Technical Fiat 500 1.2 2009 Jumps out of first gear some times

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 2009 Jumps out of first gear some times

1 year warranty £450 delivered 100% feedback

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I think it might be too much for a home fix.
It's doable at home, but I'd plan on two cold days work if doing it single handed on your back on a driveway. I've saved cars like this before, but I'm too old for this sort of thing now.

I have spent money on servicing in the past.
What matters now is not what you've spent in the past, but what you're likely to spend in the future.

Yes I do think it is worth keeping it on the road.
Obviously a lot depends on the condition of the rest of the car. I'd agree a gearbox replacement is certainly worth considering on a 15 yr old 500 in today's used car market, but only if you're going to do the work yourself. If you're using a garage to do this, then I'm not sure the numbers add up. Selling it as is (it may make more than you think) and putting the money towards something better might make more sense financially. It might also be a lot less hassle. There are a lot of ways that getting an unknown garage to fit a secondhand gearbox to a 15yr old car can go badly wrong.

One big risk is that you spend £1500 now and end up with another costly problem in a few months time. And although you might get a warranty on a secondhand/reconditioned 'box, that's not going to cover the labour cost if it fails shortly after fitting it.

Realistically, running a 15 yr old car only makes sense if you're going to do most/all of the servicing and repairs yourself.

I'd say £750 to replace with new clutch
That's optimistic. In London, I'd expect the final bill to be at least twice that.

1 year warranty £450 delivered 100% feedback
That's an exchange price, you'll pay a surcharge if your existing gearbox isn't returned. Do you seriously want the hassle of packing and arranging shipping on a heavy, oily part that's only just about liftable by one person.

And if you ask the garage that's fitting it to organise the return, then expect another £100 (+VAT) at least.

Last edited:
Might not be as bad as that - When I've used them in the past, they provided return shipping crate and courier. Not sure if they still do, but was easy enough then. Worth asking.
I have used them a few times (for bits that cross over with Pandas), and they impressed me (not usually easy), certainly more than most online breakers I have dealt with.
Not the absolute cheapest, but more helpful and trustworthy, so good value for bigger bits like engines and gearboxes where labour and hassle need to be factored in.

Not the absolute cheapest, but more helpful and trustworthy, so good value for bigger bits like engines and gearboxes where labour and hassle need to be factored in.
That's good advice, and an important consideration when significant third party labour charges are involved.

Thanks for all your help. If some one reads the thread. I would say the first thing is to drain the oil before driving it. That will give a good indication. It seems a common problem on these but If i had drained the gearbox oil. I could have diagnosed it earlier.
It was not too bad taking the box out. Only its very heavy and additional hands help.

Thanks again for all your help. I am shopping for a replacement gearbox.

Back