IMG_4676.JPG

Panda (Classic) 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz "Pandino"

Introduction

Hey everyone, let me introduce you to my first car! :)

The car is a 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz, 999cc engine with fuel injection, only 26,000 miles at the time of buying. Nicknamed "Pandino" by the previous owner, and I'll make sure that name sticks! :D

Pictures are compulsory of course, so I've attached some of my first images that I've taken of the car. You'll likely find various other pictures in this thread when I get some things done to it! I attached the pictures to this post and I've uploaded one to the gallery so that I can have this one embedded! :rolleyes:
DSC_000824.JPG

*Following list is from original post, more has been done since, read thread for more*
What have I done already? Well I haven't even had the car for a couple of days yet, but I've done a few things...
  1. Used upholstery cleaner on the dirty ceiling, definitely needs some more though!
  2. Figured out how to do everything (i.e. parcel shelf removal, putting seats down, seat positions, mirrors etc)!
  3. Cleaned all the windows and mirrors!
  4. Checked all fluids and oil levels!
  5. Checked all lights/buttons!
  6. Checked tyre pressures, which I might decrease in the rear as they're running quite high!
  7. Took out the spare wheel/tyre, gave it a good clean but it is showing it's age, though it's been pumped up so it'll get me home if I need it now!
  8. Took the seal/cover off the heater matrix to remove the forest that was growing within it...
  9. Tried taking off the grille but couldn't get one of the centre poppers off and the front screws look a bit rounded off...
  10. Ran the car and moved it on the driveway!
  11. Put a blanket, a bag, a tool extension and a first aid kit in the boot!

*Following list is from original post, read thread for more*
What I plan to do next...
  1. Clean, clean, clean!
  2. Hopefully obtain new badges for the front and rear as all are discoloured!
  3. Try and clean the garage to fit the car in (or more likely at this time, find a suitable car cover for it)!
  4. Seal doors to prevent rust!
  5. Get some touch up paint for areas where paint has come away!
  6. Buy some Fiat Forum stickers of course!
  7. Potentially buy new number plates or at least replace some screws as they're looking a bit worn!
  8. What ever else I end up thinking of... follow the thread and read for more!

I also plan to go to some Panda classic events with others. I'll keep an eye out, but feel free to invite me to something if you've got something/see something going on!

That's about all I can think of right now! It feels so strange having a car, I'm very happy to have bought a car I really wanted. I've been looking for ages. :worship: If you have any questions about it then please do ask! I'm very happy to talk about my car! (y)
Yes on the thicker areas don't be scared of sanding a little, but otherwise as long as it's red just go for it. Remember thin coats always!
Thanks - probably best to go for some wet and dry then, any recommendations? I can pick up some wet and dry from my workplace tomorrow.

Probably best to go for some because of the slightly higher coat in the middle. Only reason it's like that is because I ran out of paint half way through one of the previous coats, silly me, but hopefully a light sanding won't hurt and I can put the lacquer on after that! :D

2500 fine wet and dry paper acquired. Will get on that when I next get time!

Tonight's job was tyre pressures and painting underneath the rear seats. Attached a picture of the seat as it was before with the brown bits, and a new picture with the wet paint applied... I think the Halfords satin black turned out quite well!

Next up is getting that wet and dry paper and lacquer sorted on the grille so the badge can go on! Still deciding, but I think I'll stick to the one badge. Getting the two may be a bit overkill!

Attachments

• 13901933_1136796476392843_2053139384_o.jpg
    13901933_1136796476392843_2053139384_o.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • pjCiJGC.jpg
    pjCiJGC.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 121
Which black paint you got from halford?
I was thinking of using hammerite myself
[emoji106]

Which black paint you got from halford?
I was thinking of using hammerite myself
[emoji106]
The Hammerite is probably good stuff on there, I'm pretty sure they do that in satin black too.

But I just bought the standard 300ml satin black, Halfords own make, like in the attached picture. Nothing too fancy, just does the job! Pretty close colour match to the underside of the seat!

Attachments

• 468835.jpg
    468835.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 33
Nah it won't hurt, anything over 2400 with plenty of water to prevent lines in the finish. Don't worry it will look even better when it's done :)
Hi Andy, used wet and dry 2500 wet and dry paper with loads of water a couple days ago on the grille, checked today and some parts looked like it had more of a pink look instead of red look on the grille...

I didn't think I had done anything wrong but it didn't look like it should have been like that. I put another coat of red on and it's looking good now. Should I do more wet and dry or should I just lacquer it as it is?

That's good yes it will be fine, just put on thin coats don't let it run. After the first coat let it fully dry before adding the second. Look for "shrinkage" in the lacquer, this looks like cracks in the coat (easy to spot) if you get large areas of these just let me know, I will advise you accordingly. If not just crack on with another 2 coats.

