General Which winter tyres are people going for

Currently reading:
General Which winter tyres are people going for

No I'm not arguing the science, I'm just saying i personally wouldn't bother with winter tyres (if such a thing exists) we're not rally drivers after all and our casual climate is hardly "extreme". Here's the frozen sea/river (meet you half way, it's the estuary) and the Panda in the snow.
They most certainly do exist!!!!

http://mytyres.co.uk/Winter_Tyres.html

As I said the reason why the Panda handled the snow so well will be because of the skinny tyres. Take your Abarth up a similar road this year and you WILL be stuck.

You're arguing against the science and facts again :) How many times do people have to explain that winter tyres are not all about coping with snow and ice, but temperatures which are below 7 degrees. When you start getting to below 2 or 3 then summer tyres are rock hard and hardly grip at all.

They most certainly do exist!!!!

http://mytyres.co.uk/Winter_Tyres.html

As I said the reason why the Panda handled the snow so well will be because of the skinny tyres. Take your Abarth up a similar road this year and you WILL be stuck.

You're arguing against the science and facts again :) How many times do people have to explain that winter tyres are not all about coping with snow and ice, but temperatures which are below 7 degrees. When you start getting to below 2 or 3 then summer tyres are rock hard and hardly grip at all.

just give up some people just won't be told:rolleyes:

keep your eyes open in Welsh scrapyards for a lightly rolled 500 Abarth this winter...

just give up some people just won't be told:rolleyes:

keep your eyes open in Welsh scrapyards for a lightly rolled 500 Abarth this winter...
Actually i nearly flipped it the other day on a jump, but don't tell maxi, he hates anybody that does over 30 MPH, or tries to enjoy themselves in their cars :rolleyes: kind of weird how he tracks absolutely everything i type on the forum, then at any opportunity, quotes and tries to mock me?! Weird or what, forum stalker defined. Do you fancy me maxi? It's nice to know that you are amused by others lack of knowledge, after all, if it didn't come from you, it's all bull**** right? I must stick a post it note on the screen "306maxi knows EVERYTHING"
:whogives:

Actually i nearly flipped it the other day on a jump, but don't tell maxi, he hates anybody that does over 30 MPH, or tries to enjoy themselves in their cars :rolleyes: kind of weird how he tracks absolutely everything i type on the forum, then at any opportunity, quotes and tries to mock me?! Weird or what, forum stalker defined. Do you fancy me maxi? It's nice to know that you are amused by others lack of knowledge, after all, if it didn't come from you, it's all bull**** right? I must stick a post it note on the screen "306maxi knows EVERYTHING"
:whogives:
I'll stick a post it note on the screen saying "DraigFlag87 is too pigheaded or proud to ever admit he's wrong" :) Would save a lot of time.

I've nothing against people enjoying their cars and I speed myself but only when the conditions allow for it.

I'll stick a post it note on the screen saying "DraigFlag87 is too pigheaded or proud to ever admit he's wrong" :) Would save a lot of time.

I've nothing against people enjoying their cars and I speed myself but only when the conditions allow for it.
I'll admit when i'm wrong when i think i'm wrong, most of the crap on here is about opinion anyway, no right or wrong answer, simple as. Bit hypocritical to say that you speed too, considering what you wrote in other topics (I'm not gonna quote you like you do me)

I'll admit when i'm wrong when i think i'm wrong, most of the crap on here is about opinion anyway, no right or wrong answer, simple as. Bit hypocritical to say that you speed too, considering what you wrote in other topics (I'm not gonna quote you like you do me)
The difference is that I don't go fast around corners to the point where I lose grip. Other than when I drove my 406 on gravel back in 2007 I can count the number of times I've broken grip around a corner in the last 4 years on one hand maybe.

Once was on a roundabout in the morning in my 406 in the wet with mismatched tyres and power on oversteer because the rears were rubbish, next time was pulling into a big deserted hotel car park earlier this year in the Subaru and the car just understeered for a good 50 metres in deep snow, next was about 2 minutes later when I did some donuts and finally a couple of days later on a snowy gravel road it was all over the place and you had to give it a bit of wellie to push the nose in. At no stage was anyone else anywhere near me on those bits of road and at no stage was I doing over 20mph so the chance of any injury to anyone was at a rough guess 0.0%

Speed doesn't kill, it's idiots going too fast around corners who kill.... if you don't realise that then you're destined to have a short life. That's not me hoping you die or something, it's me simply telling you how it is.

I'll admit that quite often I'd get up to about 95 or so on the A55 when the weather was good and there was little or no traffic and I always made sure to pass other traffic at a reasonable speed differential because the last thing you want when you're doing 50 is for sometone to come past you doing 40 mile an our more......

People are just trying to help you have a long life and not trash your car, if that's such a horrible thing to do then call me Hitler or something, it makes little difference to me.

The difference is that I don't go fast around corners to the point where I lose grip. Other than when I drove my 406 on gravel back in 2007 I can count the number of times I've broken grip around a corner in the last 4 years on one hand maybe.

