General Yellow Exclamation Warning Triangle

Currently reading:
General Yellow Exclamation Warning Triangle

I've just fitted a 55amp/Hr battery to our 169. Its the same one recommended for the 319 Panda. I wouldnt wait to change your battery as ours just stopped working leaving us stranded. Fortunately twice at home and once at my local garage. The 319 got the new battery and the 169 got the old one from that. It failed two days later. W ehave 2 Yuasa premium batteries with 5 year warranty £78 with a GEM discount from Halfords. Not my favourite supplier but if things go wrong theu do seem to replace things without a fight. I needed a new battery immediately so next day was too slow so the internet was no use. Buy earllier and save a few quid. Amazing the car fires instantly now and rather oddly is clearly running smoother for the change.
Thanks very much for that. Knowing it's the same one as fitted to the 319 makes identifying it much easier. I'm actually no stranger to my local Halfords - one member of their staff is particularly helpful - and am fortunate enough to have a trade card for them, although I've found the big discounts are only on Halfords branded products - it's been my experience too that they honour warranty pretty well. I think my first move will be to pop in and see what price they can do one for me. I'm also going to check with Kenny and see what he'd do one of those Ford batteries for me. Your comment about it starting more easily after changing the battery I find very interesting as I've noticed that Becky sometimes cranks for a bit longer than normal on a cold start although it's not a "slow" crank by any means. however this, coupled with the return of the flashing clock, has convinced me I need to do something sooner rather than later about this. I can't say she's not been warning me as the clock started it's "flashing" last winter but stopped doing it in the warmer summer weather. I couldn't have asked for a much better warning that the battery was getting "tired" could I?

Tayna's prices are very good and I've read recommendations for them not only here but also on the Cupra forum - my other online "hang out". However I do feel a bit nervous about sourcing from them - or any online source - because I worry about how the battery may be handled by shippers. It's a long journey up to us here in Edinburgh and I suspect it could spend some of it upside down and being roughly handled. My lovely new compressor was palletised and crated but they still managed to bend the compressor pulley in transit! I've received other stuff over the years which has also obviously been roughly handled - spectacularly a 5 litre container of horticultural SAE 30, Boy that was messy! - Trouble with a battery is you can't see inside it so if some of the paste has been shaken from the plates you'd never know.

Thanks very much for that. Knowing it's the same one as fitted to the 319 makes identifying it much easier. I'm actually no stranger to my local Halfords - one member of their staff is particularly helpful - and am fortunate enough to have a trade card for them, although I've found the big discounts are only on Halfords branded products - it's been my experience too that they honour warranty pretty well. I think my first move will be to pop in and see what price they can do one for me. I'm also going to check with Kenny and see what he'd do one of those Ford batteries for me. Your comment about it starting more easily after changing the battery I find very interesting as I've noticed that Becky sometimes cranks for a bit longer than normal on a cold start although it's not a "slow" crank by any means. however this, coupled with the return of the flashing clock, has convinced me I need to do something sooner rather than later about this. I can't say she's not been warning me as the clock started it's "flashing" last winter but stopped doing it in the warmer summer weather. I couldn't have asked for a much better warning that the battery was getting "tired" could I?

Tayna's prices are very good and I've read recommendations for them not only here but also on the Cupra forum - my other online "hang out". However I do feel a bit nervous about sourcing from them - or any online source - because I worry about how the battery may be handled by shippers. It's a long journey up to us here in Edinburgh and I suspect it could spend some of it upside down and being roughly handled. My lovely new compressor was palletised and crated but they still managed to bend the compressor pulley in transit! I've received other stuff over the years which has also obviously been roughly handled - spectacularly a 5 litre container of horticultural SAE 30, Boy that was messy! - Trouble with a battery is you can't see inside it so if some of the paste has been shaken from the plates you'd never know.
They are normally packed very well with afew layers of polystyrene around then and placed inside a plastic liner bag so should be protected

Also it does have battery written on the box or at least mine did with big arrow saying to keep upright so should at least give it a fighting chance

Eh up all

Not had a chance to sort battery out - pi88ing down all weekend and I ain’t getting soaked !

