Technical 2.8 JTD air filter housing

Currently reading:
Technical 2.8 JTD air filter housing

Tony57

Hi, I am trying to remove my 2005 2.8 JTD Ducato air filter housing. The filter housing is attached at the bottom to three rubber mounts with nuts accessible inside the housing. Unfortunately the nuts appear to be rusted onto the studs protruding from the rubber mounts. It feels the whole rubber mount is turning when I try to undo the nuts. Can anybody know if I can unbolt the rubber mounts where they are fitted to the chassis are remove the housing with the mounts attached? Are they attached to the chassis with nuts and is there any easy way to gain access to them? Thank you in advance. Kind regards Tony

Welcome to the forum Tony.

When faced with this problem I removed the filter housing complete with mounting bracket. At least one of the bolts required access from under the vehicle. With the assembly removed the three studs / nuts were treated with a Plusgas or similar. It was then possible to remove the nuts with an extended 10mm socket, while holding the hexagons on the mountings with an O/E spanner.

Old nuts were discarded. I was unable to source plain M6 washer faced nuts in stainless steel, so settled for nyloc nuts, and filed off the locking end. When reassembling, I added a smear of thick grease to the studs.

I recall that it was a bit fiddly removing the assembly past obstructions.

Another problem is that I am now unable to recover removed nuts with a magnetic pickup tool. I have to use a claw type of tool instead.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Tony.

When faced with this problem I removed the filter housing complete with mounting bracket. At least one of the bolts required access from under the vehicle. With the assembly removed the three studs / nuts were treated with a Plusgas or similar. It was then possible to remove the nuts with an extended 10mm socket, while holding the hexagons on the mountings with an O/E spanner.

Old nuts were discarded. I was unable to source plain M6 washer faced nuts in stainless steel, so settled for nyloc nuts, and filed off the locking end. When reassembling, I added a smear of thick grease to the studs.

I recall that it was a bit fiddly removing the assembly past obstructions.

Another problem is that I am now unable to recover removed nuts with a magnetic pickup tool. I have to use a claw type of tool instead.
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to consider my problem. I've just managed to slide my hand under the housing and it feels like that all three rubber mounts have been sheared off in the past. Hopefully I can remove the housing once I have disconnected all the pipes. Thank again.

Back