General Wot no Ulysse available in the UK?

Currently reading:
General Wot no Ulysse available in the UK?

Mick Magic

Hello,

Just noticed that the ulysse is no longer available new in the UK :eek: . Have been on the Fiat website not listed, Top Gear, Auto Express, Test Drive no reference in new car section. What's happened? I checked out Fiat in Irealand and they still can supply the full range.

Were sales really that bad compared to C8 and 807 derivitives. Personally i think the ulysse looks superior and better value than the other two. Compared to other similar MPV's such as the fords, vw's and renaults the ulysse is miles ahead.

Hopefully when the new one is launched the UK will get it also?:confused:

I don't think the dealers like them as they struggle with the knowledge to fix faults. They are not made by Fiat and the information that Fiat has on the vehicles is limited compared to Citroen or Peugeot. I think this leads to them being expensive to market and support so they pulled the plug.

That's certainly the impression I got from the various dealers I spoke to and also the spare parts listings are not as comprehensive as the Citroen & Peugeot, which means they often have to replace total assemblies rather than small parts. This is expensive for Fiat if under warranty and even worse if you are paying yourself.

If I need any parts I tend to buy them from the local Citroen dealer. For example the clips on the light covers in the boot snapped off when changing a bulb, tried to buy them from Fiat who said you had to buy the whole cover as clips were not available as seperate item, went to Citroen and got the clips for a few pence as they were listed.

poggy said:
I don't think the dealers like them as they struggle with the knowledge to fix faults. They are not made by Fiat and the information that Fiat has on the vehicles is limited compared to Citroen or Peugeot.

Disagree there mate,Ulysee has probably the most comprehensive 'manual' available to technicians in the Fiat range & there is a very good course dedicated to the Ulysee available to technicians(y)
Its actually peugeot dealers that often phone us up for help!

Problem is,although nice to drive/good ideas/look good,they have so many flawed design problems.

T14086 said:
Disagree there mate,Ulysee has probably the most comprehensive 'manual' available to technicians in the Fiat range & there is a very good course dedicated to the Ulysee available to technicians(y)
Its actually peugeot dealers that often phone us up for help!

Problem is,although nice to drive/good ideas/look good,they have so many flawed design problems.

I was going on what the two dealers I used told me, it was about a year ago so maybe they have improved the manual, but they used to apologise and say "Sorry we simply don't have the technical info on the Ulysse, must be Peugeot not providing it".

Maybe it's just the local dealers didn't bother with the course because of the low numbers sold.

Tech manuals have always been good but the old style (121) ulysee tech manuals are abit poor.

Techs are instructed to go on courses by Fiat or they lose distinction points.

I think the 'fear' comes from the dreaded French wiring:(

can anyone help with my ulysse problem ! i just picked one up an R reg 97 model that was advertised locally it was going cheep because it had a gearbox problem , having changed gearbox's on other cars in the past i thought it would be straightforward but that has turned out not to be the case.

first i cant get a workshop manual :( , so i started to just take of drive shafts etc as per any other car only to find out the drivers side shaft is a two part set up with outrigger bearing and i cant get the inner half out of the gearbox (n)

also it looks as if i am going to have to drop the sub frame to get the box out because its to big to come out the gap between the frame and inner wing . can anybody offer any advice ? be sensible chaps no jokes about matches and petrol thanks

Due too lack of new Ulysse's I am slightly worried that when I finally replace my current Ulysse I might have to change brand(n) I'm thinking Caravelle:chin: Though I might think about Looking for a Ducato minibus.

nixe sorry I know nothing about the gearbox removal etc but It might be better to start a new thread for you inquiry:)

T14086 said:
Tech manuals have always been good but the old style (121) ulysee tech manuals are abit poor.

Techs are instructed to go on courses by Fiat or they lose distinction points.

I think the 'fear' comes from the dreaded French wiring:(

Actually all the problems I have had have been minor electrical issues. Still in the last 12 months all has been fine except the sunroof problem where the "one touch" features keeps loosing it's setting, but to be honest it's not a huge problem. The dealer said they will have a fix eventually, but if it involves removing roof trim etc, I think I will leave it.

The Ulysse is the only car I have kept for more than two years and we will be keeping for a few more years as it is basically a great car.

I had a rant and rave about this in this thread https://www.fiatforum.com/ulysse/57168-ulysse-still-sale-uk.html

Basically Fiat have never ever been able to effectively market their larger models in the UK. This may have been because in the past most of their large models were not great, though probably no worse then most. In the past patriotism played a large part in sales but this has largely gone.

This is without a doubt the best Fiat I have ever driven and for the spec, price and driveability it is better then the Peugeot. I don't know about the Citroen as I did not test drive that one.

Who knows, they may change their minds and bring it back.

Lou

nixe said:
first i cant get a workshop manual :( , so i started to just take of drive shafts etc as per any other car only to find out the drivers side shaft is a two part set up with outrigger bearing and i cant get the inner half out of the gearbox (n)

Have you tried the manual from off of eBay?
just search for Ulysse.

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back