Who here misses Abarth engines?

Currently reading:
Who here misses Abarth engines?

Who here misses Abarth Engine Units?

• Me!

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Not me!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Never driven a real abarth engined car.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • What's an Abarth engine?

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper

? :rolleyes:

My Autobianchi A112 Abarth had the same engine capacity as an ELX, however this unit was a monster and with the car being so light....we are talking serious pleasure. I have also mucked around in a Mod Strada, again, pleasure.

IMO FIAT destroyed a lot of prestige and respect when they stoped using Abarth engines... (y)

Last edited:
The "old skool" Abarth engines were phat! lol.
When i was tiny, y Uncle used to tweak, rebuild and generally play around with 131's, Strada's, Regatta's and x1/9s. He used Abarth engines in all these. I have a fond memory of riding in these cars. What beasts and the engine drone was ace.

i thought they made aberths still like the new fiat panda aberth or fiat siecento aberth but im to ung to remember a real aberth so i would'ent know what a real aberth is :confused:

No doubt its a beautiful car Ben, but its still not a genuine Abarth in the original form. Abarth engines were built by a dedicated team, modifying original spec engines to get maximum performance. Your car and mine are both Fiat through and through. Fast.. but Fiat.

Your car is an Abarth, but its not an Abarth engine. Hope you dont take offence :D

I like to think of my car's engine as a "new age" Abarth. It wasn't built by the original Abarth mechanics... but it is still an Abarth. It's is a high performance engine compared to the non-Abarth Stilos. It's not just styling, it is engine too... in true Abarth fashion of years ago.

Just because a Ford isn't built in the US, doesn't mean it's not a Ford... it's still going to leak oil :p

SLOVAC said:
I like to think of my car's engine as a "new age" Abarth. It wasn't built by the original Abarth mechanics... but it is still an Abarth. It's is a high performance engine compared to the non-Abarth Stilos. It's not just styling, it is engine too... in true Abarth fashion of years ago.

Just because a Ford isn't built in the US, doesn't mean it's not a Ford... it's still going to leak oil :p

:yeahthat: @ Hellcat just because it wasn't made at the abarth factory, the reason is there isn't an abarth factory. BTW Fiat own the name so AFAIAC it's an abarth, like an ST170 or renault sport172 or anything else of this genre, it is only a trim level but it's also denotes a more powerful engine( in the stilo anyway!) (y)

Ben R said:
:yeahthat: @ Hellcat just because it wasn't made at the abarth factory, the reason is there isn't an abarth factory. BTW Fiat own the name so AFAIAC it's an abarth, like an ST170 or renault sport172 or anything else of this genre, it is only a trim level but it's also denotes a more powerful engine( in the stilo anyway!) (y)

not that I'm picking points, but cosworth were the engine providers for tuned fords. So just like the focus RS isn't a cosworth neither is the Abarth a propper Abarth. Don't get your nickers in a twist... its not a slight towards you, its just you're 20 years too late for a propper fiat abarth.

OMG, not another Abarth thread/pole, you'll have people having kittens on here over it.

Anyway Abarth didn't just work on Fiats they worked on Lancia's, Simca's(French company that Renault eventually bought out and is no longer, Mmm sounds familiar. Middle Barton Garage had a Simca Abarth at Gaydon if anyone noticed next to thier real Abarth 500's) and BMW's and started off as an exhaust company to fund Carlo Abarths dreams of racing. You can still buy a genuine new/old stock Abarth exhausts for E30 series BMW's, there have been a few on eBay recently.

And the same engine in the Stilo Abarth is available in the Prestigo model, so it's not unique.

The last car off the now discontinued Abarth production line was the Strada Abarth 130TC, the last car the engineers worked on was the Lancia Delta integrale, most of the engineers that are still working now work for Astra Racing Italy where you can still but genuine Abarth items like carbon fibre drive shafts and titanium prop shafts for integrales.

I hope this thread doesn't deteriorate like previous ones, but it is a styling badge now, which I believe to be very unfortunate as Fiat have a a badge of great heritage and should use it for more extreme limited edition models that do offer performance advantages over the other models in the range.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
And the same engine in the Stilo Abarth is available in the Prestigo model, so it's not unique.
Which used to be the 5dr abarth & also there is no longer a 5dr prestigio!.

@ Alex I haven't got my knickers in twist( bit of a tosser sometimes aren't you? :mad: ) My point was fiat own abarth & the stilo abarth is the most powerful stilo yes?, therefore how can it not be a "proper" abarth? I'm f*cking sick & tired of people telling me my car is a fake! Or it's something it's not! Like all you lot know what you're on about! :bang:

Last edited:
I'm not going to enter in to any old arguments about specific models as all on here are pationate about their own cars but;

here is the complete Fiat Stilo range as quoted by Fiat (I lifted it from the Fiat UK site) and even they say the names relate to "trim" levels.

"You can choose between the Stilo 3-door Active, Active Air Con, Active Sport, Dynamic and Abarth trim levels, but whichever you choose, you'll be driving on the cutting edge."

or "In a world that moves at the speed of thought you need a car that can keep up. A car that celebrates and streamlines technology for real life; with chaacter that can drive you out of the ordinary.

If your idea of driving involves ground breaking advances and fresh thinking, then the singular, sporting Fiat Stilo 3-door is for you.
First Impressions of the Stilo 5-door are of solidity and quality; of a safe house for family and friends.

The Stilo 5-door is a revolution in space. The cabin is also raised for maximum visibility."

Fiat Stilo Model Variants Cubic Capacity Brake Horse Power £ OTR Price
Fiat Stilo 1.4 16v Active 3dr 1368cc 95 bhp £10,095
Fiat Stilo 1.4 16v Active AirCon 3dr 1368cc 95 bhp £10,495
Fiat Stilo 1.4 16v Active 5dr 1368cc 95 bhp £10,695
Fiat Stilo 1.4 16v Active AirCon 5dr 1368cc 95 bhp £11,095
Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v Active Sport 3dr 1596cc 103 bhp £11,495
Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v Dynamic 3dr 1596cc 103 bhp £11,895
Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Active AirCon 5dr 1910cc 115 bhp £12,395
Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v Dynamic 5dr 1596cc 103 bhp £12,495
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v Dynamic 3dr 1747cc 133 bhp £12,495
Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Dynamic 3dr 1910cc 115 bhp £12,895
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v Dynamic 5dr 1747cc 133 bhp £13,095
Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Dynamic 5dr 1910cc 115 bhp £13,495
Fiat Stilo 2.4 20v Abarth 3dr 2446cc 170 bhp £14,345
Fiat Stilo 2.4 20v Prestigio 5dr 2446cc 170 bhp £14,495
Fiat Stilo 2.4 20v Prestigio Selespeed 5dr 2446cc 170 bhp £15,995
Fiat Stilo 2.4 20v Selespeed Abarth 3dr 2446cc 170 bhp £16,195

Thing I find strange about the Fiat prices is the Prestigo without Selespeed is £100 more than the Abarth, but with Selespeed the Prestigo is £200 cheaper, go figure that one out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back