General 1.6 MultiJet Sporting ?!

Currently reading:
General 1.6 MultiJet Sporting ?!

Hi all , just browsing through the classifieds online and seen a 1.6 MultiJet Sporting GP ?! I didn't even know they did one 120BHP & 236lbs/ft according too the stats ... Any info on this engine/car would be appreciated looks decent from the headlines :) cheers :) !!!

Hi all , just browsing through the classifieds online and seen a 1.6 MultiJet Sporting GP ?! I didn't even know they did one 120BHP & 236lbs/ft according too the stats ... Any info on this engine/car would be appreciated looks decent from the headlines :) cheers :) !!!
Not many on this forum but they exist. Same engine more common in the Alfa mito. Whilst flat out they are slightly slower than the 130bhp 1.9, the lighter engine probably gives better turn in and the gearboxes appear not to fall apart.

Right of course I didn't think about the mito engine and yeah there's only 1 for sale in the UK so they must have been rare !!! but might be worth considering cheer people ?

Terrific car I`ve owned one for four years.Its fun to drive really torquey engine and excellent mpg never had less than 52 and I do mainly short trips.I was concerned about the DPF filter but this has proved to be unfounded.If you've a chance to get one I wouldn't hesitate.

Terrific car I`ve owned one for four years.Its fun to drive really torquey engine and excellent mpg never had less than 52 and I do mainly short trips.I was concerned about the DPF filter but this has proved to be unfounded.If you've a chance to get one I wouldn't hesitate.

I think the DPF is close coupled to the cat on that engine which means they give much less trouble.

I have a slightly different experience to you. 30 minute commute each way but on mainly unclassified narrow windy country roads. Only manage 45 mpg and that's according to the trip computer so how accurate that is I don't know. And I have had dpf problems which again is probably down to the type of roads I use. To be honest I probably shouldn't have a diesel but 4 years ago I needed a car quickly, the 1.6 was sat in the showroom and was the most fun to drive out of everything else I tested that weekend

The engine does like motorway miles though as any time I head south I can get well over 55-60 mpg

However I'll happily sacrifice the economy for a commute that leaves me smiling most mornings :D

I have a slightly different experience to you. 30 minute commute each way but on mainly unclassified narrow windy country roads. Only manage 45 mpg and that's according to the trip computer so how accurate that is I don't know. And I have had dpf problems which again is probably down to the type of roads I use. To be honest I probably shouldn't have a diesel but 4 years ago I needed a car quickly, the 1.6 was sat in the showroom and was the most fun to drive out of everything else I tested that weekend

The engine does like motorway miles though as any time I head south I can get well over 55-60 mpg

However I'll happily sacrifice the economy for a commute that leaves me smiling most mornings :D

Sorry to hear you've had dpf problems.I must admit I was warned by Picadilly Motors Wakefield that my type of use may cause problems but I decided to take the chance anyway.I do believe the carbon burnoff cycle is mostly automatic but occasionally the generic warning triangle illuminates but everthing is soon sorted by taking the car for a quick trip.

45mpg average with 55 on the motorway sounds amazing to me.

It sounds decent but with the price of diesel being 8-10p more per litre than petrol it's not really worth it for me. If most of my journeys were on the motorway then fine but they aren't. I shouldn't complain though as it was my choice and I bought the car solely on the basis that it was fun and available.

Sorry to hear you've had dpf problems.I must admit I was warned by Picadilly Motors Wakefield that my type of use may cause problems but I decided to take the chance anyway.I do believe the carbon burnoff cycle is mostly automatic but occasionally the generic warning triangle illuminates but everthing is soon sorted by taking the car for a quick trip.

Yeah, I had that quite a few times and then last month the oil change light started flashing despite having been serviced 2 months earlier. I took it to the garage (local, much trusted independent) who tested first to make sure it wasn't simply an oversight on their part. Light wouldn't go off so the car was pulled in for oil change, filter change and whatever else magic they do (I'm not particularly mechanically minded it should be said). I should add for completeness that there have been other problems with the car and I'm fairly certain it was made on a friday afternoon.

Prior to the dpf problem we discovered I had a malfunctioning water pump which had previously led to other problems manifesting initially with a loss of coolant that was first of all traced to a leaking radiator. That was repalced but didn't solve the problem and eventually I ended up with a fluctuating temperature gauge. The problem was traced to a knackered water pump and a new one was fitted along with the inevitable belt change.

How much of that has contributed to other problems with the car I have no idea. As said I think I was simply unlucky and hopefully now it is all fixed I should have an easier time of it from now on.

Overall I like the car and even love it on a good day. I just hope it spends less of 2014 in the garage :cool:

Yeah, I had that quite a few times and then last month the oil change light started flashing despite having been serviced 2 months earlier. I took it to the garage (local, much trusted independent) who tested first to make sure it wasn't simply an oversight on their part. Light wouldn't go off so the car was pulled in for oil change, filter change and whatever else magic they do (I'm not particularly mechanically minded it should be said). I should add for completeness that there have been other problems with the car and I'm fairly certain it was made on a friday afternoon.

:cool:

I far as I understand it the dpf burnoff uses fuel to raise the temperature and consequently this assists in the removal of carbon from the filter.As time goes by the engine oil can become contaminated so it is important to make sure the service milage is reset to 18000 when the oil is changed otherwise the electronics will think an oil change is due and the warning light will flash regardless.Sorry to read about your other problems hopefully all will now be ok.

Back