Technical 1.2 2009 exhaust rubbers

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 2009 exhaust rubbers

Danoid

I’m having massive issues finding the correct exhaust rubber hangers for my car, this should be simple!!

If I look at Klarius exhaust system it shows two rear silencer exhaust rubbers but they’re the same part number, despite the hangers being completely different in real life.

If I look at the Bosal system it shows two different hangers which is correct, but can only get from Ebay which is weird.

When looking at GSF, ECP it only shows 1 exhaust hanger and it’s the rear right and not the rear left as well.

What on earth is going on?

I’m hoping I can just give GSF the bosal part numbers and they can order them in.

Where has everyone else bought the correct exhaust hangers from?

Thanks, had a horrible day trying to remove the original exhaust which has proven impossible for me at home, got the original clamp loose and can move the rear exhaust like 1-2cm left or right but it will not come out due to the silly design of the rear silencer going into the centre pipe, would be easy if it was straight but nooo

This sometimes happens with aftermarket parts; they're not always the correct fitment and the catalogues are sometimes wrong.

OEM parts generally don't have this problem, but you'll pay considerably more.

Thanks, had a horrible day trying to remove the original exhaust which has proven impossible for me at home, got the original clamp loose and can move the rear exhaust like 1-2cm left or right but it will not come out due to the silly design of the rear silencer going into the centre pipe, would be easy if it was straight but nooo

Once an exhaust has been on the car for more than a few months, it's generally so badly corroded that removing a section of it is likely to become a swearing session. If you're replacing the complete exhaust, just cut it. A metal cutting disc in an angle grinder will have the whole thing off in seconds; exhaust replacement shops will generally burn through the old one where necessary off with a torch. Even a junior hacksaw will generally have them off in a few minutes if you find a nice rusty bit to cut through.

On some cars, the original factory fit exhaust is made in a single section and fitted part way through the assembly process; the only way to remove these is to cut them.

Always replace the rubber hangers when replacing the exhaust or you risk your nice shiny new system falling off in service.

Last edited:
I’m having massive issues finding the correct exhaust rubber hangers for my car, this should be simple!!

If I look at Klarius exhaust system it shows two rear silencer exhaust rubbers but they’re the same part number, despite the hangers being completely different in real life.

If I look at the Bosal system it shows two different hangers which is correct, but can only get from Ebay which is weird.

When looking at GSF, ECP it only shows 1 exhaust hanger and it’s the rear right and not the rear left as well.

I’m hoping I can just give GSF the bosal part numbers and they can order them in.

Where has everyone else bought the correct exhaust hangers from?

I swapped out my complete exhaust system for a stainless steel one …. I had a right job removing the hangers!!! I eventually cut them off! The exhaust system had already had work done before I owned the car yet all the hangers were original 2011 ones and almost rotted through!!

I too had issues finding the correct hanger rubbers but eventually for the correct ones on eBay these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294140710061 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254093263295
Have you fitted the new exhaust yet?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I swapped out my complete exhaust system for a stainless steel one …. I had a right job removing the hangers!!! I eventually cut them off! The exhaust system had already had work done before I owned the car yet all the hangers were original 2011 ones and almost rotted through!!

I too had issues finding the correct hanger rubbers but eventually for the correct ones on eBay these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294140710061 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254093263295
Have you fitted the new exhaust yet?
I dig deeper and found those parts you listed and picking up from Motor Trade Parts tomorrow as GSF said they sell as a kit but company wide shortage.

I rang Fiat and they said both rear hangers are the same part even though I know it isn’t, they said it’s two of the last link you gave me which simply isn’t even. I did find eper the diagram does say it’s two of the last links but there’s also the first link (what I need) floating in the diagram, but I was thinking surely they’d know.

Not got the exhaust yet, I was thinking of a stainless steel one but found the USB C shape exhaust which I want on EEC for £40 with a 2 year warranty which will do me nicely as the car only does around 2k a year anyway

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I dig deeper and found those parts you listed and picking up from Motor Trade Parts tomorrow as GSF said they sell as a kit but company wide shortage.

I rang Fiat and they said both rear hangers are the same part even though I know it isn’t, they said it’s two of the last link you gave me which simply isn’t even. I did find eper the diagram does say it’s two of the last links but there’s also the first link (what I need) floating in the diagram, but I was thinking surely they’d know.

Not got the exhaust yet, I was thinking of a stainless steel one but found the USB C shape exhaust which I want on EEC for £40 with a 2 year warranty which will do me nicely as the car only does around 2k a year anyway
it’s astounding that they would give you such misleading info! It’s a good job you knew already!
I found the hangers a bugger to get off ended up cutting them off! Getting the new ones on wasn’t exactly a joy either! But silicone grease or whatever it was (rubber safe stuff) made getting them on a bit easier

So off I go to Motor Parts Direct, to pick my two rubber hangers up, one was correct but the other with the 3 holes was a 2 hole hanger and completely different again, argh.

The lady said I could try SES Exhausts, so off I trot and said “Are you up for a challenge? They said can man to the moon but finding the exhaust hangers for a Fiat 500 is simply impossible” he had a look on his system and it showed two of the same hangers again which is wrong, he said let me go get the part and we’ll have a look and BINGO it was the correct 3 hole hanger.

So now I have both correct exhaust hangers. Should be picking up the new exhaust from EEC (eurocats) tomorrow or Friday, what the chances the hangers on the exhaust are in a different place? If they’re different i’ll probably set fire to the car and be done with it haha

So off I go to Motor Parts Direct, to pick my two rubber hangers up, one was correct but the other with the 3 holes was a 2 hole hanger and completely different again, argh.

The lady said I could try SES Exhausts, so off I trot and said “Are you up for a challenge? They said can man to the moon but finding the exhaust hangers for a Fiat 500 is simply impossible” he had a look on his system and it showed two of the same hangers again which is wrong, he said let me go get the part and we’ll have a look and BINGO it was the correct 3 hole hanger.

So now I have both correct exhaust hangers. Should be picking up the new exhaust from EEC (eurocats) tomorrow or Friday, what the chances the hangers on the exhaust are in a different place? If they’re different i’ll probably set fire to the car and be done with it haha
What a drama!!! Indeed the 3 hole hanger is a must I tried the 2 hole on both sides all was well till pot holes ect… then it was “clank”

I’ve not looked under a newer 500 I wonder if they have changed the hangers?
You may have to bend the hanger on the right side of the box I had to move mine over to the right and up also if not it won’t sit right

I've always bought BOSAL hangers and they're usually spot on.. but quite often I see the usual suspect types of hanger in Halfords and places like that.

Fitting hangers is always a bit of a mission. It helps if you can separate the exhaust "somewhere" (which is almost impossible once it's rusted together with itself) so as to allow better movement.

Use lots of slippy. If you have no special rubber safe grease.. then use Fairy Liquid, since it can be rinsed off afterwards and it's no more "salty" than road salt. Don't be tempted to use cheaper brands as you get less bubbles. :D

If you have a floppy rubber, you can get it a corset. Wrap a cable tie all around it, after you have fitted the exhaust so that it becomes "stiffer" overall.

Ralf S.

If I can get them, I buy poly rubbers, they are easier to work with when lubed up, you can pull the hell out of them to get them to fit. I also have a pair of T handled hooks made for the job. Makes things easier when under the car wrestling with the exhaust system.

Just to mention if I’m changing any part or whole exhaust system, I grind off the lot in bits, using new clamps to refit, again far easier. Mind you, in saying all that, my days under a car are numbered :cry:

Back