Technical 10" rims installation...how to?

Currently reading:
Technical 10" rims installation...how to?

gordinir8

Established member
I was wondering what is the process of installing 10inch rims on the 500, do you have to replace axle hubs and drums? And is there any difference in driving handling except the appearance?
FB_IMG_1670828040913.jpg

Sorry I can't help you, but it did remind me of a joke regarding the original classic minis which came as standard on 10 inch wheels. We used to tell the owners about a mod to fit 12 inch wheels, many would then ask the reason of raising the height? to which we replied"it's to stop Great Dane dogs peeing in your windows";)

Sorry I can't help you, but it did remind me of a joke regarding the original classic minis which came as standard on 10 inch wheels. We used to tell the owners about a mod to fit 12 inch wheels, many would then ask the reason of raising the height? to which we replied"it's to stop Great Dane dogs peeing in your windows";)
Joking apart, whilst keeping the same ride height and rolling circumference of the wheels ensuring the speedo is accurate, larger diameter wheels allow the fitting of low profile tyres which can improve steering response and general handling, with the down side of stiffer ride.
Whereas a smaller wheel, where able to physically fit safely, will allow the fitting of higher profile tyres which with the greater flex of the side walls can give a more comfortable ride.
The other consideration is the need to inform your insurance company of any modifications including wheels and tyres as whilst they will be happy to take your money, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident they will be just as happy to throw out your claim!:(

There are some great performance tyre options in 10", due to the demand from Mini owners, which can be an advantage of switching to this wheel size.

Smaller wheels can also be lighter than bigger wheels, which pays off with better driving dynamics. As mentioned above this is offset by the potential requirement for larger tyre sidewalls which can reduce the 'direct' feeling of steering.

Most of the racing 500s you see are running 10" wheel, but they also run low profile slick tyre. So they get the best of both worlds with a light wheel, the directness of low profile tyres and the added benefit of the reduced wheel diameter getting the car lower without having to lower the rear suspension so far as to upset the geometry.

I'm not sure there would be many low profile 10" street tyre options and, as mentioned above, it would shorter the gearing and mess up the speedo calibration anyway, so not particularly practical on the street.

I've only my own only research to guide me, no hands on experience, but I believe there is no issue with fitting 10" wheels with the standard drums, though finding 10" wheels in 4x190PCD is trickier. If you have a disc conversion then some will work with 10" wheels, and some wont, so you'd need to look into that. 4x98PCD wheels are a little more available, but obviously you'd need the 126 hub/brake bits to convert to that bolt pattern.

From an aesthetic point of view, I think the 10" wheel with chunky tyre look is great. I'd love to fit some to my 500, but I've bigger problems right now(!) so thats one for the future! haha.

Also a bit of inspiration from a quick google image search!

Attachments

• 2f4eedfbee69494d0f1de860032531cc.jpg
    2f4eedfbee69494d0f1de860032531cc.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 86b9a2e155fa85a4147571581538fbaa.jpg
    86b9a2e155fa85a4147571581538fbaa.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 95
Joking apart, whilst keeping the same ride height and rolling circumference of the wheels ensuring the speedo is accurate, larger diameter wheels allow the fitting of low profile tyres which can improve steering response and general handling, with the down side of stiffer ride.
Whereas a smaller wheel, where able to physically fit safely, will allow the fitting of higher profile tyres which with the greater flex of the side walls can give a more comfortable ride.
The other consideration is the need to inform your insurance company of any modifications including wheels and tyres as whilst they will be happy to take your money, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident they will be just as happy to throw out your claim!:(
I prefer too the look of the 10 inch wheels with high profile tyres, riding will be even comfortable. As for the insurance company there is no such thing here in Greece to inform them about wheel replacement so no worries.

There are some great performance tyre options in 10", due to the demand from Mini owners, which can be an advantage of switching to this wheel size.

Smaller wheels can also be lighter than bigger wheels, which pays off with better driving dynamics. As mentioned above this is offset by the potential requirement for larger tyre sidewalls which can reduce the 'direct' feeling of steering.

Most of the racing 500s you see are running 10" wheel, but they also run low profile slick tyre. So they get the best of both worlds with a light wheel, the directness of low profile tyres and the added benefit of the reduced wheel diameter getting the car lower without having to lower the rear suspension so far as to upset the geometry.

I'm not sure there would be many low profile 10" street tyre options and, as mentioned above, it would shorter the gearing and mess up the speedo calibration anyway, so not particularly practical on the street.

I've only my own only research to guide me, no hands on experience, but I believe there is no issue with fitting 10" wheels with the standard drums, though finding 10" wheels in 4x190PCD is trickier. If you have a disc conversion then some will work with 10" wheels, and some wont, so you'd need to look into that. 4x98PCD wheels are a little more available, but obviously you'd need the 126 hub/brake bits to convert to that bolt pattern.

From an aesthetic point of view, I think the 10" wheel with chunky tyre look is great. I'd love to fit some to my 500, but I've bigger problems right now(!) so thats one for the future! haha.

Also a bit of inspiration from a quick google image search!
Problem is that I have already put new CMR rims, new brake drums and new axle hubs at the rear so removing again those parts and replacing with new plus the new rims/tyres it's kind of crazy idea but I have it at the back of my mind for some time now

If I were you Thomas I would try and ask the question on the Italian 500 owners club site, there are many more cars running 10" wheels in Italy.
Someone should be able to at least direct you to the process needed to convert your car.
Ian.

Back