Technical Wobbly wheelnuts

Currently reading:
Technical Wobbly wheelnuts

Tipo Jack

Diesel rules!
Does anyone have any experience of them? Are they any good and do they work? I'm thinking about getting some 4x100 alloys I've seen. Also, can you get locking wheel bolts if using wobbly ones?

I did do a forum search but nobody seems to have said whether they are any good. Cheers.

They are not fine at all!!
100mm wheels ive seen on a couple of cars recently, and the damn things undid themselves or sheared off. One guy using them on his Bravo, lost a wheel on a motorway and ended up in a ditch with serious injuries. Think the incident was talked about on here a while back.
Wheel bolts are designed to sit straight and have no load bearing on them. The load bearing on the wobbly ones is high. It also puts a strain on the Wheel bearing also believe it or not. Buy 98 mm wheels and be safe. I know other Fiat forums are dead against them. No doubt people on here will say otherwise, but dont say i did not warn you.

Andy.

Wobbly wheel bolts are like bald tyres, able to do a job, but an accident waiting to happen. Also remember, the centre of the wheel has moved ever so slightly with wobbly bolts, and is def not a good idea. I would stick to correct wheels with correct offset.

Andy.

Whether you use the correct one or not, to use the wrong size wheel centres with proberly the wrong offset is just plain crazy. The wheels were not designed for the car, and if you had an accident, and the insurance assessor saw you had wobble bolts fitted, wonder if he would class your insurance as void? Your wheels, tyres and brakes are your life line, why compromise?? There are plenty of 98mm wheels out there these days to pick from, so why bother with 100mm??
Iam sure i read somewhere, that some countries have banned then as dangerous due to problems.

Andy.

Whether you use the correct one or not, to use the wrong size wheel centres with proberly the wrong offset is just plain crazy. The wheels were not designed for the car, and if you had an accident, and the insurance assessor saw you had wobble bolts fitted, wonder if he would class your insurance as void? Your wheels, tyres and brakes are your life line, why compromise?? There are plenty of 98mm wheels out there these days to pick from, so why bother with 100mm??
Iam sure i read somewhere, that some countries have banned then as dangerous due to problems.

Andy.

ive had 2 bolts snap using them on a lancia dedra same stud pattern as the tepo/tempra sold the bmw wheels and put the old alloys back on didnt feel safe after the close shave .so each to there own i wont say dont use them mabey i was just unlucky but there not for me

hmmmmm....I didn't mean to start an arguement but I think it seems too many people have had problems for my liking (more than one!).

I'll be sticking to 4x98 then! Thanks for all your input.

They are not fine at all!!
100mm wheels ive seen on a couple of cars recently, and the damn things undid themselves or sheared off. One guy using them on his Bravo, lost a wheel on a motorway and ended up in a ditch with serious injuries. Think the incident was talked about on here a while back.
Wheel bolts are designed to sit straight and have no load bearing on them. The load bearing on the wobbly ones is high. It also puts a strain on the Wheel bearing also believe it or not. Buy 98 mm wheels and be safe. I know other Fiat forums are dead against them. No doubt people on here will say otherwise, but dont say i did not warn you.

Andy.

Thats rubbish, there is no more load than a normal wheel bolt.

Thats rubbish, there is no more load than a normal wheel bolt.

Then why do the bolts snap? Because there is centerpedal force being applied. This will effect the wheel bearing. It like having an unbalanced lightened flywheel. Eventually it will break the bolts and send the flywheel through the bonnet. Once saw that at Santa Pod, a few years back.

Andy.

There is no latteral force on the bolts. There is no off-balance.

The spigot ring fits tight onto the hub and tight onto the wheel. Just like the centre of a normal alloy sits on the hub. The bolts take none of the weight of the car. You could sit the car on the wheel with no bolts in. The only force on the bolts is the force holding the wheel sideways against the hub. The 'wobbly' part means the bolt pulls straight in, and not at an angle.

Once again. There is no unbalance, as the wheel is sitting just as central on the hub via the spigot as a standard wheel. Any snapping is likely due to using incorrect material bolts, or overtightening.

Let me say this again. Due to the loose washer used on the bolt, the clamping force of the bolt is low [around the shoulder], and so clamps partially and so this creates force from bolt to middle, and from bolt to tyre. This puts stress on one side of the bolt leading to them snapping. They also undo on the nearside often as well. To get them to clamp sufficiently, requires overtightening, which leads to failure.
If they are so good, why do so many fail? And why are they banned in some countries? This last bit has remained unanswered.

Andy.

The set of 4x100 alloys fitted to my Tipo when I bought it went straight to the toolshed. I am using plain discs now and the alloys, although I like them very much, will be sold.
They were not attached with the wobbly bolts, they gave the whole car very unbalanced, almost dangerous feeling, and I am not ready to pay the price asked for the set of the wobbly bolts. These are subject of many disputes where I live as well and I can get a set of used, but very clean and unscratched factory-quality 4x98 original Fiat/Lancia alloys for the same price as the set of wobbly bolts from an unknown manufacturer.
I do not give a flying fcuk about the looks of my car, all I care about is safety and I am not taking any chances as far as tires/brakes are concerned.
This is all I have to add to this topic :).

Hellcat gave a good, easy to understand description.

Id say they brake because people do not know how to use them, or their limitations. I have seen these bolts work well on some FIAT race cars. Ive never seen one fail. I have seen a set of OE bolts and a stud conversion fail on a race car though. However you cant use this as a conclusion.

having had a few tipos now and lots of different alloys most of which have been 100pcd, i have not had the need for wobbly bolts , i have had no problems at all, Maybe some people experiencing bad behaviour with 100pcd wheels never had them balanced properly ,
Or the tyres have worn to the specific camber of the car they got them off if you know what i mean,
Im running 100pcd at the moment with 30mm spacers and no wobbly bolts,
(disaster waiting to happen i hear you cry)..... Time will tell, and checking them everyday will help...

having had a few tipos now and lots of different alloys most of which have been 100pcd, i have not had the need for wobbly bolts , i have had no problems at all, Maybe some people experiencing bad behaviour with 100pcd wheels never had them balanced properly ,
Or the tyres have worn to the specific camber of the car they got them off if you know what i mean,
Im running 100pcd at the moment with 30mm spacers and no wobbly bolts,
(disaster waiting to happen i hear you cry)..... Time will tell, and checking them everyday will help...

Yep, fitting 100pcd wheels on 98pcd hubs with standard bolts is very bad pracitice. Add 30mm spacers and thats about as unsafe as you can get IMO. This would be illegal in my country.

do not fit 4x100 wheels without wobblies :eek: they wont sit on evenly, and even if you get them to (or you dont either way) they will just elongate the holes.

i had studs and wobbly nuts for a while without problem, but ended up removing them as the wheels wouldnt fit the car (8J width) not because they were wobblies :)

hi everyone
i have something to say in this subject
here in egypt, the only avaliable " longer " bolts are what you call Wobbly
so for years now all cars with alloy wheels uses these bolts
i have 14" alloy`s on my tipo with 98pcd and ihave the Wobbly`s - no problem
alot of my friends have 14",15",16" with 100pcd on their standard 98pcd hubs and no problem inspite of the roads condition here which has alot of holes and speed pumbs
finally i`ve never heard of a bolt snap either on regular or Wobbly`s

Back