Wed.
Question; Does anyone know how to removed the copper washers from the injectors without removing the head ?
They are stuck in the bottom of the hole and I really don't want to spend another 100 for the head gasket + head bolts.

Ric

I used an Injector Seal Removal Tool Sealey VS2054

Jut use a new washer to set the correct adjustment on the tool.

There's a pic of it on Flickr:

http://m.flickr.com/photos/88301525@N06/8487161074/lightbox/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/88301525@N06/8487157638/lightbox/

Last edited:
Thanks Maverickj
I build a small slide hammer to remove the washers (hope it works)
Parts arrived today so going to have a busy weekend

Ric

Back for an update
This engine proved to be a pig to work on.
3 of the copper washer came out but the last one I had to cut and ended up damaging the injector seat.:bang:
On top of that a bit from the washer dropped inside the engine and to removed it I had to remove the engine head...:bang:
Got the wrong rockers and glow plugs from the supplier so no chance of finishing the engine this weekend (rockers/leavers are cheaper from Peugeot then from the motor factors).
Pictures;
First one, 16 broken rockers
Second and 3rd, prove that cam belt failure doesn't damage the pistons
Fourth and 5th, prove that the valves don't get damaged from cam belt failure

Attachments

• motor 005.JPG
    motor 005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • motor 001.JPG
    motor 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • motor 002.JPG
    motor 002.JPG
    874.7 KB · Views: 47
  • motor 003.JPG
    motor 003.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 51
  • motor 004.JPG
    motor 004.JPG
    869.3 KB · Views: 48
Engine up and running...(y) :cool: (y)
Parts used;
Head gasket
Head bolts x10
Copper washers x4
Valve rockers x16
Rocker clips x16
Hydraulic lifters x16
Glow plugs x4
Cam belt kit (belt+roller+tensioner)
Water pump
Misc bits;
Black gasket seal
Anti freeze
Engine oil
Gearbox oil
The first 2 item were really my fault because I dropped a half of a copper washes inside the engine.
If you have to rebuild this engine count on 20 hours minimum to do the job it takes a good 4 hours just to remove it from the car and another 4 to put it back.
So after 400 odd quid I have a perfectly running engine but still need to sort a leak around the diesel filter.
If anyone needs some pointers in doing this job just let me know.
One thing, if someone needs rockers/clips and head bolts get them from Peugeot they are way cheaper from there.
Rockers- eurocar parts 14 quid each - Peugeot 5,98
Head bolts 126mm - 30 quid - 18.04 (pack of 10)

Ric

Last edited:
Back