General Where can I get a cheap 175/50r14 tyre please?

Currently reading:
General Where can I get a cheap 175/50r14 tyre please?

Tara100

Hi

My little Sei failed its MOT yesterday due to one tyre having low tread. I will probably be selling the car soon, so I just want a cheap tyre put on it.

The cheapest I can get, is £51.00 for a budget tyre locally. Can anyone suggest any alternatives to save me some pennies please?

Many thanks

Camskill are listing the Sonars at 37 quid but no stock, no delivery date.

There's no choice (or quality, really) in the 175/50r14, whch is why people either go for 185/50/14 or sell the Abarth wheels to the fashionistas and get 6J and 195/45/14.

Such is life.

I'd be inclined to go for the £51 one.

Which 6J wheels? I've been looking for a year or two and not found. I'm not buying new ones. Would probably prefer 13" with taller tyres to cope with the appalling roads and the moguls they've fitted everywhere around here.

Used ones will be tricky!

Compos used to be a favourite till they went tits up. Team Dynamics ones are out there. 13" are fine for track use (if you can find some Uno Turbo calipers and disks and sort out the spacers) but there's not a lot of cheap performance road tyres out there.

Going to a higher profile tyre will screw up the handling and the gearing big time. I'd think that 45 will be just fine in the east end.

I did get hold of a part worn about two months ago for £25 fitted, and wish I'd got hold of another back then (though I didn't realise the dodgy one I now have was so low)

If my spare is ok (haven't looked recently) would it matter if I swapped it with the baldy one just to sell the car? (and inform the buyer obviously)

Used ones will be tricky!... but there's not a lot of cheap performance road tyres out there.
That's what I'm finding.

Going to a higher profile tyre will screw up the handling and the gearing big time. I'd think that 45 will be just fine in the east end.
A bit, 185 60 13 maybe not much more than the 185 50 14, maybe a bit less. And it might squash a few mm more.

I broke two wheels at the same time on a shallow pothole last year. Most of the wheels I have are a bit bent. Taller tyres are a way to mitigate or prevent that and it may be a better compromise. The car is far too hard for these terrible roads.

Last edited:
Hi

My little Sei failed its MOT yesterday due to one tyre having low tread. I will probably be selling the car soon, so I just want a cheap tyre put on it.

The cheapest I can get, is £51.00 for a budget tyre locally. Can anyone suggest any alternatives to save me some pennies please?

Many thanks

Don't sell it, anything you get after will be a disappointment. Other than that go to your local tyre place and ask for a second hand tyre. My guy does ones that look new for £20 fitted. Don't forget to smile nicely at the man ;)

Don't sell it, anything you get after will be a disappointment. Other than that go to your local tyre place and ask for a second hand tyre. My guy does ones that look new for £20 fitted. Don't forget to smile nicely at the man ;)

Hi Numptey

The car is definitely going to be put up for sale.

The p/w tyre I mentioned that I bought for £25 fitted was from a local tyre shop, but as the tyres are scarce, I can't get hold of another locally.
I'm hoping my spare can go on, as it will only cost £10 for the switch with a new valve and balancing. I'll know tomorrow afternoon.

Many thanks
Tara

if you intend to sell and you have a full size spare, just stick the spare on and leave the low tread one at home. You don't need a spare, its just has to be legal if you do have one.

So once you got your MOT you sorted, leave it for the new owner to get a new tyre

if people are going to sacrifice there safety and others by fitting dodgy tyres or fitting temp spares on then sorry but you should be aloud to own a car....it ticks me off that people will happily waste 100 quid on a pair of trainers but wont spend money on good tyres pitys sake what if your doing 60 on the motorway and the cheap part worn or spare tyre goes bang resulting in the car going out of control and god forbid a fatal accident.

Hi Numptey

The car is definitely going to be put up for sale.

The p/w tyre I mentioned that I bought for £25 fitted was from a local tyre shop, but as the tyres are scarce, I can't get hold of another locally.
I'm hoping my spare can go on, as it will only cost £10 for the switch with a new valve and balancing. I'll know tomorrow afternoon.

Many thanks
Tara

The spare maybe a space saver not a real tyre, mine was and that had never been used from new so it came with the car. I had no trouble getting a cheap tyre, try a few places. My local one is open on Sundays as they follow a different religion which is great for me and they are such nice decent guys, helpful, polite and honest. I never get my tyres anywhere else. Perhaps a local breakers will have a matching wheel and if you do your smiley thing they may fit it for you. Us men can't resist a smiley lady cause were all stupid ;)

Last edited:
if people are going to sacrifice there safety and others by fitting dodgy tyres or fitting temp spares on then sorry but you should be aloud to own a car....it ticks me off that people will happily waste 100 quid on a pair of trainers but wont spend money on good tyres pitys sake what if your doing 60 on the motorway and the cheap part worn or spare tyre goes bang resulting in the car going out of control and god forbid a fatal accident.

There's no need to say sorry for stating I should not be aloud (I believe you meant 'allowed') to own a car.
Don't be 'ticked off' either.
SMILE and be happy instead.

p.s
There's no £100 quid trainers in my house :p

The spare maybe a space saver not a real tyre, mine was and that had never been used from new so it came with the car.

Hi

I'm booked in at 3pm today with ATS. I told them the story yesterday, and they said they will fully check the spare.

Thanks
Tara

That's a bit unfair and judgemental, who said anything about fitting dodgy tyres and how do you know what's she spends on trainers are you peeking through her curtains (if she has curtains). I personally only get really good, checked tyres and I only have 1 pair of going out shoes, 1 pair of trainers and my work boots. None of which are very expensive. I can't afford named jeans or posh shirts but it doesn't mean I aim to kill my children or other road users. I suppose you check your tyres everyday all round to ensure you haven't driven over a nail and you are out sweeping the motorway of all the debris. You must also be that person doing 10 mph down residential streets and taking all those extra driving courses just in case.

That's a bit unfair and judgemental, who said anything about fitting dodgy tyres and how do you know what's she spends on trainers are you peeking through her curtains (if she has curtains). I personally only get really good, checked tyres and I only have 1 pair of going out shoes, 1 pair of trainers and my work boots. None of which are very expensive. I can't afford named jeans or posh shirts but it doesn't mean I aim to kill my children or other road users. I suppose you check your tyres everyday all round to ensure you haven't driven over a nail and you are out sweeping the motorway of all the debris. You must also be that person doing 10 mph down residential streets and taking all those extra driving courses just in case.

Numpty, that's too funny
biggrin.gif

Back