General 100hp as my first car, no regrets!

Currently reading:
General 100hp as my first car, no regrets!

huzi

So I've always been absolutely car crazy, pretty much all my life. Got out of school and jumped into an apprenticeship. My placement is in a Fiat/Abarth/Alfa service centre.

Last month I passed my driving test and it came time to pick a car. Searched hours on end, no luck. It was either too much to buy or too much to insure. Then along came a Panda 100hp in our garage for a service.

From then I was sold. Last week I went straight to the sales department, found a lovely red 2009 100hp with 26,000 miles on it and reserved it. I've had it for 2 days and I'm absolutely loving it! It used to belong to a salesman at another Fiat branch who fitted the Abarth 500 exhaust to it and it sounds fantastic.

Haven't had the chance to see what fuel consumption it like yet but in everything else it ticks my boxes (except the CD player only showing a maximum of 24 tracks and cheap tyres causing excess road noise)

I shall try to get a sound clip of the lovely exhaust in action. Just need to find a place I won't get shouted at for giving it a few revs :p

Attachments

• 1398539596908.jpg
    1398539596908.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 116
  • 1398539613573.jpg
    1398539613573.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 141
Welcome and what great choice for your first car! There are many people who just don't understand the Panda 100hp but you seem to be a particularly intelligent new driver (y)

Enjoy your car and pleeease take it easy - NO showing off - right?!!!

Ha ha, sorry it's the teacher in me :p

EDIT: And I'm thinking of fitting a 500 Abarth back box to mine so I'm interested to hear what yours sounds like.

Last edited:
Welcome, very cool first car! they are so much fun for what they are, i've had cars with 3 times the power in the past but none have put as big a smile on my face as my 100hp for everyday driving.

Looks great, nice to see you've got it in the fastest colour too (y)!

Get those cheap, nasty tyres off ASAP and you'll really be able to experience the fun you can have in a 100HP. Goodyear Eagle F1s are the OEM tyre, but Uniroyal Rainsport 2s or 3s also seem to be a good choice, seeing as the UK is pretty damp a lot of the time.

Also, be careful if it's your first car...don't become a statistic, but do have fun :)!

Great looking example - apart from the :cry: exhaust - you HAVE to lose the outlet pipes, they look rather silly.. far, far too large.. too chavvy. Put standard size outlets on and it would look far far better.. oh, and yes, get some good quality tyres or it may be a very short love affair..(y)
Welcome and enjoy.

Hi and welcome to the club bud!

You can ignore pretty much everything Captaintroll here says, his favourite word is chav, you will hear it a lot on here, so please forgive him, he means well thou. ;)

Tires and headunit will be to personal preferences and budget so, do your own research and pick what yu like really.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

A good site to help you choose a write tire.

I wouldn't recommend modding your first car straight away, as the insurance will go up massively. Just learn the car and enjoy it. If you near South Downs you might want to visit Auto Italia on the 3rd of May. Links should be all over forum right now. Something you might enjoy since you are crazy about cars! (y)

Enjoy your car and pleeease take it easy - NO showing off - right?!!!

Ha ha, sorry it's the teacher in me :p

Haha, it's ok, I'm low on money so I'm granny driving till my wage. Plus I tend to make sure I don't rally a car unless it's a clear smooth dry road and there's a BMW rammed right up my backside that won't back off :p

you HAVE to lose the outlet pipes, they look rather silly.. far, far too large..

You kidding me? The exhaust is the best part! It sounds too amazing to take it off.

I wouldn't recommend modding your first car straight away, as the insurance will go up massively. Just learn the car and enjoy it. If you near South Downs you might want to visit Auto Italia on the 3rd of May. Links should be all over forum right now. Something you might enjoy since you are crazy about cars! (y)

I'm gonna hold off the mods till my insurance premium drops. It's perfect as it is right now! Well, except the super tiny wing mirrors :p

Luckily, working at a Fiat service center means I have parts on hand and can experiment a bit :LOL:

And yeah, I live no where near South Downs :p I'm up in Scotland. Although it would make for a lovely road trip!

EDIT: And I'm thinking of fitting a 500 Abarth back box to mine so I'm interested to hear what yours sounds like.

I'll try my best to find a spot tomorrow. Got a few places in mind! Won't be overdoing the revs though. Gotta keep it running smoooooooth :p

Last edited:
Well, except the super tiny wing mirrors :p

Luckily, working at a Fiat service center means I have parts on hand and can experiment a bit :LOL:

Well since you have access to parts you might source large mirrors for your Panda ;)

they look like this if you havent seen them before. Some guys here who found mirrors too small upgraded to these mirrors and are very happy with them now.

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10277133_633770636692625_273207040943315362_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10155948_10203779723039930_6299481529530544786_n.jpg

As for Auto Italia, its every year at Brooklands Museum and is worth visiting atleast once. Maybe next year, its get crazy amount of Italian cars show up. If its not a 1.000 cars then its close to that.