Car back to normal - Mrs sadly still same 😂🤣😂🤣

I am going to look for a battery but also do a test on charge rate when engine running

PS which deviant at Fiat decided it would be a good idea to put a 5.5mm hex head self tapper in a recessed fitting adjacent to the steering column on the pollen filter cover - WTF 🤬😤

Want to check mines not wet through with the other issue I had / but rain stopped play when I tried to figure out best way to remove it - thinking 🔨 😎

Will keep this thread updated - glad everyone finding it useful (or humorous!!!)

They are normally packed very well with afew layers of polystyrene around then and placed inside a plastic liner bag so should be protected

Also it does have battery written on the box or at least mine did with big arrow saying to keep upright so should at least give it a fighting chance

My experience with Tayna was like that, didnt stop the berk delivering it carrying it upside down

Ok guys (and any dolls who want to chip in?). I think this is probably the battery I'm looking for - sized by the number 012. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-160815.html

Seems to be standard size for the 1.4 100Hp 169 and later 319. Some sites, like the Halfords one here, seem to offer it as an upgrade for the standard 169.

I've just been out and checked Becky's existing battery and got a wee bit of a surprise. It's a genuine Fiat/Alfa battery, even got the Fiat/Alfa logo on it. A closer look reveals it's actually an Exide (seen a lot of original fit Exides in Fiats) and I think it's the original. My boy's 2012 Punto had an almost identical battery in it which we changed recently due to it failing. Non of that's especially surprising, although, if it is the original, it's done pretty well (car first reg 2010) The surprise though is the battery spec. It's a 50Ah whereas the standard original fitment I've seen in earlier 169 models was only about 40 to 45 Ah. So now I'm wondering if the failing battery is actually the original or one which has been replaced at some time by a bigger one. Mind you my 169, being a 2010 Eco Dynamic, is quite late on in the production run and the 319 comes with the higher capacity battery so maybe they just started fitting larger capacity batteries as the run progressed?

Anyway, as my aim is to fit a battery of good capacity I'd like to avoid the standard recommendation: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-174056.html which now seems to be a 45Ah and substitute the one above which seems to be a 54Ah. Both these new batteries claim a very considerable increase in cold cranking amps too (which I've noticed before when comparing new and old batteries - Technology marching ahead I suppose).

So, the question is, can anyone reassure me that the 012 size battery is the one I want?

PS which deviant at Fiat decided it would be a good idea to put a 5.5mm hex head self tapper in a recessed fitting adjacent to the steering column on the pollen filter cover - WTF 🤬😤

Know exactly what you mean; I had to buy a 1/4" drive set of sockets from Screwfix or was it Toolstation? (OK it was cheap) just for that socket! It must be the only fastener that size on the car?

Reactions: TTR
Ok guys (and any dolls who want to chip in?). I think this is probably the battery I'm looking for - sized by the number 012. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-160815.html

Seems to be standard size for the 1.4 100Hp 169 and later 319. Some sites, like the Halfords one here, seem to offer it as an upgrade for the standard 169.

I've just been out and checked Becky's existing battery and got a wee bit of a surprise. It's a genuine Fiat/Alfa battery, even got the Fiat/Alfa logo on it. A closer look reveals it's actually an Exide (seen a lot of original fit Exides in Fiats) and I think it's the original. My boy's 2012 Punto had an almost identical battery in it which we changed recently due to it failing. Non of that's especially surprising, although, if it is the original, it's done pretty well (car first reg 2010) The surprise though is the battery spec. It's a 50Ah whereas the standard original fitment I've seen in earlier 169 models was only about 40 to 45 Ah. So now I'm wondering if the failing battery is actually the original or one which has been replaced at some time by a bigger one. Mind you my 169, being a 2010 Eco Dynamic, is quite late on in the production run and the 319 comes with the higher capacity battery so maybe they just started fitting larger capacity batteries as the run progressed?

