General Wing Mirror Glass

Currently reading:
General Wing Mirror Glass

GeeCee91

Hi all

The other night, shut the drivers door at work and the mirror glass on drivers mirror dropped out and smashed :( assume it was the cold, was between -8 and -12. Ordered a Replacement glass from local parts shop, but it was just a stick on glass, which required the existing glass to be there. after phoning around the only place that had them in stock was the local fiat dealer. They charged £26 to supply and fit the new glass. Once fitted the glass didn't adjust as far as i needed Or as far as the original, so went back and the apprentice broke it trying to re adjust it.... So now onto the 2nd replacement, and it still isn't adjusting as far, the senior mechanic had a try but fobbed me off by saying it would settle with time... Anyone had the drivers mirror glass replaced? Did it go back to being the same as the original, show the same reflective field and able to adjust properly? Or even Better, Anyone know of a decent place to get the mirror sorted In or around Edinburgh?? Or even Better, How easy is it to fix myself?

Any help appreciated, Grant

Oh, and avoid Arnold Clark Fiat In Broxburn/Uphall, Appealing service, Over priced, Lack of skill in staff and Possibly the most condescending, Insulting and Rude Service manager I have met...(n)

Thanks for that! Went back to the garage today, demanded to see the branch manager,:yuck: and now the mirror is 90% fixed, and for Just cost of glass too.:D

The amount of force they were putting on the mirror to adjust the glass was bending the fixing to the car. And I was pretty fed up of them being useless by this point, there is only so much incompetence one can take really (n)

I have done just the drivers mirror and even stock fiat is just stick on glass, just break off the old glass to leave the plastic frame behind and stick your new glass to it, simples, and before someone says 'no it aint', yes it is other wise they have found a way to develop glass with plastic growing out of it.

I have done just the drivers mirror and even stock fiat is just stick on glass, just break off the old glass to leave the plastic frame behind and stick your new glass to it, simples, and before someone says 'no it aint', yes it is other wise they have found a way to develop glass with plastic growing out of it.

:confused: who said it isn't.. if you read the post it says the glass fell out whilst at work so the glass was probably thrown away with I assume with the plastic hence the problem with the replacement being only the glass rather than the whole assembly

I still have the glass, But there was no plastic or any fixings came out, the mirror glass itself and a sticky pad dropped off, I still have the glass, its just in a few pieces. The original mirror seemed to almost magnify the view, but the replaceable one does not? is this right? or have the garage cocked up yet again?

:confused: who said it isn't..
There is always some smart arse that is willing to argue the toss so nipped it in the bud.

I still have the glass, But there was no plastic or any fixings came out.
It was probably still in the wing mirror and the garage just stuck a new glass to it as you cant just 'get one' it would have to be ordered from FIAT in which case you would know, the frame itself looks like stonehenge on 3 stilts lol (best way of thinking how it would look), the replacement glass is designed to be stuck on top of the fractured glass but when I did mine i took all the bust glass off the frame and did it properly so it looks, sits and operates like an original one.
Cant say it magnifies on mine as it just looks normal as does the passenger but the rear view magnifies which I find a pain as it makes it difficult to judge distances.

Last edited:
Back