Technical 1.9JTD noisy after cam belt change by garage

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9JTD noisy after cam belt change by garage

Firepipey

I've just had the 140K cam belt changed by my local garage on my 1.9JTD Multipla and it now sounds a lot noisier from the top end. I can only assume it's the tappets. I have two questions that I'd really value an opinion on.

Question 1: Is it normal for the tappets to get noisy after a cam belt change? The garage says that it's pretty usual and I'm being paranoid but I don't feel comfortable with the noise the engine now makes.

Question 2: If it isn't normal, what could they have done wrong and how can I check it? Engine runs OK but just sounds like a tractor.

No, it's not normal. The easy explanation would be that they've fitted the new belt one tooth out. However, if you only got the belt replaced and not the complete kit, the disturbance could have encouraged the tensioner to start to fail.

I'd tend to go with the belt not correctly fitted though...

It was the full monty with water pump to boot.

Is there any way of checking or do I have to go and raise it with the ever so helpful mechanic that's fobbed me off twice?

Cheers

No easy way of checking.

However, if it didn't make an unusual noise when it went in for the job, but did so on leaving the garage, then the 'helpful' mechanic is the man to chin. No money in it for him if he has to put it right, other than a loss of custom...

Best of luck!

Back