Technical Will not start after long run

Currently reading:
Technical Will not start after long run

User1

2020 2.3 Automatic. First time it happend was a couple of weeks ago. Longish run, stopped and then went to restart zand just get a faint click. Phoned Camper Assist and told 3 hours. Waited 30 minutes and retried it and it started. Happened again yesterday. Arrived home after 160 miles. Stopped to move the car out of the way. Got back in. Turned key. All lights and just a faint click. This morning put key in and started first time.

Also with battery negative disconnected, check both connections to the starter motor, and connections at the jump start point.

Many years ago I had a Talbot Expres which displayed similar symptoms, but only when the engine was hot. The starter motor was close to the turbo on the Peugeot engine. I had added an aftermarket alarm and an additional hidden switch, both of these devices involved the solenoid circuit. I reasoned that the operation of the starter motor solenoid had become marginal, and that when the solenoid resistance increased as it got hot from the turbo there was insufficient current flowing. My solution was to add a relay in the solenoid circuit, which on that vehicle was a simple task with minimal wiring needed. End of that problem.

Back