Technical Rough Idle, wont stay started..

Currently reading:
Technical Rough Idle, wont stay started..

X19_45

Alrgiht, im new here, obviously.

I just purchased a 1979 X1/9 and it has some engine problems.

Just so you know, the battery is dead, so ive bee jumpstarting it until i can find out the problem.

But anyways. WHen i get the car started the idle goes really low until it stalls.

If i rev it up for 20 or 30 seconds then it actually stays started, but not smoothly

It drops down to a stalling point and then humps up to 2-3k RPM, n then back down. IT dos this repeatedly.

My first guess it the idle, but im scared that its a problem with the fuel system.

Any input?

Thanks!

RS Pilot said:
Are we talking European or US spec here (ie carburettor vs fuel injection)?

US Carb.

There are also a few places to put some tubes....but um i have no clue where they go.

For now, im going to go replaces the bad tubes that i know of and then get back to you.

Hopefuly ill give you a video or some pictures to go by.

thanks

OK, now it does stay started! yay!

Bad news......only at 1500RPM and above.

Im guessing its a vac leak, but i cant be sure.

also, my oil dip stick is poping out and shooting oil all ove the place!

nooo

And you know the oil return pipe toards the back on the right side? yea the pipe is missing, and i dont know where it goes. Do i really need it?

A nasty noise is coming out of that hole too, is that normal?

anyways thanks.

I did buy this as a project car soo yea, im not disapointed here. Got it for less than 1kUS

I think you're describing the crankcase breather when you say 'oil return pipe'. The crankcase breather is a round aluminium item about the diameter of a paper cup bottom, held on by one 13mm-head bolt, next to the distributor.

It sounds as though someone has removed the pipe (leaving the crankcase breather open) to try and cure the excess crankcase pressure that is forcing your dipstick out. This is rather bad news if that's the case. I was going to suggest that the breather was blocked, but you say that a funny noise comes out - so probably not blocked then :)

I say 'bad news' because it sounds like something has gone horribly wrong with pistons/rings to give that much pressure. That is probably accounting for your difficult idling (I don't think we should discuss/tinker with the fuel system until we are sure that the engine is basically OK?)

The good news is that these engines are not difficult to get parts for, and they are simple engines (compared with, say, a V6) so you will find it satisfying and successful to rebuild it. Or, of course, you could get hold of another engine and rebuild that. You can never have too many spare parts, and usually with engine rebuilding you have to make decisions based on condition - it will be easier if you have another one to look at.

Anyway - the first test (to confirm the need for a rebuild) I think should be a compression test, using a pressure-gauge that you push into a spark plug hole and hold while an assistant cranks the engine with the throttle open. It helps to remove the other spark plugs as well. Test each cylinder, and if you find one cylinder to be obviously bad, get ready to pull the engine out...

Thanks,
-Alex

as alex said above, dont mess w/ anything till you do a comp test, then...well first buy a manual for the car its worth its weight in gold, i have several different ones, if that gives you a clue......from the sound of it id bank on a rebuild, but hey it'll be fun, and since your going to have to dismantle it you might as well get some extra power, and there are several thgings that can help these little mills really go! a really easy one is when you do the rebuild, buy a head for a 1300, (i assume you have a 1500 5spd)and set of new gaskets, that will help. then go ahead and source a set of headers..(eBay,PBS, international) its worth the $2-300 for a new set, and will give better performance, and great sound. try also to source a K&N filter, as they help w/ breathing too, and also add a more noticable induction sound, very cool. hope this helps get ya started oh yeah check w/ Matt Brannon at Mid west X1/9 he has every thing you'll need + some

Back