Technical 2 things off my to do list .....

Currently reading:
Technical 2 things off my to do list .....

Today I ran out of fuel and also made it to 500 miles on a tank.

502 miles from 42.57 litres which is 53.6 mpg (56.7 indicated) :) If it wasn't snowy today I would have made it to the petrol station which wasn't much further. Very very silly thing to do in hindsight but at least that's my curiosity satisfied and I know just how big the tank is and no one was harmed.

It ran out of fuel about 15-20 miles after the 30 miles you have when the range goes blank which means there's a decent safety margin :)

I'm slightly surprised that it's somewhat of a fuelly record as some diseasel members are getting 60+ mpg and could probably go to 600 miles on a good run.

Jerry can in the boot next time then?

15-20 miles after the 30 mile warning is handy to know. I was wondering just how far i could push it.

A simple tip if you're serious about carrying a can of fuel in the boot - only fill it two thirds, and stick your knee into the side as you're tightening the cap, creating a vacuum in the can (assuming its plastic).
This way you'll avoid stinking your car out with fumes as the fuel inside the can expands in heat - and it will, even with a tiny temperature rise

Jerry can in the boot next time then?

15-20 miles after the 30 mile warning is handy to know. I was wondering just how far i could push it.

Well personally I'm not going to do it again. I always think it's nice to push the limits so that you know where the limits are and never go past them :)

I ran my car out of fuel once ( a 2006 1.4 ford fiesta ) but on that car the millage to empty meter counted right down to 0, then simultaneously ran out of fuel, luckly i was within rolling distance of the BP :) it was a very acurate trip computer, i also found the mpg calculater basicly spot on :) also i highly doubt you would ever need 5 litres of expansion space in the fuel system ! unless you was going from the artic to the sahara dessert in the space of 1 miles lol , i fill my car up till u can actually see the fuel coming through the metal cover :)

The fuel tank capacity of a 500 is 35 litres. If you put 42.57 litres into the car then you have likely overfilled it.

The manufacturer's recommended filling procedure as stated in the vehicle handbook:

REFILLING:

To ensure full fuel tank refilling, perform two topping up after the first stop of the nozzle. Do not top up further; this may cause anomalies in the fuel supply system.

(the bad grammar is FIAT's, not mine)

The fuel system is not designed to operate correctly if you brim the tank by putting in the maximum amount of fuel which is physically possible. The extra 7 1/2 litres you put in will fill tubes, pipes & other spaces intended to contain air & fuel vapour and this can compromise the integrity of your fuel system.

Can anyone translate this into normal speakin please? :confused:

Regarding the "anomalies" in the fuel system, i think that something is wrong with my abarth. in the two times i filled the car up untill now, my garage had a strong smell of fuel and a couple of fresh drips were found on the garage floor.

Regarding the "anomalies" in the fuel system, i think that something is wrong with my abarth. in the two times i filled the car up untill now, my garage had a strong smell of fuel and a couple of fresh drips were found on the garage floor.
Are the drips near the front of the car or the rear ??

Under the fuel tank
well i could be anything from faulty gas kits or seals etc to a leaking fuel pump (normally placed under rear seats under a plastic cover ) or maby a bloked fuel filter causing pressure in the system (very unlikley though)
or could be something as simple as not screwing the cap back on propally , id just take it back to fiat thats what they are there for :)

well i could be anything from faulty gas kits or seals etc to a leaking fuel pump (normally placed under rear seats under a plastic cover ) or maby a bloked fuel filter causing pressure in the system (very unlikley though)
or could be something as simple as not screwing the cap back on propally , id just take it back to fiat thats what they are there for :)

I'll give it one more chance as the dealership is far away. The thing is that this happens only the day i drive home from the gas station i.e. when the fuel tank is full.

I'll give it one more chance as the dealership is far away. The thing is that this happens only the day i drive home from the gas station i.e. when the fuel tank is full.
ok well it may be that ur over filling it and theres like a over flow sytem on it, but its highly unlikely they would design some thing to spill flamable liquid every where lol :)

Back