Technical 1.4vvt Cam Belt fun

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4vvt Cam Belt fun

Siny72

Hi guys, new to the forum so please guide if I'm in the wrong place. Last weekend whilst servicing the missus punto I found the classic leak from the rocker cover gasket. So stripped it, took out the old one and before refitting thought, Let's check the timing belt. (We've had the car for a year with no history so needed to be checked before now but time and life kept getting in the way). So timing belt, upon removing the cover I found the belt had a groove in the back about the width of a pound coin so panic stations, what turned out to be a simple oil, filters and plugs is now a proper job. Did my homework, (competent but lacking the knowledge) bought the locking tools and set to work. All came off without a hitch (tensioner had been installed back to front, 🤡🤠 hence the groove in the belt) although it seemed as though it had jumped a tooth (cam and crank locking tools didn't align with cam locked the crank was about 5-10° past the locking point). Prior to this the car always seemed to have a regular misfire at idle. So when reinstalling I realigned cam and crank with the locking tools, reinstalled the belt turned it over by hand a few times, checked again with the locking tools and everything was great. I put it all back together with new rocker cover gasket and sealant, fired it up and hey presto running car again but it feels lumpy and hesitant. Have I done something wrong? Do I need to get back at it and reset the timing to what seems like a tooth out or am I missing something else?
I have read about a "phonic wheel learn" could this cure my problem?
TIA

They've messed up the forum heavily recently. Hard to find stuff.
There is a discussion within the guide, but you must switch between "Guide", "Gallery", "Discussion" tabs.
Study this: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/1-2-8v-evo-2-engine-cam-belt-replacement.237966/page-3
That's really all. It is a simple, primitive engine. You set the timing using 2 tools and that's it (you don't mess with VVT normally).
And the "phonic wheel learn/reset" (whatever it's called) is overrated function. It will NOT "fix" the car if timing was set wrong.

If you do cam belt, check other things too. Like a sparkplugs. And valve clearances (obligatory in 8V engines)!
https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/valve-clearance-check-and-adjustment-1-4-8v.824/
If the timing was wrong, the ECU settings/parameters are now spoiled (making car run rough).
Reset them first (I don't remember the name of the FES/MES option, "self-adaptation" maybe).
Also neglected valve clearances will make car run rough for first week or more after adjustment.
======================== Thread Closed ===========================

Last edited:
They've messed up the forum heavily recently. Hard to find stuff.
There is a discussion within the guide, but you must switch between "Guide", "Gallery", "Discussion" tabs.
Study this: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/1-2-8v-evo-2-engine-cam-belt-replacement.237966/page-3
That's really all. It is a simple, primitive engine. You set the timing using 2 tools and that's it (you don't mess with VVT normally).
And the "phonic wheel learn/reset" (whatever it's called) is overrated function. It will NOT "fix" the car if timing was set wrong.

If you do cam belt, check other things too. Like a sparkplugs. And valve clearances (obligatory in 8V engines)!
https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/valve-clearance-check-and-adjustment-1-4-8v.824/
If the timing was wrong, the ECU settings/parameters are now spoiled (making car run rough).
Reset them first (I don't remember the name of the FES/MES option, "self-adaptation" maybe).
Also neglected valve clearances will make car run rough for first week or more after adjustment.
======================== Thread Closed ===========================
Thanks for your help. I'll have a play tomorrow and see what I can find. If it's ECU parameter reset (seems highly likely considering the state of the belt) then will have to wait until Monday at least.

Back