General 1.3 Sport tyre wear?

Currently reading:
General 1.3 Sport tyre wear?

Hi All,

We are currently considering/searching for a used 500x Sport 1.3 and although we haven't found the actual car as yet, I am trying to get some idea of running costs - and one area that I would be grateful to hear the experiences of owners of that specific model is on tyre wear of those with 19inch alloys.

I know tyre wear can be variable and down to driving styles and road conditions, but from just browsing at on-line sites over the last few weeks I've seen a few such cars with around 18k-23k miles covered, which look like they have different brand tyres on the front to the rear - so just wondering if sub 18k is sort of average for a change?

Also, were Dunlops the standard fit on the 19s?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this. (y)

Hi All,

We are currently considering/searching for a used 500x Sport 1.3 and although we haven't found the actual car as yet, I am trying to get some idea of running costs - and one area that I would be grateful to hear the experiences of owners of that specific model is on tyre wear of those with 19inch alloys.

I know tyre wear can be variable and down to driving styles and road conditions, but from just browsing at on-line sites over the last few weeks I've seen a few such cars with around 18k-23k miles covered, which look like they have different brand tyres on the front to the rear - so just wondering if sub 18k is sort of average for a change?

Also, were Dunlops the standard fit on the 19s?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this. (y)
I have noticed 500X needing front tyres at less miles than this. Many nealry new cars seem to have had tyres replaced at not a ;lot more than12K. 19K is probably reasonable. I had a Bravo which did over 60K on the front tyres and over 80K on the rears chassis not wildly different. High miles is good but by the time this mileage is reached on lower use cars the tyres would be better repalced due to ageing as often as not. A neighbour recently bought a 500X and it required two tyres at time of purchase his new car had done 19000 miles. I have seen s few 500x on Dunlop so it may have been OE on a few cars.

I have noticed 500X needing front tyres at less miles than this. Many nealry new cars seem to have had tyres replaced at not a ;lot more than12K. 19K is probably reasonable. I had a Bravo which did over 60K on the front tyres and over 80K on the rears chassis not wildly different. High miles is good but by the time this mileage is reached on lower use cars the tyres would be better repalced due to ageing as often as not. A neighbour recently bought a 500X and it required two tyres at time of purchase his new car had done 19000 miles. I have seen s few 500x on Dunlop so it may have been OE on a few cars.
Many thanks for speedy reply PN (y)

It would be good to hear also from owners of the 1.3 sport which I understand has a different suspension set-up to the rest of the range - and also, if owners of that specific model have changed tyres, did you stick with the Dunlops or fit an alternative brand?

My 500X Cross Plus - 1.3 Turbo - MultiAir. Mileages and tyres.

Between August 2015 and Deceber 2021 the car also towed 1000kg caravan for 8,300 Miles.

FrontMakeTypeSizeTread PatternFit DateFront / RearFit MileageReplace MileageLife Mileage
MichelinPilot Sport 3225/45 R18 91V
05 August 2015​
Front
0​
14315​
14315​
NexenNFERA225/45 ZR18 95Y
10 May 2018​
Front
14315​
28827​
14512​
FalkanFK510225/45 ZR18 95Y XL
02 December 2021​
Front
28827​
RearMakeTypeSizeTread PatternFit DateFront / RearFit MileageReplace MileageLife Mileage
05 August 2015​
Rear
0​
30177​
30177​
FalkenFK510A225/45 R18 95W XL
13 July 2023​
Rear
30177​

My 500X Cross Plus - 1.3 Turbo - MultiAir. Mileages and tyres.

Between August 2015 and Deceber 2021 the car also towed 1000kg caravan for 8,300 Miles.

FrontMakeTypeSizeTread PatternFit DateFront / RearFit MileageReplace MileageLife Mileage
05 August 2015​
Front
0​
14315​
14315​
NexenNFERA225/45 ZR18 95Y
10 May 2018​
Front
14315​
28827​
14512​
FalkanFK510225/45 ZR18 95Y XL
02 December 2021​
Front
28827​
RearMakeTypeSizeTread PatternFit DateFront / RearFit MileageReplace MileageLife Mileage
05 August 2015​
Rear
0​
30177​
30177​
FalkenFK510A225/45 R18 95W XL
13 July 2023​
Rear
30177​
Thanks s130 for such detail (y)

Thanks s130 for such detail (y)
Yes I'm possibly OCD in this respect. Not just for my vehicles but also house contents (what / when /how much / etc), and so much other stuff that a therapist would say "I need to get a life". Hey we are all different and I'm just pleased any or all of my OCD stuff may/will help others.

My 1.3 Sport is on 19"s
I've had it two years and I've done 13K miles, its on its second pair of Dunlops at the front
They wore on the outside edge, both sides, it could be because I park across the house on a slope on full lock.
I stuck with the Donlops because I like to have the same brand, hoping to trade up to a Tonale in the next year or so, otherwise would have changed to Michelins

My 1.3 Sport is on 19"s
I've had it two years and I've done 13K miles, its on its second pair of Dunlops at the front
They wore on the outside edge, both sides, it could be because I park across the house on a slope on full lock.
I stuck with the Donlops because I like to have the same brand, hoping to trade up to a Tonale in the next year or so, otherwise would have changed to Michelins
So only 13K or less.

