Technical Won't start after theft!

Currently reading:
Technical Won't start after theft!

Stevieg70

Hi, our campervan was stolen last weekend and dumped on the same day. Its a Adria camper on a 2015 Fiat Ducato. They punched the drivers door lock to access the van and then ripped off the ignition barrel. The OBD port was open and the ignition switch was exposed. So they bypassed the immobiliser via the OBD and the just turned the ignition switch to start. You can buy emergency start OBD bypasses for £400!
When I picked it up I was able to start it by holding the key up to the immobiliser transponder (black plastic ring around the ignition barrel) and turn the ignition switch to get it home. That was all good until I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery and tried to start it would not turn over. All the lights came on as normal but to turning over.
I had a Mobile locksmith come out to replace the barrel and he tried reprogramming the keys but it failed to start. A quick diagnostics showed a problem with the Body Control Module. He thinks that the ECU has locked the keys out after it was stolen, but I was able to drive it home. The only thing I did was disconnect the battery. Not sure what to do..

Last edited:
Hi, our campervan was stolen last weekend and dumped on the same day. Its a Adria camper on a 2015 Fiat Ducato. They punched the drivers door lock to access the van and then ripped off the ignition barrel. The OBD port was open and the ignition switch was exposed. So they bypassed the immobiliser via the OBD and the just turned the ignition switch to start. You can buy emergency start OBD bypasses for £400!
When I picked it up I was able to start it by holding the key up to the immobiliser transponder (black plastic ring around the ignition barrel) and turn the ignition switch to get it home. That was all good until I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery and tried to start it would not turn over. All the lights came on as normal but to turning over.
I had a Mobile locksmith come out to replace the barrel and he tried reprogramming the keys but it failed to start. A quick diagnostics showed a problem with the Body Control Module. He thinks that the ECU has locked the keys out after it was stolen, but I was able to drive it home. The only thing I did was disconnect the battery. Not sure what to do..
There is a procedure detailed in the hand book ,to be followed when disconnecting the starter battery on an x250 model. Basically it allows time for the system to shut down in an orderly manner. Failure to follow the procedure may cause problems.

There is nothing in the standard x250/x290 model starter motor circuit to prevent cranking. Not cranking is very basic, You should atleast hear a clunk from the starter solenoid. The standard immobiliser prevents fuel injection via the engine computer. If the key is recognised, the key code light will go out almost immediately after turning the key, however if the immobiliser function has been deleted?

There is a procedure detailed in the hand book ,to be followed when disconnecting the starter battery on an x250 model. Basically it allows time for the system to shut down in an orderly manner. Failure to follow the procedure may cause problems.

There is nothing in the standard x250/x290 model starter motor circuit to prevent cranking. Not cranking is very basic, You should atleast hear a clunk from the starter solenoid. The standard immobiliser prevents fuel injection via the engine computer. If the key is recognised, the key code light will go out almost immediately after turning the key, however if the immobiliser function has been deleted?
I wonder if the starter motor is knackered. When the ignition switch was turned the starter motor continued to turn whilst driven. I didn't realise this until I got home, thought something was wrong with the engine.

Last edited:
That sounds like a fair bet god knows how fast the starter was spinning when driven by the engine.
Ah, I just noticed that the immobiliser light doesn't not illuminate when I put the key in and turn it. I thought it should come on initially? Would it have to go Fiat for diagnostics or can a good auto electrician sort this. Trying to avoid a large bill

Ah, I just noticed that the immobiliser light doesn't not illuminate when I put the key in and turn it. I thought it should come on initially? Would it have to go Fiat for diagnostics or can a good auto electrician sort this. Trying to avoid a large bill
Yes the immobiliser normally light normally comes on for a self check period. However if the thieves have disabled/removed the immobiliser code, then that would not be needed. I can draw a parallel from fitting a cruise control stalk to my x244. When installation was complete, and cruise control switched on, its presence was recognised with the appropriate light.
As regards the highlighted question, I am sorry but it is outside my experience/knowledge.

If you can reach the starter and have a way of testing voltage see if you get 12v on the
thin activation wire when you turn the key to crank the engine if yes likely the starter
if no look elsewhere.

Back