Technical 1.2 rear brake caliper

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 rear brake caliper

Ffoxy

Telford's Own...
Can I wind in the rear brake pistons using some long nosed pliers to replace the rear pads & save buying a wind in tool? If I have to buy a tool is it the same tool to be used on the Grande?

Thanx Stilo-massive...

Cant confirm a yes or no to that one me old mate but do you think fiat would make it that easy for you.;) :p

Mind you if you lived a little nearer you could borrow my complete and relatively new wind back kit..:p

Another point to make here is does the grande have the rear pistons winding back in opposite directions like what the stilo does..<<< chav speak..:devil:

Final point here is ..use the blooming search button as Argo so eloquently puts it..lol

Last edited:
Cant confirm a yes or no to that one me old mate but do you think fiat would make it that easy for you.;) :p

Mind you if you lived a little nearer you cold borrow my complete and reletivly new wind back kit..:p

Another point to make here is does the grande have the rear pistons winding back in opposite directions like what the stilo does..<<< chav speak..:devil:

;) Cheers PNL, very kind offer (y)
I stripped, cleaned and lubed all 4 of Mrs Ffoxy's brakes a week ago, usually squeeling & all is good now but I noted the rears pads will need changing in 6 months or so, it was with some trepidation I did the rears in case I couldnt get the bug*ers back in but all went smoothly, and Fiat have 2 nice big holes in the pistons just begging for a stout set of long-nose pliers but I didnt try it at the time, was a hurry job in 24deg temps lol! Changed the front pads easy peasy quite a bit back.

Yet to delve into the Grande's brakes still less than half worn in 48,500 miles... I must drive proper innit! :p

And Yes ur right... a Search revealed... https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/85765-rear-brake-caliper-wind-back-tool-2.html and some interesting debate lol! Looks increasingly less likely a pair of lnog-nosed pliers would work.

Last edited:
You got two holes..:eek: did you know a spanner from an angle grinder fits quite nicely..:chin:..gently leads foxy in the right direction..:worship: :devil:

You got two holes..:eek: did you know a spanner from an angle grinder fits quite nicely..:chin:..gently leads foxy in the right direction..:worship: :devil:

Got no angle grinder but point (and hint) taken :eek:

Yep you can, but i used pipe grips and a nice steady downwards pressure leaning on the trolley jack handle placed on the piston.

So yep easy job.

but i used pipe grips

So yep easy job.

So did I on my first attempt..got the kit now cos I am getting old ..:(

Did my son-in-laws rears on his mitsi a while back with the kit and by god them pistons blooming flew in..:eek:

Back