Technical 2.3 2017 ECU pinouts and location

Currently reading:
Technical 2.3 2017 ECU pinouts and location

Well for my sins i bought the cheapest picoscope, and had a play with injectors but
My current need is to access the ecu and crankshaft sensor (easiest at ecu, if i knew pinouts). or an easy place for wiring access to back probe.
Is there a wiring diagram for a x290 or even how to get at the ecu.
My injectors are above the Fiat limmit for variance. I have scoped all 4 for voltage and current will eventualy post here when i know what im doing. I have access to an expert on diagnosing with a scope but he needs a waveform from the crankshaft sensor to tie in with existing traces to identify the one cylinder causing the others to compensate. I have also done a leak test and would like to complete scope tests before reacting.
While i'm asking questions if i remove an injector what parts need replacing with new? copper washer, high pressure pipes or connectors, leak off o rings.
how to clean up injector seat. Is there just one bolt clamping each injector.

Well for my sins i bought the cheapest picoscope, and had a play with injectors but
My current need is to access the ecu and crankshaft sensor (easiest at ecu, if i knew pinouts). or an easy place for wiring access to back probe.
My injectors are above the Fiat limmit for variance. I have scoped all 4 for voltage and current will eventualy post here when i know what im doing. I have access to an expert on diagnosing with a scope but he needs a waveform from the crankshaft sensor to tie in with existing traces to identify the one cylinder causing the others to compensate. I have also done a leak test and would like to complete scope tests before reacting.
While i'm asking questions if i remove an injector what parts need replacing with new? copper washer, high pressure pipes or connectors, leak off o rings.
Congratulations, I would have liked to dip my toe in but at 70 understanding wave forms etc. would be a hard learning curve, last time I used an oscilloscope was a Crypton Tuning one in around 1976;).
Doesn't Pico Technology give any assistance I thought they were meant to be quite good on back up support?
I have removed, stripped, ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt the Bosch magnetic solenoid injectors on 1.6 Fords and 1.3 Fiat Multijets, etc. but I understand the later stuff uses piezo actuation at higher voltages via the ECU using capacitors rather than the early magnetic ones.
The 1.3 Fiat ones were one clamp holding two injectors down which was a poor idea resulting in leaks and gumming up the injectors in the head unlike later versions, I had to use a slide hammer kit and lots of releasing oil etc., then a kit to recut the seats , followed by new copper washers.
I didn't need to fit new pipes or other O rings etc.
Out of curiosity what were the leak off results?
Don't know if this is relevant , but it is from a AutoData 2008 manual on waveforms.

Attachments

• DSCF1026.JPG
    DSCF1026.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 46
If the ECU used is still a Bosch EDC16C39, then perhaps for pinout, try looking at x250 Training Manual pages 90 - 92.

@bugsymike
Its the cheapest £100 automotive support doesnt come into play until you spend £400+, however there is very good support on youtube but not the specifics like whereto probe on a ducato.
20230706_pico.jpg

20230706_Clamp.jpg

Note on 1st picy there are 2 attenuators , one on each channel, an attenuator is not required for the clampmeter

Here are 2 runs on the leak off test
AJS08279.JPG

engineAtest 2 leakoff.JPG

There is good info out there but i was really suprised (shouldn't have been) wheen my injectors were nothing like examples on Yutube. had to join faceache and another group and got the example from PICO library. I will post eventualy. Its not difficult, just initialy daunting.

Last edited:
@Communicator thanks for the post
Unfortunately my ecu is a Marelli 9DF CF6 but expect position is simular
Had a look at sujested doccument , exactly what i want for my vehicle. I was hoping there may be some simularity and i could get away with it, but i noticed the K line diagnostics, so not even can bus, no can Hi or Can lo to be found

Last edited:
Wow ! Pretty conclusive on the leak test;).
I was going to ask about attenuators due to higher voltage at injectors, though from the look of them yours are Bosch injectors , I wonder if they are similar to the ones I stripped down, it was a couple of years ago now and my eyes are not so sharp.
I was able to get parts from Darwen Diesels.
Re the Can H and L can you read them from the EOBD port using a break out box.
At least your injectors don't all look gummed up so hopefully come out easily.
I would probably just change the badly leaking one which must be affecting rail pressure a bit.
I found some help on uTube Snap On Training videos.
I did see a Pico Demonstration at a Mechanics Show some years ago on the more expensive varieties, but as retiring I couldn't justify the expense.
This break out box comes with a pass through EOBD wire so you can have a diagnostic tool connected as well. Sorry picture not good, but it lists all the EOBD pinouts to test etc.

Attachments

• DSCF1028.JPG
    DSCF1028.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 25
Wow ! Pretty conclusive on the leak test;).
I was going to ask about attenuators due to higher voltage at injectors, though from the look of them yours are Bosch injectors , I wonder if they are similar to the ones I stripped down, it was a couple of years ago now and my eyes are not so sharp.
I was able to get parts from Darwen Diesels.
Re the Can H and L can you read them from the EOBD port using a break out box.
At least your injectors don't all look gummed up so hopefully come out easily.
I would probably just change the badly leaking one which must be affecting rail pressure a bit.
I found some help on uTube Snap On Training videos.
I did see a Pico Demonstration at a Mechanics Show some years ago on the more expensive varieties, but as retiring I couldn't justify the expense.
This break out box comes with a pass through EOBD wire so you can have a diagnostic tool connected as well. Sorry picture not good, but it lists all the EOBD pinouts to test etc.
Yes a conclusive test.
The voltage is 49V so attenuators required.
I was hoping to get evidence a second way but will have to get injector sorted.

Yes a conclusive test.
The voltage is 49V so attenuators required.
I was hoping to get evidence a second way but will have to get injector sorted.
If they are the same Bosch type injectors I worked on I was able to do a basic test when reassembled using an old 600Bar Pop Type diesel injector tester but my "splashing" a quick connection using my 24 Volt Jump pack which was enough to trigger the injectors and show a reasonable jet pattern.

Back