Technical Won't rev

Currently reading:
Technical Won't rev

Hi any one got any ideas?

Went to use stilo this morning started ok ish but seemed a bit lumpy pulled out of car park got onto main road and suddenly no power wouldn't rev above 1000rpm and if I tried to pull away it died. Sat there for a while trying to gradually increase the revs eventually the revs increased all be it very lumpy then a massive cloud of white smoke and it ran fine.

From doing a few searches do far I've come up with egr or shudder valve,

Car is a stilo 1.9 jtd multiwagon

"Went to use..." sounds like the car's been sat around for a long time doing nothing?

I doubt you have an EGR problem. If the valve was seized up (e.g. sitting around for a long time doing nothing) then you would likely get an "Engine Fault" message on the dashboard LED. Conversely, if a pipe was blocked (although not sure how not using it would cause a pipe to become blocked) then that would not generate any errors at all. EGR blanking plates work by blocking the pipes and they don't cause other problems.

I presume you didn't see a glow plug error on the dashboard LED? If you have reason to suspect your dashboard LED isn't working/sensibly then it may be worth a punt taking out each glow plug and connecting it to a battery to see if it lamps up and glows orangey. But only do this out of interest or while you drink your tea/have a cake or bacon sarnie.. usually Stilo gives an error if a plug is out.

Similarly.. I presume you didn't see any error about water in the fuel? There is a drain on the bottom of the fuel filter canister which you can unscrew by hand once you have removed the electrical plug and that lets any water out of the bottom (there's a stub where you can attach a small hose, so as not to **** oily water all ober the gearbox). Personally, I would remove the fuel lines from the canister boss/mount and then unbolt the whole thing.. then unscrew the canister from the boss away from the bulkhead.. there's just more space. Keep the canister upright to avoid sloshing diesel everywhere.

If the canister drain comes out clear (just diesel) then it's either the pump/fuel rail pressure or the ECU doesn't know the engine is cold and is not richening the mixture.

Does the beast run better when it's hot, or does it do this hesitating all the time?

If it's not hesitating when it's hot .. if you drive it under load, e.g. up a hill, does it hesitate then?

And what's your coolant like? Clean and pink or full of brown sludge? Does the level stay constant, or do you lose a small amount of fluid over time that constantly needs a bit of a top up?

Ralf S.

Problem solved.

Removed egr gave that a good clean with carb cleaner.

Removed map sensor cleaned with electrical contact cleaner

Sprayed some wynns egr cleaner through the air intake

Filled up with shell power diesel

Stuck some millers injector cleaner in with the diesel.

Two things that I think helped the most were the injector cleaner and removing and cleaning the egr.

If you go to your local B&Q you'll find something called "Turpentine Substitute" for sale next to the White Spirit and the brush cleaners.

It's essentially kerosene (as used for paraffin burning greenhouse heaters, although "paraffin" sold as greenhouse heater fuel costs more, for some reason).

Buy yourself a 5ltr container (aboot £8...) then add about 250ml (a regular sized mug) to every full tank of diesel. Apart from it burns and it's cheaper than diesel, kerosene is the active ingedient (80-90% by volume) of most injector cleaners.

It works out about 40p per tank treatment, rather than the £8 that Millers, Red-X etc. costs (albeit it's only got the kerosene rather than the other ingredients).

The missing ingredients are acetone, toluene and sometimes propanol.. but they make up just 10-15% of the volume of injector cleaner... and it's not worth the trouble/risk of having quantities of these flammible liquids lying around for the 10ml you'd need every now and then. Kerosene alone won't hurt the injector pump or seals but it will shift some of the gum/varnish inside the fuel system.

I use a shot with every fill up.. (plus 50ml/0.001% of 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate .. but that's another story) and never had any aggro'.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back