100m Mosque in London

Currently reading:
100m Mosque in London

Not sure if anyone read the 'unelected quango' link, but there's a few interesting snippets in there:

"Plans by the Muslim sect Tablighi Jamaat to build the mosque have aroused concern as the group has been accused of drawing young men towards an extremist version of Islam."

And:

Dr Patrick Sookhdeo, director of the Institute for the Study of Islam and Christianity, said: "This will be nothing less than an Islamic quarter of our capital city. But has anyone asked the people of West Ham? The non-Muslims? The moderate Muslims? The Muslim women?"

And:

Tablighi Jamaat has been described by French intelligence as "an antechamber of fundamentalism", something the group denies.

Go here for the full report:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...+decide+on+mosque+for+Olympic+site/article.do

To be honest, all this thread and the various discussions/ news reports shows to me is how religion divides people and generates animosity. It could be argued that non Muslims are simply being racist/ anti-Islamic by objecting, but by the same token it could suggest that this Muslim group has no intention of integrating into British society. Instead, by building such a huge Islamic mosque they will be changing the very fabric of that area of London.

I have no objections to any religious building being built, but I do think it is wrong to have one of that magnitude. That whole area of London will turn into a mini Islam, and most likely most non-muslims will move away as a result. That to me doesn't promote integration, but rather segregation.

My final thought is that this is exactly why I turned my back on any form of religion. Religion generates animosity, hatred, racism and divides communities. Until religious followers accept other faiths and live in harmonious communities rather than divide them, it has no part in my life.

Peace!

:peace:

Back