General Winter testing?

Currently reading:
General Winter testing?

:eek:Had a moments panic tonight outside the gym when I couldn't get into the b. The door handles had frozen. Eventually got it open. What with that and the handbrake issue it made me wonder did Fiat ever do any winter testing on the barchetta:confused:

Prototypes of most new cars are sent to the frozen north before launch so these kind of things don't happen.

:eek:Had a moments panic tonight outside the gym when I couldn't get into the b. The door handles had frozen. Eventually got it open. What with that and the handbrake issue it made me wonder did Fiat ever do any winter testing on the barchetta:confused:

Prototypes of most new cars are sent to the frozen north before launch so these kind of things don't happen.

I have a workaround for you............don't go to the gym, go to the pub - that way you cannot drive so getting back into the b after a couple of swifties is no longer a problem.......!

And, given that the car was built for the Med I doubt that they did much in the way of winter testing (come to that I doubt that they did much in the way of any testing!!)...........

Buy a car cover..I bought one for an MX5 on fleabay and butchered it to fit..Stops the windows, rear screen and door handles freezing.

Handbrake workaround is to leave in gear with the brake off and chock the wheels.

Fiat/Alfa & handbrakes...what is so difficult to make it work in the winter?

Business colleague has just bought a Brera 3.2 €65k of car...guess what..the handbrake freezes on...

Last edited:

I've had that every morning this week! I managed to get the door handle to open with some luke warm water, then by the time I'd cleared the windscreen it had frozen shut again!
xS

Could always garage it for the winter and get a banger to runaround in....

Fiat handbrakes always rubbish. I've had a b, Coupe 20vt, Tipo 16v, about 10 Lancia Themas and 2 Kappas and every one had a crap handbrake....

My parents Uno was the same, many years ago! Like Zem, mine's been working for a year now since I got the garage to replace the bits (well OK I got so annoyed I drove it with the brake frozen on and did some damage :devil: )

I find a precautionary squirt of the old WD40 in the lock hole helps. (y)

oh and judging by the tangle of induction pipes and the size of the air filter, the b was designed for dusty not icey climes!

Last edited:
it made me wonder did Fiat ever do any winter testing on the barchetta:confused:

FIAT just holds this next to their cars:

Attachments

• snowglobe.jpg
    snowglobe.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 11
Strange that 'cos north Italy gets pretty cold in the winter. Lots of that funny white flaky stuff up in the ski resorts.

Last edited:
Ah but the B is the only fiat I've come across without a ski hatch hidden in the seat..Coupe has one, Stilo as well and I think the new Chroma does...

Attachments

• Boot Rack - Snow Board.jpg
    Boot Rack - Snow Board.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 30
So?? Your point is? Why can't you take the B to a resort..think of all the fit girlies who'd have round heels over it...:D

It's late, we were all wittering on in our own little worlds (again), one thing is for sure -be it in a ski resort, the South of France or the M25 the b cannot be beaten for affordable style!!

Back