General Window recall?

Currently reading:
General Window recall?

My young beast had its first service last week. The dealer remembered to re-set the service/mileage indicator and they stamped my book (no mean achievement! :p ) but they rang me yesterday saying they forgot to carry out a recall check they should have performed on the window glass.

I presume they mean the side windows, rather than the windscreen.. but does anyone knoe what this one is about? Hopefully they won't need to dismantle my car just to check there's no loose bit of wiring about to foul the window lifters etc. but the receptionista didn't know any precise details, so I've just booked it in.

Ralf S.

Only had mine serviced a month ago, and was back in last Saturday to get my change oil warning reset because they forgot as usual. Took them 90 minutes to get rid of the warning. No mention of windows though.

I didn't get a sensible explanation from the dealer... I only got to speak to the front desk and for half the conversation they thought my car was a Suzuki.. :unsure: (multi-franchised, as the dealer is) so I didn't want to bother them by pressing for too many details.. :geek:

It seems there is a batch of cars where the window wiring can snag on the glass or the mechanism (presumably one of the new guys in the factory fitted the clips in the wrong place or something)... so the check is to make sure the car isn't one of those.

They did mention "fit new glass" if required, so there may be a bit more to it (maybe it's the winder mechanism that can touch the glass) but anyway... that's the gist of it. Mine was good... so no worries.

Ralf S.

I didn't get a sensible explanation from the dealer... I only got to speak to the front desk and for half the conversation they thought my car was a Suzuki.. :unsure: (multi-franchised, as the dealer is) so I didn't want to bother them by pressing for too many details.. :geek:

It seems there is a batch of cars where the window wiring can snag on the glass or the mechanism (presumably one of the new guys in the factory fitted the clips in the wrong place or something)... so the check is to make sure the car isn't one of those.

They did mention "fit new glass" if required, so there may be a bit more to it (maybe it's the winder mechanism that can touch the glass) but anyway... that's the gist of it. Mine was good... so no worries.

Ralf S.
So not a case of the mechanic left a spanner under the bonnet and wanted it back!!!;););)

So not a case of the mechanic left a spanner under the bonnet and wanted it back!!!;););)

My young son attended a DayNursery that was next door to an Indy garage ( one plot out in the sticks)

Was a fuel stop and accomodation 50 years before

Amazing the tools I recovered
'in the gutter' within 1/4 mile from there..

We’ve all done it…usually blamed an apprentice though!
Not done it with tools as such (other than on my old 600D where I left a ring spanner around a brake pipe :). However I think twice I've left a wheel nut key on the wheel and gone for a test drive. Then spent an hour or so walking down the road looking for the key. 50% success.

This is all amatoor level stuff. :unsure:

I was once looking after a Renort Megane, which needed its battery recharging. The Mk1 Meg had a battery charger sized nook at the back of the engine bay, above the exhaust manifold (rear exiting exhaust on this model), so I stuck the charger in there while the battery was being re-juiced.

After a few hours of charging it up, I packed everything up, took away the extension cable etc. but I left the battery charger in this nook, so I could charge it some more the next day. Obviously I shut the bonnet to lock it all up, then went to have my dinner.

The next day, I finished doing some work on it.. I think it was re-fitting the silencer or something.. and in my excitement I wanted to take it for a blat around the block.

After a minute or two, I got the distinctly nasty stink of burning plastic.. and I remembered that some idiot 😉 had left the charger on top of the exhaust manifold. I didn't dump the now melted charger in the bushes.. it's still in the garage as a reminder.... 🧐 but the car did smell of burning plastic for a very long time afterwards. :geek:

Ralf S.

Back