Once was on a roundabout in the morning in my 406 in the wet with mismatched tyres and power on oversteer because the rears were rubbish, next time was pulling into a big deserted hotel car park earlier this year in the Subaru and the car just understeered for a good 50 metres in deep snow, next was about 2 minutes later when I did some donuts and finally a couple of days later on a snowy gravel road it was all over the place and you had to give it a bit of wellie to push the nose in. At no stage was anyone else anywhere near me on those bits of road and at no stage was I doing over 20mph so the chance of any injury to anyone was at a rough guess 0.0%

Speed doesn't kill, it's idiots going too fast around corners who kill.... if you don't realise that then you're destined to have a short life. That's not me hoping you die or something, it's me simply telling you how it is.

I'll admit that quite often I'd get up to about 95 or so on the A55 when the weather was good and there was little or no traffic and I always made sure to pass other traffic at a reasonable speed differential because the last thing you want when you're doing 50 is for sometone to come past you doing 40 mile an our more......

People are just trying to help you have a long life and not trash your car, if that's such a horrible thing to do then call me Hitler or something, it makes little difference to me.
I really don't want to go here again, because it ended badly last time, but i thought i made it quite clear last time that i too ONLY enjoy my car when i feel it's safe to do so. You know as well as i do that it's tourist season in Wales, i always drive slowly and safely when there are other road users around, and i only overtake the tourists (doing 40 MPH usually) when i can see far enough ahead. I've lost count the number of times I've seen people overtake on double whites, blind bends etc, that's never me. On saying this, if you wait for the roads to become completely empty, you'd be waiting a very long time, there's always some risk for what you do and what others do.

Understeer is a frequent matter in the A500 but the driver aids take care of this safely, even when off, understeer is usually a self correcting skid and not risky compared to some maneuvers. The threat of oversteer in a SWB FWD car is minimal, not to say it doesn't happen at all, but again, it's easily controlled (especially as the ESP can't be turned off) but as i've already told you, most people use the local beaches/forest tracks to get the feel for the car before they start driving fast on the main roads, some reserve fast driving for the beaches and forests. I haven't sped in weeks and on this tank of fuel I've averaged 41.2 MPG for the past 200 miles, a good indicator how I've been driving maybe!?

I've never used winter tyres in my life, personally I don't think theres a need. I've never lost control in conditions below 7 degrees. I've been driving my FTO for 9 years, and it has pretty wide tyres on 18 inch rims.

If you feel the need to change, then kudos to you. Its not for me personally.

I have nvr used winter tyres either but I have driven an old Saab with the older skinny type of tyre and compared to my modern Saab with wide tread the handing on compacted snow and and slush was like chalk and cheese.

For the week a year where there is snow around me this doesnt warrant a new set of wheels or tyres I just get the bus, bus or failing that stay in bed but if i was in scotland or wales and had to drive I might consider it a better investment.

I'd rather buy new tyres for 1 day a year than use the bloody bus.

And much healthier to use your own car. Public transport must be one of the quickest methods of spreading colds viruses, flu, pig flu etc., be it a plane, train or steamed up bus in the winter. This never gets mentioned when the do gooders keep bleating on about how we should all use public transport and ditch our cars.

I'd rather buy new tyres for 1 day a year than use the bloody bus.

I have a bus at the bottom of my road every 10min and my work subsidises public transport. TBH I'd be fool to drive.! The car is for pleasure :D and nottingham will soon introduce work space parking tax and futher discourage driving and subsidise a tram.
Driving is getting harder and harder !

I only ever use the same tyres all year round - even the other half doesnt change his tyres on his Evo :p

Interesting part of that article for me was that in the 6 months when most people are NOT using the correct type of tyre (Winter and Autumn) a time with reduced light and generally less grip and less traffic jams, there are less than HALF of the total accidents in the year (48%).

Interesting part of that article for me was that in the 6 months when most people are NOT using the correct type of tyre (Winter and Autumn) a time with reduced light and generally less grip and less traffic jams, there are less than HALF of the total accidents in the year (48%).

well done for demonstrating how to split a hair:rolleyes:

6 months = half a year
48% = half, near as dammit

this thread proves why we have so many laws covering vehicle construction and use in the UK

unless people are forced to do something they won't, however logical and wise the option

interesting article here http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law

Quite true, back in Western Australia you don't have an MOT so in theory you can drive around in a complete ****box till the police pull you over or you have an accident and go to jail and a lot of people do drive around in absolute pieces of crap. Back in Australia my dad serviced my car and if there was anything obviously wrong like the tyres tread was low it got sorted but my dad probably wasn't as thorough as an MOT inspector.

This could be for a number of reasons. This could be the fact that most people will drive more safely in the winter when conditions are worse which is an argument I'd certainly subscribe to. Do you honestly think this is indeed proof that tyres somehow magically work better in winter than in summer?

As for the cost I really don't see it as a huge thing.

I'm going to buy 4 of these http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....by=preis_down&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi at £45 or so each and my rims were £35 so all up £215 for more grip for about a third of the year and if some snow comes along I don't need to be worrying about the slightest inclines. Also means my rims won't be pitted and corroded by the endless amounts of salt on the road and my more expensive summer tyres will last longer.

It's not so much about summer tyres being unsafe for the 4 months or so of colder temperatures, it's about winter tyres being safer for those 4 months. If that's so hard to understand then I fear Rob and I are fighting a losing battle :bang:

Back