Technical 15" winter steels on Bravo T-Jet Dynamic?

Currently reading:
Technical 15" winter steels on Bravo T-Jet Dynamic?

Hey guys.

I am going to invest in a set of winter steel wheels for my Bravo T-Jet 150 dynamic

Couple of reasons - number one being that when we get the snow in my area, we really get the snow, and winter tyres make getting around a hell of a lot easier. Secondly, I don't want to ruin my car's 17" alloys in the winter. Thirdly, I want to refurb my car's alloys during this winter including a colour change, so having a second set of wheels would make that easier.

I've had a look on mytyres.co.uk where they can supply steel wheels fitted with winter tyres. I am not fussed about brands for winter tyres, I don't really need high speed grip as I take it easy in winter weather anyway. But the cost is a concern.

I can get a set of 4 15" steel wheels fitted with Nankang SV-2 195/65R15 tyres for a shade under £340 including delivery. (wheel specs: 6 x 15 4 x 98.00 x 58.00 ET: 31.50 4-hole steel wheel)

The same brand of tyres in 205/55R16, and fitted to 16" steels, comes in at around £410 including delivery. (wheel specs: 7 x 16 4 x 98.00 x 58.00 ET: 31.00 4-hole steel wheel)

So obviously the 15" option is the cheaper one to go for. But am I not right in saying that the Bravo would normally come with 16" steel wheels?

I have checked out www.willtheyfit.com which gives you calculations of differences in size, and the 15" tyre size as far as rolling circumference goes is practically exactly the same as the 17s, the wheel also appears to sit slightly further away from the suspension components on their diagram

My only other question is, will the 15" fit OK? For example, will they clear the brakes, suspension etc?

Hey guys.

I am going to invest in a set of winter steel wheels for my Bravo T-Jet 150 dynamic

Couple of reasons - number one being that when we get the snow in my area, we really get the snow, and winter tyres make getting around a hell of a lot easier. Secondly, I don't want to ruin my car's 17" alloys in the winter. Thirdly, I want to refurb my car's alloys during this winter including a colour change, so having a second set of wheels would make that easier.

I've had a look on mytyres.co.uk where they can supply steel wheels fitted with winter tyres. I am not fussed about brands for winter tyres, I don't really need high speed grip as I take it easy in winter weather anyway. But the cost is a concern.

I can get a set of 4 15" steel wheels fitted with Nankang SV-2 195/65R15 tyres for a shade under £340 including delivery. (wheel specs: 6 x 15 4 x 98.00 x 58.00 ET: 31.50 4-hole steel wheel)

The same brand of tyres in 205/55R16, and fitted to 16" steels, comes in at around £410 including delivery. (wheel specs: 7 x 16 4 x 98.00 x 58.00 ET: 31.00 4-hole steel wheel)

So obviously the 15" option is the cheaper one to go for. But am I not right in saying that the Bravo would normally come with 16" steel wheels?

I have checked out www.willtheyfit.com which gives you calculations of differences in size, and the 15" tyre size as far as rolling circumference goes is practically exactly the same as the 17s, the wheel also appears to sit slightly further away from the suspension components on their diagram

My only other question is, will the 15" fit OK? For example, will they clear the brakes, suspension etc?

I seem to recollect there was a 15" wheel specified for a Bravo, but I don't think it was available as an option in the UK. If you do want to go the 15" route, ask your insurance company if you will be covered in the event of an accident.

The owners manual shows 15" wheels with 195/65/15 as an option for all models, so they will fit with no problems. But as neilshep has said, it's a good idea to check with your insurer first - there are some that don't even like you using winter tyres at all, crazy huh!

Ah, yeah, good shout on the insurance.

Never had a problem before, but I am with a company now that I've never used before, so I better check with them.

I know there were a lot of moves not that long ago to block insurers from penalising you for fitting winter tyres, but I dunno if it ever came to anything.

Well, apparently my insurance company's Customer Services department is open at 8pm on a Monday night!

Just spoke to them and they are happy with that. As long as the wheels and tyres are the correct spec for my car, they have no issues with fitting winter wheels

Personally I'd just get a pair / set of second hand steelies or alloys and then order the tyres separately.

I've got a couple of spare 16" coupe alloys which I think should fit on the Bravo so was planning to use them for winter. Another strange one is I think you are supposed to fit zero or 4 winter tyres - never made much sense as they are only really needed on the driving wheels...

Personally I'd just get a pair / set of second hand steelies or alloys and then order the tyres separately.

I've got a couple of spare 16" coupe alloys which I think should fit on the Bravo so was planning to use them for winter. Another strange one is I think you are supposed to fit zero or 4 winter tyres - never made much sense as they are only really needed on the driving wheels...

Its when you turn corners. If the front wheels are winters and therefore have decent grip in the snow, you turn in, the rears dont have as much and can easily break away and spin you round.

Don't buy Nankangs for god's sake. They are the ultimated cliched boy-racer bodge.

Why go to all the trouble of getting the wheels and tyres, and skimp a few quid buying rubbish rubber? How much will you really save compared to what you spend filling the car up with juice?

Find the wheels then do a little research around the forum before committing to tyres (but avoid the ridiculous thread on the 500 forum, 600 pages of total waffle!)

I would normally go for secondhand steelies, but yes, they are as rare as rocking horse s@#t, and as such command a premium.

I have found that even cheapo winter tyres are better than the best of summer tyres when the bad weather comes.

And i have to agree about fitting 4. I fitted two to the front of my last car and the back end kept stepping out, even at low speeds, whereas it didnt happen with 4 fitted.

Fair enough if the back end of a Bravo likes to step out in the snow.

Only car I've needed winter tyres on before was a mk1 Zafira and no issues at all having them front only. Though I guess could be a lot to do with the weight + lack of power.

I used to have a wee mk1 ka and it would go anywhere on normal tyres.

Are there any 16" winter tyres people would recommend for the Bravo?

I have 195/65/15 winter tyres on my Bravo in winter time.Last year we had a lot of snow.I live at 850m above see level and in one day we can have a meter or even more of snow.Driving Bravo with such tyres produced no problems at all.And I have to go to work every day as you guys and was doing between 3500-4000km per month. 15inch and a bit narrower tyres produce more pressure on the surface, so they grip better. On the first picture is my father taken 8th of December 2012, on the second is me with my daughter Hana Pia with me, I am 1.8m tall and on the third is after some more snow :) Bravos are just awsome.

Attachments

• CAM00658.jpg
    CAM00658.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • P2240024.JPG
    P2240024.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P2240010.JPG
    P2240010.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back