If the tyres were worn on both outside edges then this looks like a tracking problem. For more responsive steering Fiat may have gone over aggressive on the Toe In value. Even if you had your tracking checked they would have used the Fiat recommended values.

Fiat won't change or investigate till a number of cusotmers complain about poor tyre wear.

The Fiat Croma 2005 had rear tyre wear problems that took Fiat several goes to sort out and even then things were not ideal. In the end I "winged it" with the lead Micheledever tracking expert and we set our own rear geometry values.

The tracking is OK, its not feathering and its both sides.

It does skip when reversing slowly when its cold, so I think its to do with the Ackerman Angle and they may have gone too aggressive with the set up.

I said to the dealer that I expected the tyres to last longer (They're not cheap either!) and they said that it was normal....

It does skip when reversing slowly when its cold, so I think its to do with the Ackerman Angle and they may have gone too aggressive with the set up.

I said to the dealer that I expected the tyres to last longer (They're not cheap either!) and they said that it was normal....
Not sure I understand

You said "They wore on the outside edge, both sides,"

Normally tyre wear should be pretty much equal across the full tyre width.

Now you say "The tracking is OK, its not feathering and its both sides."

Feathering is a different tyre phenomenon. Tread blocks can feather, generally on the outer or inner edges but as such does not always result in excess tyre wear.

Of course you could bypass Fiat and ask Dunlop directly what they consider to be normal tyre wear/life on your car. I would be surprised if they said 13K miles.

Dealers go by what Fiat say. Fiat have financial / warranty claim targets so untill pressed they will be less willing to compensate / address a 13K mile issue comapred to a 5K mile issue.

Now it may be that 13K miles is the best you can ever get from your car on 19" rims but to me this just sounds and feels just not right.

My 1.3 Sport is on 19"s
Many thanks Richard - apologies I could not get to acknowledge sooner.

It does sound like the Dunlops wear quickly on the Sport - never liked them when fitted to my XF on which the SportsMaxx were renowned for premature wear and cracking (mine did the latter) - although I am lead to believe the current version SportsMaxx's fare better on the Jag.

Having a quick look on Camskill. it looks like there are some decent alternatives for reasonable sub-Dunlop money for the 19s (Falkens, Uniroyal, Vredesteins, Uniroyals - all of which I have good experience of performance, wear and longevity on other cars) but will factor that into our first year budget.

Thanks again (y)

I got 50,000kms on my 1.0 Sport with the 19" wheels. I'm a fairly hard driver with a lot of motorway and backroad miles. They were right down to nearly 2mm though so I probably went a bit too far on them.
I have to say, other than the great tyre wear the Dunlop sport max tyres that came with the car must have been the worst tyres I've ever had on any car ever in 30 years.
I recently switched them for Pirelli P Zero PZ4 runflats, which were cheaper than the Dunlops, and the ride, handling and comfort is vastly improved. I don't think Pirelli have good tyre wear so I expect to have to change at least two tyres, if not all 4, by this time next year but I think it's worth it.

I think that skipping is only on the Dunlop tyres. I've Pirelli's on mine for a month and there is no skipping on mine anymore so far.

I got 50,000kms on my 1.0 Sport with the 19" wheels. I'm a fairly hard driver with a lot of motorway and backroad miles. They were right down to nearly 2mm though so I probably went a bit too far on them.
I have to say, other than the great tyre wear the Dunlop sport max tyres that came with the car must have been the worst tyres I've ever had on any car ever in 30 years.

I presume you rotated the tyres until the whole set was worn out? My fronts are going to be worn out by c.20,000 miles and it sounds like we have similar driving experiences.

My rear tyres look great and could probably make it to 30,000 miles. I'll put the rear wheels on the front when I replace the two front tyres (new tyres will go on the back) since I can't afford to buy 4 tyres in one go.

I find the Dunlops okay. The rim protectors saved my rims from one kerb 🫣 and a pot-hole incident.. and grip seems fairly good.. not up there with my "best ever" but not the worst either. I might be tempted to try the Pirelli.. if they're really that much better?

Ralf S.

I presume you rotated the tyres until the whole set was worn out? My fronts are going to be worn out by c.20,000 miles and it sounds like we have similar driving experiences.

My rear tyres look great and could probably make it to 30,000 miles. I'll put the rear wheels on the front when I replace the two front tyres (new tyres will go on the back) since I can't afford to buy 4 tyres in one go.

I find the Dunlops okay. The rim protectors saved my rims from one kerb 🫣 and a pot-hole incident.. and grip seems fairly good.. not up there with my "best ever" but not the worst either. I might be tempted to try the Pirelli.. if they're really that much better?

Ralf S.
Tyres were indeed rotated every service. It might make them last a bit longer but I hate having to replace four tyres instead of just two earlier. Garage just keeps doing it even when I tell them not to.
I've done 2500kms+ on the Pirelli's so far and they're performing well still. It will be interesting to see once they've worn down a bit in a few months, if they start getting noisy and the ride deteriorates with it.

Can't help directly with 19s as my 500x is fitted with 18s. Similar to above tyres have been rotated as mine is AWD. Just had to replaced original tyres at 27k miles.

I fitted MICHELIN 225 50 R18 95V PRIMACY 3s (bought from Just Tyres with a Michelin cashback). The taller sidewall has so much improved the ride with an added benefit of correcting the Speedo (it's spot on all the way to 70mph+)

Back