Anyway, as my aim is to fit a battery of good capacity I'd like to avoid the standard recommendation: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-174056.html which now seems to be a 45Ah and substitute the one above which seems to be a 54Ah. Both these new batteries claim a very considerable increase in cold cranking amps too (which I've noticed before when comparing new and old batteries - Technology marching ahead I suppose).

So, the question is, can anyone reassure me that the 012 size battery is the one I want?
Been caught out by Halfords before, it wasn’t until I got home that I noticed the terminals were transposed and there was no way the leads would reach (panda 1200 4x4) take a photo of your existing battery and lead locations with you…got my money back and went to Ripon Farm Services and got a kramp battery for a compact tractor, fit like a glove

Yes ours was exide 44A/hr but may have been a 2015 code so not original. 012 sounds like the one. Halfds offered £5 off for joining the drivers club so I took it. The 2nd one got a 10% discount through GEM breakdown. so £91 & £78. Both cars seem the same now at 14.2v on load when running. I think it sounds very like your battery is on the point as its doing more or less what our 169 was doing. Both our failed batteries showed 12.6 volts at rest but were as dead as dead can be. New battery seems to be 13.2 at rest after a coupler of days use. The ones I fitted are 54 or 55A/hr so a leg up from the previous one. The alternator on the newer car is also slightly uprated.

Yes ours was exide 44A/hr but may have been a 2015 code so not original. 012 sounds like the one. Halfds offered £5 off for joining the drivers club so I took it. The 2nd one got a 10% discount through GEM breakdown. so £91 & £78. Both cars seem the same now at 14.2v on load when running. I think it sounds very like your battery is on the point as its doing more or less what our 169 was doing. Both our failed batteries showed 12.6 volts at rest but were as dead as dead can be. New battery seems to be 13.2 at rest after a coupler of days use. The ones I fitted are 54 or 55A/hr so a leg up from the previous one. The alternator on the newer car is also slightly uprated.
Thanks for that. I'm feeling quite confident now that that's the size and capacity which I'm going to fit (ie. size 012 @ somewhere around 54/55Ah capacity) I haven't had a chance to get down to Halfords yet - they will only quote prices against the trade card if you are there in person - not unreasonable I think. Also I'd like to see what Kenny would take for one of the Ford batteries, although my instincts are to go with a "big" name. Then I'll make my mind up as to whether I'll "risk" getting it from Tayna - who I think will be cheapest.

So thanks folks. As always, great help from you guys. I'll be sure to let you know what I buy when I finally make up my mind.

Not been very well the last couple of days so not done anything yet about the new battery but, in the meantime, a "left field" late entry has appeared on the scene. I was ringing SRS about some parts for a wee job I'll soon be doing on the Jazz and popped the Panda battery into the equation. "I'll do you one for that" said he. "Oh, can you quote me a price and what make would it be? "As to make we supply Bosch and NAPA, you choose". Problem is they identify everything from vehicle reg no so it only comes up with the small 45Ah standard battery whereas I want the bigger 54/55ah fitted to the 319 and 100 Hp as fitted by Panda Nut to his. They don't recognize the 012 number but can supply by dimensions. So now I'm going to get some sizes from the Tayna and Halfords websites for the 012 battery and see what SRS can do with it. I'm happy to do this as they tend to sell me stuff cheaper than any other supplier around here. My guess would be that the NAPA branded battery will be cheaper so I'm inclined to go with a Bosch product (my jumper battery is a Bosch silver, from my old diesel Cordoba, and has lasted "for ever") but I find myself wondering who actually makes the NAPA branded battery - anybody know?

