Technical x19 aircleaner

Currently reading:
Technical x19 aircleaner

thommo 1

Hi, Ive got a 1978 x19 bertone. The air cleaner housing rubs on the bonnett (engine cover) when travelling over rough roads. Does anyone know if there is another aircleaner that can be fitted that would be slightly lower and has the intake tube pointing to the left of the vehicle instead of the right. ( standing at the rear of the vehicle looking forward). any help would be much appreciated.

This really should not be happening. Since it is a 1978 I will assume it is a 1300 and has the lower engine cover.

There is a bit of an issue with the wrong upper engine mount (the tie-bar to the cross member behind the engine) being used which changes the tilt of the engine and could be an issue but you would have other problems too if that were the case.

Hi jimbro, thanks for your reply. If it had the wrong engine mount fitted what would be the other problems?

The engine has two fixed point engine mounts so fitting the wrong tie-bar forces it to rotate about those points. Effectively it is no longer inline across the car but sitting askew. The implications are that the driveshafts are no longer inline with each other and the gear linkage is offset. The differences are not necessarily large but can have noticibly implications with things like shifting gears and knocking from the rear. The two fixed engine mounts will also wear out quicker. If the lower engine mount fails you can find the engine actually shifts gear itself as you use the throttle (or at best just drops into neutral). If the side engine mount fails it can rock up, down, back and forth. It can also result in the cambelt tensioner (built into the mounting) to fail.

Something that thommo said in his original post has made me wonder...do you think you could post a photo of the engine cleaner? Somehow i think you may have the air cleaner rotated 180 degrees, which could be causing the problem.

Something that thommo said in his original post has made me wonder...do you think you could post a photo of the engine cleaner? Somehow i think you may have the air cleaner rotated 180 degrees, which could be causing the problem.
hi, sorry im not able to take a photo but if you are standing at the rear of the car looking forward the aircleaner is positioned to the right side of the engine, the intake faces forward, slightly to the right and points downwards. To me it doesnt look like it can be mounted any other way due to the mounting bolts etc. But i could be wrong. any suggestions?

hi, sorry im not able to take a photo but if you are standing at the rear of the car looking forward the aircleaner is positioned to the right side of the engine, the intake faces forward, slightly to the right and points downwards. To me it doesnt look like it can be mounted any other way due to the mounting bolts etc. But i could be wrong. any suggestions?

Hello, I believe the air horn should be to the left (you standing at the back looking forward). There's an eBay listing which shows a few pics of the engine area. I'm unable to post links, so just go to eBay and search for item # 330357745716.

Hope this helps.
Lou.

Attachments

• !BZyy!9!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKo,SKVsbg~~_12.JPG
    !BZyy!9!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKo,SKVsbg~~_12.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 30
  • !BZyy!uwB2k~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZB)tBKo,SJJ,HQ~~_12.JPG
    !BZyy!uwB2k~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZB)tBKo,SJJ,HQ~~_12.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 29
Hello, I believe the air horn should be to the left (you standing at the back looking forward). There's an eBay listing which shows a few pics of the engine area. I'm unable to post links, so just go to eBay and search for item # 330357745716.

Hope this helps.
Lou.

Thanks for that, My aircleaner looks like it must be off something else, Checked with the wreckers and the correct one is available.:):):)

Back