Which Broadband to chance to??

Currently reading:
Which Broadband to chance to??

Ok i need peoples views on this one i am in a stuck situation.

I signed up to Virgin media for the phone package and the broadband package now when the engineers come out to fit my wires etc they said to me that they cannot fit the services at this address as there is 40 meters or cable missing and they was not willing to replace it. Now i need a good broadband company for a good reliable fast stable " Unlimited " downloads package with the phone line because BT is just a rip off.

All comments will be welcome.

PS. ive also looked at Skys broadband and tested my land line and they said my max speed my line can hold is 3mb. which is total crap im not sure how true this is..

Check out on Sam Knows your line and who can supply you.

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
The following services are available in your location:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
BT Wholesale SDSL
AOL LLU
O2 / Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU
Tiscali TV (via Tiscali LLU)
Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)
Virgin Media (Cable)

but im unsure on which provide a good broadband service with unlimited downloads and the phone line.

Have a look at PlusNet. Maybe not the cheapest, but they do an unlimited package for £16 per month (in some areas, which might include you), plus £11 for home phone.
Been with them for a while, and the level of service is very good.

Phone Exchange:MERCURYEstimated line speed:3.5 Mb

Thats with PlusNet and im only getting 4mb at the moment which is crap for gaming etc..

i need a none BT line to run the internet through. and only one i can think of is virgin with there fiber optic cable but they have said they cannot install it at this house because of the missing underground cable. :bang::bang:

haha yeah AOHell

i was thinking of Sky but then again i do not want a TV package and you have to have 1 of them i think thats 1 of there ways of maxing there money from every customer.

so now im back to square one where do i go lol

Edit: i dont really want to pay more than £30 a month for a phone package and Unlimited boradband.

Last edited:
Tiscalli were rubbish for me, Was on 8mb package and was rare when it got up to 1mbs

Same here ive had them few years back now and they was doing the same to me capping my speed so i wasn't getting the correct speeds cant fault them for the phone line package though.

Just checked on Plusnet and they seem to have everything i need so i might just change my provider to them.. Is there any company out there where i can get just a phone line..

My motto for this would be getting a phone line from someone other than BT and then i could have 8mb speeds with BE unlimited

Last edited:
Avoid sky, worst broadband weve ever had.

Virgin is the best :D shame you cant have it we get nearly the whole 10 mb here.

OUr sky internet started out at around 6mb then 2 weeks later went to 2 and kept dropping really low to less than Dial speed.

everytime we found sky they got us to check the phone sockets etc even thoguh we know its not the problem. and sometimes when we phoned to say theres no connection they would do something on there end an suddenly we have internet!!! they even put the speed up slightly the one day! Also there call centres were not english.

Aol we left because they were giving us 200kbs out of 2mb and then when they reduced there prices they didnt tell us so we kept paying 30 quid for something that now cost only 10 pound with them.

Avoid sky, worst broadband weve ever had.

Virgin is the best :D shame you cant have it we get nearly the whole 10 mb here.

OUr sky internet started out at around 6mb then 2 weeks later went to 2 and kept dropping really low to less than Dial speed.

everytime we found sky they got us to check the phone sockets etc even thoguh we know its not the problem. and sometimes when we phoned to say theres no connection they would do something on there end an suddenly we have internet!!! they even put the speed up slightly the one day! Also there call centres were not english.

Aol we left because they were giving us 200kbs out of 2mb and then when they reduced there prices they didnt tell us so we kept paying 30 quid for something that now cost only 10 pound with them.

Yea its a shame about Virgin :( its a pitty that they will not put a new cable down because of the missing cable outside of my house to satisfy another customer but ahh well i know my story to tell people when they ask about virgin because i bet if this happened to a lot of customers they would be putting the cables correct and all in there places.

As for sky its a no no now then.

as for AoL i actually thought that provider would have been pretty good considering it was one of the very first broadband providers. Sounds like its gone down hill(n)

As for Tiscali well the name says it all they are a bit like sky for there services starts off super but then keep dropping there speeds less than dial up.(n)

I 2nd o2, although you would need to pay bt line rental.

have you heard of a phone line rental company called yourcalls.net they only charge £10.03 per month for the line rental and they do Unlimited anytime calls to local and national UK landlines for an extra £3.90 so thats good

PS anything to get me well away from BT

Aol was my first internet so we had them since dial up back in... 2000 i was 10 at the time as my screename was bertie101010. then went to broadband. I think carphone warehouse bought them and started offering its own internet which was really AOL. another reason we left aol was because we were using wireless before they were offering it as a package scam and suddenly 1 day our router could no longer share the internet and we had to use ethernet cables. Dont no if they did something to stop us using our own wireless? but it never worked with aol again.

My brother is on bt and thinks its really good. theyve given him a housephone... and this pda device that runs windows.

Sureley virgin just put in the cables for you? what are they doing when they have wires runnin all the way down the road to the boxes?

If youve had cable tv before then you will have the cables outside your house.

If your property is beyond the existing VM cabled area it can be very difficult to get an addition to services as the Planning / Construction guys are capped for spend, unless there is sufficient interest locally to earn VM a payback for investment, extension to networks is very expensive. If you do have an individual drop-cable to your property and the current build goes past your house, but that cable is damaged VM should replace it.

All totally depends on how many potential customers would take the service if new build is required.

i wud say 02/Be gd speed vs price and reliable plus free call centres in the UK (iirc) only had to ring them once...

Back