I dont knowabout Nappa but its liely a variety of suppliers as otherwise they would say who their maker is. Halford supplier is Yuasa. Multiple makers will mean some variation in the product. There are small battery makers who are excellent but there are some that do things very cheaply. They all work well day 1! I tend to buy with the longest warranty available as an indicator or likely life span, and buy from known suppliers that will be there to honour said warranty. (sounds like you) The only time I didnt was 40 years ago and the battery failed twice before I got a good one. The Halford listing only showed the bigger battery for the 169, but plenty of suppliers (incl ECP) listed the smaller one which I believe was the original standard. In this cold snap Daffo starts easily even after being out all night so I am happy with the purchase. The smaller batteries are cheaper and should still do the job, but getting a good quality batteyr is possibly even more important if the capacity is lower. Less wiggle room? Our independant supplier reckoned Varts are top quality, but neither price nor availability worked for me. I recommend measuring the battery pan on the car in case yours is different size to mine. The bigger battery has about 1 inch of room to spare in its long axis and is the same size as the little battery in short access depth. The space looks identical. I cleaned the earth comprehensively at the same time on the 169 which meant losing the pan and unbolting the slave cylinder on Ruby (2014) I didnt bother as all was normal until I pinched its battery which then promptly gave up too.

I dont knowabout Nappa but its liely a variety of suppliers as otherwise they would say who their maker is. Halford supplier is Yuasa. Multiple makers will mean some variation in the product. There are small battery makers who are excellent but there are some that do things very cheaply. They all work well day 1! I tend to buy with the longest warranty available as an indicator or likely life span, and buy from known suppliers that will be there to honour said warranty. (sounds like you) The only time I didnt was 40 years ago and the battery failed twice before I got a good one. The Halford listing only showed the bigger battery for the 169, but plenty of suppliers (incl ECP) listed the smaller one which I believe was the original standard. In this cold snap Daffo starts easily even after being out all night so I am happy with the purchase. The smaller batteries are cheaper and should still do the job, but getting a good quality batteyr is possibly even more important if the capacity is lower. Less wiggle room? Our independant supplier reckoned Varts are top quality, but neither price nor availability worked for me. I recommend measuring the battery pan on the car in case yours is different size to mine. The bigger battery has about 1 inch of room to spare in its long axis and is the same size as the little battery in short access depth. The space looks identical. I cleaned the earth comprehensively at the same time on the 169 which meant losing the pan and unbolting the slave cylinder on Ruby (2014) I didnt bother as all was normal until I pinched its battery which then promptly gave up too.
Thanks Panda Nut. It's only the bigger battery that interests me and it's dimensions look as near to the old battery as makes no difference. So this 012 looks like the size I want. It's just that SRS's database doesn't list by the 012 number but they can check by sizes - although he tells me it's a bit of a faff to do it that way which is why I'm checking via other websites to get a cross reference to an actual battery. The Bosch brand is proving my most likely avenue as many suppliers sell them. Once I identify the right Bosch part number then he can cross reference using that and he'll be able to "reveal all". I'm a bit wary of the NAPA jobbie but I think they are giving a 5 year warranty on it - need to double check. I'll probably end up with the Bosch unless the price difference is a large one.

Thanks very much for your help on this, much appreciated.

Just been on Tayna's site and the 012 Yuasa comes in at 207 long x 190 high x 175 wide. The original Exide in the car measures 195 long x 185 high x 165 wide (if you measure the actual case width. Include the hold down lugs on the bottom and it's 175) Looks like there's plenty of room to accomadate the extra length but I'd like to know if the width measurement quoted for the Yuasa is case size (the case which holds the plates and electrolyte) or total width including the lugs) as that might be a bit of a squeeze if the Yuasa is 10mm wider than the old exide. Oh great, just had a brain storm. Looked up the standard fit "wee" battery on the Halfords site and it's quoted at 175 wide! So all looks Ok! Looks to be plenty of room to accommodate the extra 22mm (195 to 207) in length of the higher capacity battery - but I'll measure tomorrow just to be sure. Looking like I'm all go for Monday.

https://napaautoparts.eu/en/products/vehicle-batteries/

USA.
NAPA is one of the brands manufactured by the East Penn Manufacturing Company. The company has been mass manufacturing lead-acid batteries for over 70 years.

Thanks Panda Nut. Yes, I read that but I find myself wondering if they source from the US for European supply? I get on very well with the folk at SRS so I think I'll just ask outright whether they know. Really must extricate the digit on this one as I'm beginning to worry a little every time Mrs J goes off in the car on her own - she often parks in supermarket and shopping centre car parks which, of course, are time limited. It'd be a pity to incur a fine if she overstays due to not being able to get it started.