Here is one of the photo albums from last year https://www.flickr.com/photos/wessexcarclub/sets/72157633402344945/

Well since you have access to parts you might source large mirrors for your Panda ;)

A technician at work actually has the 2010 1.1 Panda with the bigger mirrors and he reckons they would work fine. I'll need to either find red or brushed aluminium backs :p

And those Auto Italia cars look gorgeous! I'll have to go now :p

Dont look for specific covers (unless there are there already) just get normal ones and wrap them in what you like. I bought Brushed Steel wrap 300mm x 1500mm for £4 of eBay with free P&P

IMG_6094-1024x764.jpg

. Plus I tend to make sure I don't rally a car unless it's a clear smooth dry road and there's a BMW rammed right up my backside that won't back off :p
I thought you had just passed your test and this was your first car ? - with that kind of outlook you wont last long, pity for other road users as well. Walk before you can run dear boy...:rolleyes:

You kidding me? The exhaust is the best part! It sounds too amazing to take it off.
If you actually read what I said.:rolleyes: - it was to lose the outlet pipes. Not the exhaust although there is no reason for it. The outlets are not the exhaust - you will learn that as you progress through your 'apprencticeship' .. obviously early days now huh ?(y)

Another statistic in the making if you continue with that kind of outlook. or, more likely, someone else or their family will become the statistic when you 'rally drive' :tosser:

Last edited:
Firstly welcome, we take care of each other on here, so, learn the car.
In my view leave the tyres on they will slow you down, if you wish to learn how to go quick, go get some lessons at the track.
You have a nice first car, get a stop lock so it stays as yours!
The small mirrors can be an issue, but as you are not used to anything else, should be ok - I am.
Other than that enjoy a car only the Italians could conceive.

I thought you had just passed your test and this was your first car ? - with that kind of outlook you wont last long, pity for other road users as well. Walk before you can run dear boy...:rolleyes:

If you actually read what I said.:rolleyes: - it was to lose the outlet pipes. Not the exhaust although there is no reason for it. The outlets are not the exhaust - you will learn that as you progress through your 'apprencticeship' .. obviously early days now huh ?(y)

Another statistic in the making if you continue with that kind of outlook. or, more likely, someone else or their family will become the statistic when you 'rally drive' :tosser:

I've been driving roughly 2 years in my mum's car (Toyota Yaris Verso). Was super careful to begin with but was completely comfortable with the car after a few months. Only thing that held me back from doing the test was money, had to do professional lessons before taking my test and they cost a fair bit.

As for rallying the car, I only did it closer to my test and only when it was safe to do so. I may be 18 but I'm not a retard, I do know when it's safe to do so.

And yes, I'm only a few months into the apprenticeship. Still getting to know things.

I've only had the car a few days, I don't wanna do anything to it yet. Although the tiny mirrors are really annoying me now.

Firstly welcome, we take care of each other on here, so, learn the car.
In my view leave the tyres on they will slow you down, if you wish to learn how to go quick, go get some lessons at the track.
You have a nice first car, get a stop lock so it stays as yours!
The small mirrors can be an issue, but as you are not used to anything else, should be ok - I am.
Other than that enjoy a car only the Italians could conceive.

Thanks mate, not gonna bother changing the tyres until I need to change em due to wear and tear. Was planning on buying some racing experience days anyways but money is an issue, especially now that I have a car to look after :p

I'm used to big mirrors, the Yaris Verso may be a fairly big car for a learner but the mirrors could reflect the entire world :p

Again guys, anything that I plan on doing or people advise I do won't be right now. The car has been in my ownership for 3 days for god sake :LOL:

Looks good!

Ignore certain people and hope you stick around!

Thanks! I shall :p

Got my Samsung Note 2 bluetoothed to the car, some folk were saying it doesn't work with android but it seems to with mine. Pressing the call button activates Google Now or S-Voice (Google Now works so much better).

I really want Bluetooth audio streaming though (a2dp) and I know you can do the whole a2dp adapter plugged into the aux lead but I want the steering wheel controls for back and forward. Amy ideas?

Great looking panda sir! Love the exhaust it's abit different to what everyone else runs but it stands out! That Arnold Clarke bright yellow sticker on the back window would be the first thing I would remove!!! :)

Great looking panda sir! Love the exhaust it's abit different to what everyone else runs but it stands out! That Arnold Clarke bright yellow sticker on the back window would be the first thing I would remove!!! :)

Was literally just about to do that right now :p

Alright guys! Some quick updates here!

1. Lemme just get this ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC one out of the way and make it clear that I did nothing

The car is damaged.
Story goes like this. Park at friend's house after long day at work. Put car in reverse and turn wheel in since it's a steep hill. Go in friend's house. Feel hungry. Go out to car. Find massive dent in front wing. Ask neighbors. No one saw. Cry. Drive car. Cry more as it pulls to the left. Put it on a ramp at work. Cry more as I found out the lower arm had been bent. Cry further when parts department say a new wing NOT PAINTED is £85 and to get it painted and fitted is £200-300 (I'm on an apprentice wage so this hurts me deeply)

2. Finally got my rev and acceleration video done! For all you 1.1 Easy bores, it was a quiet road, yes I know there was a diesel Astra Estate driving past and some dude further down but it's a wide open straight road just off an abandoned industrial estate.

Link here [ame="http://youtu.be/-fs9TxNiLBI"]http://youtu.be/-fs9TxNiLBI[/ame]

3. As per Cooperman's request, I have indeed removed the AC sticker off the rear window!

4. I replaced the headunit with a JVC I believe. Has bluetooth and everything. Miles better!

5. WHY DOES EVERYONE WHO GETS IN IT ASK WHERE THE WINDOW SWITCH IS? EVEN WHEN THEY STARE RIGHT AT IT! GOD!

6. THERE IS NO MIDDLE SEAT!!! STOP ASKING IF YOU CAN BRING ONE EXTRA PERSON. NO MIDDLE SEATBELT = NO EXTRA PERSON JEEZ

Back