Technical P0011-61 (Phase variator position) and P0009-62 (VVT phase variation) errors. 2017 Fiat 500 1.2

Currently reading:
Technical P0011-61 (Phase variator position) and P0009-62 (VVT phase variation) errors. 2017 Fiat 500 1.2

Anyone have any direction / thoughts on these errors?

I’m particular interested in possible causes and, importantly, how to test the diagnosis. Have no interest in randomly part swapping. I’ve got a scope and am able to check components against known good / values.

I have the workshop manual for up to what I think is 2012. However I don’t have the 2017 model. I’m conscious of getting an accurate source of information before delving in.

Symptoms

EML light appears. Stop/start disabled. Occasional momentary drop in revs at stand/still while idling. Did see low oil pressure light come on for a second while at around 20mph.

If all codes are cleared car will run fine with no EML light for a few miles. Starts instantly, no odd sounds, power delivery fine even with EML light on.

History

Unknown. Bought from auction. Unclear how often oil has been changed etc. Timing belt and water pump changed (good parts - Gates belt etc).

Checked

Timing looks spot on. Had checked by another garage. Oil level fine. Did Phonic re-learn procedure etc. using MultiECU.

Summary

I don't know if this engine has VVT. I didn't think it did. MultiECU suggests it may. Hence wanting the workshop manual. If it does, then the symptoms add weight to potential poor oil servicing and an impacted VVT system. I'm keen to put the time in to gain an understanding of how all this works so if anyone has Fiat factory videos / info or just some pointers on Fiat 500 specifics relating to this that would be great.

1.png

2.png

Yes your engine has VVT. These codes can be thrown if the 4 O-rings sealing the oilways to the VVT system between the head and the cam cover aren't changed when the cam cover has been off. They always get squished up and should be changed every time. It may well be they weren't changed when the cambelt was done. (Using the proper timing tools requires the cam cover to be removed).

Back