I haven’t read every post so might have missed something

How did we end up with a battery
The manual says
Engine oil pressure sensor failure.
Problem with parking sensors.
Water in diesel
Fuel cut off not available
External light failure

At least two people have ignored a intermittent error for months latter a bulb to fail properly one day light running the other a number plate

If it was me. I have the equipment to interrogate the body computer. I would just read the stored code

I haven’t read every post so might have missed something

How did we end up with a battery

If it was me. I have the equipment to interrogate the body computer. I would just read the stored code
Many apologies koalar and everyone. I got distracted and "lost" myself with Panda Nut trying to establish what battery I was looking for to fit to Becky. I'm very grateful to Panda Nut for his help but apologise unreservedly for deflecting this thread.

2012/13 4x4 80K miles , I changed battery from the factory original, to another Exide several weeks ago. ( EXIDE EL600 027 EFB Stop / Start Car Battery 12V 60AH 640CCA, from Battery Group, so higher capacity than the 45/54 mentioned.) Had ESC, ABS etc warnings, which now gone, BUT the start/stop and triangle back again ! Vehicle does around 20 mile trip, in the dark, morning and evenings, it that time of year, lights,heater, sat nav, dash cam, radio , charging phone........ Volts ok, obviously, so going to check current from Alternator next, when it stops snowing **********. Watching to see what else gets mentioned.

2012/13 4x4 80K miles , I changed battery from the factory original, to another Exide several weeks ago. ( EXIDE EL600 027 EFB Stop / Start Car Battery 12V 60AH 640CCA, from Battery Group, so higher capacity than the 45/54 mentioned.) Had ESC, ABS etc warnings, which now gone, BUT the start/stop and triangle back again ! Vehicle does around 20 mile trip, in the dark, morning and evenings, it that time of year, lights,heater, sat nav, dash cam, radio , charging phone........ Volts ok, obviously, so going to check current from Alternator next, when it stops snowing **********. Watching to see what else gets mentioned.
Ok, not untypical from my own experience, same car, same mileage same year; new battery and replaced voltage monitor (on -ve post), Stop Start unavailable maybe two months later. Mine does shortish commute trip on a daily basis 20 miles there and back; I suspect cumulatively the battery never really recovers to peak performance which is where it seems to need to be for SS to function - I'm not so bothered. You list dash cam, sat nav and phone charger which are three more loads than mine carrys.

I'm going to be interested to hear how you check the current, you've previously made it clear you have some electrical engineering experience, so looking to learn here.

Also, I don't get yellow triangle when stop start unavailable so suspect you have a bulb out or some or other non-critical (not engine management) issue?

2012/13 4x4 80K miles , I changed battery from the factory original, to another Exide several weeks ago. ( EXIDE EL600 027 EFB Stop / Start Car Battery 12V 60AH 640CCA, from Battery Group, so higher capacity than the 45/54 mentioned.) Had ESC, ABS etc warnings, which now gone, BUT the start/stop and triangle back again !
As expected, but at least we have ruled out the battery

Vehicle does around 20 mile trip,
40 miles each way once a week is enough to keep it charged up

20 miles daily should be fine without start stop. Not to sure how much you can push start stop in winter as my car does not have it.

in the dark, morning and evenings, it that time of year, lights,heater, sat nav, dash cam, radio , charging phone........ Volts ok, obviously, so going to check current from Alternator next, when it stops snowing **********. Watching to see what else gets mentioned.
I would connect a scanner to the. Body computer

You would need multiECUscan full
Plus USB elm
Plus adapter cable

Or WoW, Delphi and multiplexer or similar

And read the code

Maybe someone nearby could help

If I was to guess it would be something around the rear brake light housing/bulb as a fault here will both affect the start stop and yellow triangle. But it would be much easier to just read the code and take the guess out of it

Just measure the battery voltage after it’s been off for several hours.

If the resting voltage is within spec you already know there’s no drain and it’s charging properly

Back