500 Yorkshire noob

Currently reading:
500 Yorkshire noob

Nixy

Hi
I've had my 500 3 days and love it. I'm a total petrol head and this is my new 'daily driver' having sorn'd my beloved 350z for winter. There's a couple of niggles which I naturally came straight to the forum to ask about.
Firstly I was surprised this evening to get in the car after work and have to sit for ages demisting the INSIDE of the windscreen! Any other car I've had with aircon has done this within seconds. The heating seems to take a while to get the car warm too. There is condensation in both rear lights which as a perfectionist irritates me but as I'm leasing the car should I be bothered? And lastly - what is with the petrol cap? I felt a right idiot trying to get that off at the petrol station and now I can't get it back on!
Any advice appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're enjoying your new car in spite of the niggles!

I hear you about the condensation on the inner windscreen. Mine has recently developed the same problem and I haven't yet identified the cause. It takes a few minutes after starting the engine until the climate control system in my car starts to blow dry air to the windscreen (happens much more quickly in my other car) but I've learned to live with it. In my experience the condensation problem is made worse the next time if you wipe the inner windscreen - best to just leave it and wait for the air from the vents to clear the moisture.

The petrol cap takes a bit of getting used to! The correct procedure is insert key, turn to the left, then turn cap left to remove. Hang cap (with key still inserted) on little hook, fill up, then replace cap on filler neck, twist to right, then, while holding cap, turn the key to the right to lock. Key should then come out easily from a securely locked cap.

I'm sure they could have made it easier...

It's a brand new car so I hope the air on doesn't need gassing.
Thanks for the advice on the fuel cap which I didn't manage to get back on so that's a job for the morning!
Just read a horror story about mine (1.2S) not being able to get up hills!

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Just read a horror story about mine (1.2S) not being able to get up hills!

Read all about it here.

I hope your car isn't affected by this issue, but it would be helpful if you could try it out on a decent hill and report back, either way.

im very happy with it so far (now I've got the fuel cap on!). I read the article - I will probably just have to drive it harder! I'm only leasing and will be using to commute and when the weathers rubbish to save my other car. It's cool and quirky which is what I was after. The interior of the 1.2 s is lovely. I don't do boring! I will definitely try a hill start and report back!

The de-misting on the 500 isn't the best. My Parents one, which has the climate control, will only keep the screen clear if it's set purely to blow air on the screen when the weather's cold/damp. As soon as you divert air to the footwells (whilst also leaving it on the screen) it starts to mist up. Having driven other cars, I noticed the ventilation was quite a lot better than the Fiat's I've experience of (Punto's, Stilo, 500). However, the 500 is the least effective of the lot.

Not noticed any problems with rear lights misting up. Some Fiat's have had this problem, but I can't say I've seen it on the 500.

The fuel cap is a bit of a quirk - Fiat have used it for about 20 years - my 1996 Punto had it, as did my 2000 Punto, 2004 Stilo, my Parents 500 and my Alfa MiTo. However, recent model launches including the new Panda & 500L have moved over to a new cap-less design, where you just open the fuel flap and the rubber cap comes away with it, ready for you to put the fuel nozzle in. Fingers crossed any new 500 will get this easier to use design, though after a few months you'll have it mastered!

I've got a 500S as my daily driver instead of my G Wagen, done about 4500 miles in 2 months or so and still loving it. As you say it's cool and quirky.
Mine is a 1.2 and no issues with hill starts. The throttle response is a little weird though.

Last edited:
Make sure you start with cold air air con on demist windscreen setting. I find in winter if I turn the car off when using the heater it is worse so I try to switch to cold for a few minutes before turning the car off. Seems to cool the vent down stopping condensation through the ducting... It's the only remedy I have for this.

Hate the condensation build up in lights which happens after driving in cold with lights on as it heats the lens cools and starts. I have now driven with the lights on in the morning to warm them up again seems to address it better than leaving it. But from my asking on the forum it's a standard Fiat "quirk"! :(

The heating seems to take a while to get the car warm too. And lastly - what is with the petrol cap?

If you start driving with cold air for a short distance on windscreen it should demist and allow the engine to hear up more rapidly... I have found if you want warm air fast the best way is to let the car warm a little first then switch to warm and it works a treat.

Petrol cap is good because the door to it never locks so to avoid tampering get used to using the Lock. It becomes easier with practice and it makes sense. Don't turn the key until you hear clicks when re fitting it, otherwise you are "locking" it before it's secured.

It's a quirky car with little niggles but you end up forgetting them after a while.

Back