Technical 100hp rear dampers choice

Currently reading:
Technical 100hp rear dampers choice

Ollster

Trying to decide which dampers to go for on the back of my 100hp as the bushes are probably past their best on mine. I really like idea of going for the oe bilsteins as they designed specifically for the 100hp but i am concered they will be no better at controlling the rear end than the oe setup (has anyone got this setup?).

So next i started looking at koni's, i originally looked at the sports but from this site http://panda100hp.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/koni-13.jpg it seems that the top eye metal insert on these has a bigger ID than the oe units which from an engineering perspective i dont like the idea of.

This then led me onto the koni str which some people say still offer an improvement over standard. Can anyone confirm this along with if they share the same larger top eye metal insert as the sports? Also both the sports and str are non 100hp specific so i assume they will have a longer damper rod, does this cause the spring to become loose when the car is fully jacked up as i dont fancy having to tie wrap my spring on!

Olly,

Have a decent read of the other threads before making a decision, but in summary:

There was an improvement when I fitted the bilsteins, but that was probably mostly due to the old shocks being totally sh@gged.

The koni sports wound down to almost their softest setting give a good compromise between comfort and control. The 100HP is never going to be a smooth ride!

Given that the SRT.T shocks are meant to be set at sport "soft", then this may be a good way of saving cash. But I have no direct experience.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply the str's do sound perfect. Could anyone comment on whether the springs are still retained when the axle is completly unloaded, and if the have the correct sized top eye unlike the koni sports?

I had Koni Sports on the back of my 100HP and there were no issues; the bushes are solid, rather than the standard ones, which have sectors of space (if you see what I mean), so the location top and bottom is more solid than standard.

Thanks for all the input; the links in my previous post are for a panda 100hp kit, I'm not saying it's going to cause an issue simply that from an engineering perspective it's poor and wondered if the metal insert in the str's had the correct internal diameter so the bolt fits snugly like the oe shocks.

Thanks for all the input; the links in my previous post are for a panda 100hp kit, I'm not saying it's going to cause an issue simply that from an engineering perspective it's poor and wondered if the metal insert in the str's had the correct internal diameter so the bolt fits snugly like the oe shocks.

There seems to be some discrepancy here as several people who've had the Koni Sports actually put on their 100HPs confirm that there is no problem with the internal diameter of the bushes on the top of the damper - we're not saying that it doesn't fit but it's good enough, we're saying that the bush does fit the bolt. Have Koni changed the bush? Are there different bolt diameters depending on which OEM dampers are being replaced? I still have the originals that were taken off the car - a 58 plate bought in October 2008 - it's dark and pissing with rain outside so I'll go out to the garage tomorrow morning and measure the top bush.

Yeh it's possible that koni have modified their design in which case I applologies for rambling on about it. It's just seeing as koni supply factory kits for the abarth which have the same issue I was a bit dubious about them resolving the issue.

I appreciate you measuring up your oe shocks, the guys on the abarth forum have actually been sourcing new bolts to fix the problem looking here.

I assume there is little difference between the panda and 500 rear suspension other than the anti roll bar...

Be interested to know if different dampers were fitted during production as mine are original and made by cofap but they also have gas pressurised written on the body and I was led to believe oem's are just oil filled.

I think changing the bolts to a thicker diameter would be a easy fix but if Koni are selling a product that states it's suitable for the Panda and the damper bore is too big that's pretty poor in my opinion. I'd rather go for the Bilstein's that have a perfect fit, not a bodge job.

Standard dampers taken from my 58 plate, October 2008 100HP - Metal sleeve in the upper bush has 10 mm internal diameter (and the bush itself has gaps in the rubber at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock); sleeve in lower bush has 12 mm internal diameter (and the bush is entire). There is a generous clearance on the upper sleeve, the fit on the lower one is slightly less loose.

KYB dampers for sale

In case anyone is interested the KYB dampers pictured in the thread linked below are for sale, part number 343486. I ended up replacing the standard parts on the car like-for-like. I found it difficult to get the KYB ones to adequately clamp down, I suspect because the lower eye seemed to be ever so slightly larger than standard. I seem to recall people encountering a similar issue with other brands (Koni/Bilstein?) and it being overcome quite simply, but having the others on hand it was quicker to go standard.

Previous post with pics:
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/33259...ml#post3316829

They are more or less as new, and a bargain (IMO) at £40 + P&P. They are in SE London and could probably be posted although I'd prefer collection. I may also be able deliver anywhere between SE London and W/NW London depending on location.

hi guys im in the process of changing my suspension. my problem is the bump stops, can I just remove them all together? or do I have to keep them for maybe mot's?

Back