Technical Why is my thermostat not working?

Currently reading:
Technical Why is my thermostat not working?

GrahamH2

Whilst waiting for the new fan to arrive and just out of curiosity I took the right hand cover off to see how the thermostat mechanism worked and this is what I found. No prizes for working out why it wasn’t working too well !

It does me no good to speculate why it is as it is but just to move on and fix it; so to this end I believe I am short of the parts outlined in red. Does anyone have those parts they don’t need?

ThermostatBits2.jpg

ThermostatBits.jpg

GrahamH2

Whilst waiting for the new fan to arrive and just out of curiosity I took the right hand cover off to see how the thermostat mechanism worked and this is what I found. No prizes for working out why it wasn’t working too well !

It does me no good to speculate why it is as it is but just to move on and fix it; so to this end I believe I am short of the parts outlined in red. Does anyone have those parts they don’t need?

View attachment 437491

View attachment 437490

GrahamH2

Oh dear. I suppose the only saving grace is that at least there was no thermostat or flap, rather than a defective one stuck shut!

The thermostat housing now has some internals but without any instructions it was a bit of a puzzle. The car is a 500-R so similar in some ways to the 126 and the kit supplied suits both the early models of 500 and the later 500-R, I only know this after a lot of head scratching and interweb searches. A tip here is to look on E-Bay for the parts you are dealing with as there is often good photos that can help. Maybe my pictures here will help someone. I couldn’t bring myself to fit steel bushes with a steel shaft so made up bronze bushes, and other than needing the to bend the torsion spring to fit (said it was a puzzle) it went together and seems to work.

Next job, refit the engine.

Thermostat1.jpg
Thermostat2.jpg

Back