That's good yes it will be fine, just put on thin coats don't let it run. After the first coat let it fully dry before adding the second. Look for "shrinkage" in the lacquer, this looks like cracks in the coat (easy to spot) if you get large areas of these just let me know, I will advise you accordingly. If not just crack on with another 2 coats.
Hi Andy, I've done two coats of lacquer so far. Mostly looks okay but I see some spots on the front of the grille (dry now). I'm not sure if that's something underneath or overspray or what, I did try best I can with diluted thinners to get everything off before starting.

Should I wet and dry to get the spots off, carry on building up more lacquer to build it up to the same height, or something else? Not sure why they're there, can take a picture if you don't know what I mean tomorrow. Thanks!

If you could take a picture that would help, has the lacquer shrunk and cracked in these areas?
Pictures are not the best on my phone but attached 4 pics now. Just looks like little bubbles or splodges, not sure what to do with them, any idea?

Attachments

• 2sauGeR.jpg
    2sauGeR.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 33
  • KfW7PSb.jpg
    KfW7PSb.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Wfyr748.jpg
    Wfyr748.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • WrnMl2t.jpg
    WrnMl2t.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
To be honest I think that is just due to the spray can spraying out a little to much or dripping. Keep on building coats and we'll see how it goes. Good work!
Could very much be a drip actually as I spray. Not sure how many to put on and how long to wait between coats, any guide or just go for it?

Suppose wet and dry could ruin future lacquer coats as well if I did it now and sprayed on top. Maybe I need to go for even thinner coats as I spray, or maybe I'm fine and it's just the can! :p Hopefully it goes or it can at least be sorted though!

Don't worry about the number of coats, just don't put too much on at once or it will run. I normally put at least 5 coats on when I do wheels. Each coat should be touch dry before the next goes on, normally 2-3 hours. Cover the grill fully to achieve an all over "wet look" with each coat. Is that OK mate?

Don't worry about the number of coats, just don't put too much on at once or it will run. I normally put at least 5 coats on when I do wheels. Each coat should be touch dry before the next goes on, normally 2-3 hours. Cover the grill fully to achieve an all over "wet look" with each coat. Is that OK mate?
That's great, thanks Andy! Will have a go at cracking on with it tomorrow hopefully, and will follow this advice when I go for it. Will keep y'all updated... thanks again :)

Next coat went on earlier, waiting for it to dry for the next to go on. Still getting a bit of a spitting I think, not sure how this is going to turn out. Will see what happens when this next coat goes on in a bit!

Next coat went on earlier, waiting for it to dry for the next to go on. Still getting a bit of a spitting I think, not sure how this is going to turn out. Will see what happens when this next coat goes on in a bit!

It look good to me..
Maybe try to spray not too close
I find out that 20/25cm it's the perfect distance for me.. At least when using plastidip paint
Be sure to make fast stroke horizontally and the next one vertically
Hope to see more pics soon
[emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

If you continue to get blobs coming out you should hang the grill up somewhere rather than spraying it from the top down (I am only presuming this is how you are already doing it). Keep strokes slow and steady from left to right, stopping at the end of each stroke and starting again at the beginning of the next, sounds dodgy I'm sorry!

If you continue to get blobs coming out you should hang the grill up somewhere rather than spraying it from the top down (I am only presuming this is how you are already doing it). Keep strokes slow and steady from left to right, stopping at the end of each stroke and starting again at the beginning of the next, sounds dodgy I'm sorry!
Just finished coat 4. This one didn't turn out too badly, yes I have been spraying top down... though for coat 5 I may try this advice and go for it hanging up if possible. Attached a pic, still got some blobs, do you think this will go after a couple more coats or should I do something about them?
It look good to me..
Maybe try to spray not too close
I find out that 20/25cm it's the perfect distance for me.. At least when using plastidip paint
Be sure to make fast stroke horizontally and the next one vertically
Hope to see more pics soon
[emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]
Yeah, the can says spray 25cm away so I'm trying to be that far away from it but the blobs still occurred, maybe I need to hang it up as Andy said! Will see what happens on coat 5!

Attachments

• znmaNfb.jpg
    znmaNfb.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
It looks like you are getting a very dry finish, it should be smooth, (it looks quite rough in the photo?) and 5 coats should be more than enough to get a good finish. I would check the nozzle on the can is clear and you are not moving too fast as Andy says.
Yeah, did seem a bit rough before now. After doing coat 5 just now, it's looking quite a bit smoother. I did both of what was suggested - slower movement and had the grille upright instead of flat.

I need to give the grille another clean tomorrow and then I'll decide if it needs one more coat or if I think it's ready for the car as is. Not every single splodge is gone but it's smoother than before now! Will see how good it is tomorrow, if not good enough then one more coat should hopefully do it... :p

Unless any of you have any other ideas on how to get rid of the splodges, I'll go with that, thanks for the help all :slayer:

Back