General would you buy this?

Currently reading:
General would you buy this?

I'm not sure where you're aiming with this, but after talking to Phil Ward and Paul De Turris, as mentioned in the article a RHD Barchetta isn't the same as a LHD one. There's a lot more than part swapping involved.

Cars never are the same when they have been converted. Obviously there is a lot of work other than parts swapping involved, I'm just stating that a similar car (Punto) came in both LHD and RHD so a good conversion isn't out of this world.

I believe you are talking about different instruments. A mileometer/odometer records distance travelled and a speedometer records speed. The latter is certainly required by law and used to have to be accurate to within +/- 10%. The speedometer, as far as I know, is not part of an MOT test though.
A mileometer/odometer is not required by law and not part of the MOT test. Offences relating to these tend to concern misrepresentation of the condition of the vehicle and are usually brought to court by council trading standards officers. Its not an offence to alter the mileage but it is an offence not to inform any future buyers that you have done so. Often dealers will give a written statement on the lines of "the mileage shown cannot be guaranteed" or similar. Hope this helps - Steve

Incidentally - the 10% tolerance is useful as, police should allow for this when considering prosecutions, particularly from speed camera evidence. The recommended rule used to be 10% plus 2mph thus you should not get convicted for 35mph in a 30mph zone.

Last edited:
Very true. If it's not working and the speedo is, its probable that its been tampered with. Faces on clocks tend to be painted after assembly and sometimes you can see if the tiny screws that hold them together have been removed as the paint is broken around the heads. Another symptom of clocking can be the numbers on the wheels not aligning perfectly, particularly the tenths of a mile wheel.

When I first bought my car My speedo worked fine but the Oddo was stuck or at least couln not be reset...

After reading other posts... I disasembled mine and fixed the problem.. asically in doing this I could have out whatever milage I desired on the car... Than God for MOT records in the UK!!!

who says it's not illegal to have speedo working incorrectly. You need to look at this you will have a big surprise if stopped by police
http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/DefectPenaltiesIfStoppedByThePolice.html

Not trying to be picky with wording, but are 'not having a speedo' and having a fault speedo two different things?

After all, at a road-side stop how will they know if the speedo is working or not?

I believe you are talking about different instruments. A mileometer/odometer records distance travelled and a speedometer records speed. The latter is certainly required by law and used to have to be accurate to within +/- 10%.

Wrong. Speedo's Cannot under-read (when sold new) but can over-read (to allow for different size tyres etc). They can only overread by 10% though.

Incidentally - the 10% tolerance is useful as, police should allow for this when considering prosecutions, particularly from speed camera evidence. The recommended rule used to be 10% plus 2mph thus you should not get convicted for 35mph in a 30mph zone.

What you've stated are only guidelines and will not stand up in court. You'll be done for 31 in a 30 if the evidence is there to prove you were doing that speed.

Not trying to be picky with wording, but are 'not having a speedo' and having a fault speedo two different things?

After all, at a road-side stop how will they know if the speedo is working or not?

Wrong. Speedo's Cannot under-read (when sold new) but can over-read (to allow for different size tyres etc). They can only overread by 10% though.

What you've stated are only guidelines and will not stand up in court. You'll be done for 31 in a 30 if the evidence is there to prove you were doing that speed.

Let's keep it nice here guys, this isn't the Punto section!

:)

Barchetta forum is house trained...

If you want a giggle travel to the Bravo forum...

I was reading a post by some dimwit on there about how he chased and burned a BMW M3 with his diesel bravo..because the Bravo 150 has a similar power output..! Must be the acne and the baseball cap.

Back