Technical 2.8 JTD cutting out in 5th

Currently reading:
Technical 2.8 JTD cutting out in 5th

Kcbnz

Hi all, I have a 2002 Ducato 2.8 JTD... It's engine cut out in 5th gear under load on 2 seperate occasions today... Engine restarted when changed down to 4th and carried on like no problem....

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or has an idea of cause please..

Many thanks
Casey

Hi Kcbnz,

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have any idea of engine rpm or road speed, when engine cut out?
The 2.8jtd has maximum torque at 1800rpm, which translates to about 86kph with usual high ratio fifth gear, which gives a large step up from fourth gear.
If the speeds drop below these figures, the torque developed reduces and the engine will stall, which seems possible from your description

Hi Kcbnz,

Welcome to the forum.
The 2.8jtd has maximum torque at 1800rpm, which translates to about 86kph with usual high ratio fifth gear, which gives a large step up from fourth gear.
If the speeds drop below these figures, the torque developed reduces and the engine will stall, which seems possible from your description
Thank you for your time replying, I will show the driver at the time and find out if that could of happened, I wasn't in the vehicle at the time so...
Kind regards

Hi Kcbnz,

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your comment. I'm in the process of doing some gearbox repairs as I had a fourh gear blockout. The baulk retainer spring of the synchro snapped. Upon stripping the gearbox I've noticed that my 5th gear had two teeth missing. After researchign the part numbers I've realised there was a new gear ratio introduced in 2004. My Van uses the 5th gear 53X31 whereas the new ratio gear is 45X33.
Now I can't recall ever having to fight between my 4th and 5th but my 5th would only work when I was on a straight flat, going uphill or crosswind would normallt require me to down to 4th. So if I go and change to the new ratio would that benefit me at all?

Hi Gustav,

Ouch! Two teeth missing, sounds a bit like me personally, as I am waiting for a tooth implant.

Hope that you found the missing teeth.

The lower ratio was an option on the x244, and was perhaps too low, so you may be interested in the attached post translated from Camperonline. I do not know what the availability of the parts will be.

I have travelled widely in NZ, so can you indulge my curiosity, by indicating where you are from?

Attachments

• Ducato Fifth Gear Modification..pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
Hi Gustav,

Ouch! Two teeth missing, sounds a bit like me personally, as I am waiting for a tooth implant.

Hope that you found the missing teeth.

The lower ratio was an option on the x244, and was perhaps too low, so you may be interested in the attached post translated from Camperonline. I do not know what the availability of the parts will be.

I have travelled widely in NZ, so can you indulge my curiosity, by indicating where you are from?
Thanks for sharing this doc. I'll take some time to review.
It's good to hear of your NZ travels. I'm based in Dunedin and have had the privilege to have travelled most of the South Island in our old Ducato named "Gatiep". A Common South African name of a old "Cape Malay fella". So much to still see thought.
Where did you travel through NZ

Back