which car?

• proton compact sprint

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • rover 216 SLI

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

CJ_CINQQY

Established member
I have decided to buy a new car,but am stuck inbetween the choice of 2.

The first is an 1998 rover 216 sli, its a nice car and interior is in mint condition but has done 77k miles,theres a small scuff on the front bumper but nothing major, however there is a small patch on the passenger door where the laquer has started to come off which i would want to get repared and its a 5door and not so keen on 5doors. it has 6months tax and 6months mot and will cost £800 plus £134 addition to my insurance.

the second is a 1999 V reg proton compact sprint 1.5l, its white and a 3 door, its done just under 70K miles, the exterior is in good condition,no dents,scratches etc but interior is a bit poor, rip in the seat and roof lining, also the car is going to cost £1100 and thats with an mot and 2 new tyres included but then it has no tax so will have to tax it and the insurance will cost the same as the rover.

i have driven both and my first impression was the proton just because it seemed quicker and was a 3door not a 5,however know i know the prices i dont know wether its worth the extra money or not over the rover.

Not Really No,IM buying the car from my fathers garage,that way i get them alot cheaper and they the only 2 cars he has in my price range that i like, the other one he has is a 1998 306 but i dont like it.

I can't remember what the Proton Compact is a copy of...

Misi Colt rings a bell, but so does Toyota Corolla

I know its a based on somthing Jap...

(a bit of help from Lotus will have made the car better than the Rover!)

Last edited:
the compact is a great car, very underestimated and nice to drive, i tried to make my GF get one a few years ago but she wanted a saxo instead, her mistake. noclu3 is correct it is a rebranded colt.

replacing a few bits of the interior is cheap and easy. scrapyard seat is £10-20 for example.

my only concern with a proton is availability of parts.

your dad is asking more for it than i would expect to pay even before you get a family discount, and even if it is an SEi. do a bit of research on autotrader, adtrader and ebay, then tell your dad off for trying to pull a fast one.

forget the 5 door rover, i can tell you'll never be happy with a 5 door hatch.

personally i think you should keep looking, if you've got a grand to spend there are plenty of better cars to be had.

how about a bravo 1.6HLX? something like this can be had for less than a grand http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-FIAT-BRA...oryZ9843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and here's another http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-FIAT-BRA...oryZ9843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Voted Proton... would have to pay me to take the Rover, just never known anybody get a head gasket fixed successfully on a K series lump. Had a mate whoose 1.5 Proton thrived on abuse and neglect though... them mitsi mechanicals sure am tough (y)

Yeah thinking about it so did i!

to be honest... that k is only going to have 25-30 thousand miles left in it... and hgf is always a poss,

Im a fan of K-engines as they are so easy to work on.. and to tune... but for a cost effective runabout.. its a no no.... i guarantee it will kick you in the kahuna's....

Our 216 coop blew a head at 18K.... should tell you something

Back