General New Fiat guy

Currently reading:
General New Fiat guy

archoman

I just bought a Fiat/Bertone?(whats the difference) X1/9 and looking for info. Going to dig into it tonight to figure out whats wrong with the brakes/clutch (hydraulic issue), wondering if there is a common problem to look for? Also I want to hop up and customize the look. Will be selling lots of the factory parts if anyone has something they're looking for. Located in Edmonton,Alberta, Canada. Any tips on where to get parts or engine swap options would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!
You really jumped in the deep end of the pool!
The X1/9 was sold with the FIAT badge until 1982 (?) and from then onwards with the Bertone badge. Same car, same engine, same factory.
I would suggest you buy the Haynes handbook. Although its full of errors and hard to follow instructions, it does get it right sometimes.
Anyway, if you're having clutch problems, it's likely that the master cylinder's seals have perished and/or the slave cylinder corroded. The seals can be replaced, and are easy to find as they are the same as the Uno brake seals. The slave cylinder on mine was beyond repair as the body had corroded badly. The brakes are pretty much the same as the clutch.

Thanks ppalma, sounds like quite the job. Hydraulic isuues were the reason this car was parked 10 years ago. So everything you listed is probably right. This is an 81, is there many options for pulling more power out of these engines or is an engine swap the best way to go?

There are lots and lots of options on power (check out mirafiori.com and xweb for local-ish ideas and suppliers). The basic engine is a detuned race design in origin so it has quite a bit of scope for improvement but the sohc design places some practical upper limits unless you want to go forced induction.

Most people seem to get to about 130bhp and stop there as it gets complicated, expensive and counter-productive to go much further (unless you want a real race engine).

Back