When are you putting your winter wheels back on?

Currently reading:
When are you putting your winter wheels back on?

When are you going to fit your winter tyres

• i've already fitted mine

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • i didnt swap over during the summer

• End of the month (sept 2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere in October

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Somewhere in September

• Somewhere in Novemeber

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Soon as it snows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soon as the temperature drops below 7deg C regulary

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Im not going to bother this year

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Awaiting deliveries and mounting

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Ill just be running my summer tyres again :) they were perfect in the snow last year

Good enough, perfect I'd dispute.

Is there any reason I can't just use my OEM alloys with the correct profile winter tyres, and then have my existing summer tyres refitted ~March ?

In the long run a set of steel wheels will be cheaper as you'll be paying about £80 a year in tyre changes (£10 a wheel a time on average).

Insurance companies should see it as a reduced risk. You are making the effort to use winter tyres, so any suitable wheel should be ok. Hopefully you'll speak to someone who understands.

No UK based stats to back it up in insurance terms yet though unfortunatly.

In the long run a set of steel wheels will be cheaper as you'll be paying about £80 a year in tyre changes (£10 a wheel a time on average).

I'm sure I can find a cheap tyre fitter somewhere round here... but I had thought of that. In the back of my head, i'm thinking am I going to keep this car much more than another 18 months - 2 years? Probably not.

Is my next car going to be a Punto? Possibly, possibly not.

I'll see what my insurers say, but I think I'll just stick with my alloys and have the tyres swapped over.

Indeed, which takes me back to my original question/point. As there doesn't seem to be any technical reason that I can't just have them put on my factory fitted alloys, then have them swapped back ~March.... I'll just do that.

(y)

how much extra did they say it will be for the modification to steel wheels?

cheapest place around here charges £10 a wheel to swap your own tyres, evey time its done it will need rebalancing, best is you end up with loads of old black stuff from stick on weights, worst is they use bash on weights and damage wheels.

i think they have got it wrong though as you can fit a spare steel wheel and don't have to tell insurance as its temporary, so all you are doing is fitting 4 spare wheels temporary over winter.

Last edited:
I agree, it's nonsensical. They wouldn't quote for it. They have a list of 'mods' they'll quote for - everything from uprated alloys, induction kits, remapping & engine chipping, even a 'streetfighter bodykit' - but not steel wheels (lol !), so you get "Sorry, we can't quote you for this" when you try to get a quote.

My tongue, firmly, in cheek reply to them was:

"If I'm honest, I don't understand why adding steel wheels is classed as a modification, surely, it's a lower risk for you guys ? My factory fitted alloy wheels are much more expensive than OEM steel wheels... so wouldn't this actually be classed as a downgrade, which should actually result in a part-refund of premium ?"

:D

"If I'm honest, I don't understand why adding steel wheels is classed as a modification, surely, it's a lower risk for you guys ? My factory fitted alloy wheels are much more expensive than OEM steel wheels... so wouldn't this actually be classed as a downgrade, which should actually result in a part-refund of premium ?"

But from that it is obvious that you've little knowledge into insurance risk calculation and pricing in fairness.

QMH is cheap for 2 reasons, one is its online only, a two is you're only allowed mods if on a pre-decided list.

But from that it is obvious that you've little knowledge into insurance risk calculation and pricing in fairness.

I studied risk management at uni, so I do understand risk calculation and pricing. Hence:

My tongue, firmly, in cheek reply

QMH is cheap for 2 reasons, one is its online only, a two is you're only allowed mods if on a pre-decided list.

Agreed, to a point. Their policy is (almost) word for word identical to the standard Aviva policy... so i would have thought it safe to assume their 'terms' would be identical.

They can offer 'cheap' premiums as they will generally only insure 'safe' drivers, i.e. no convictions, with NCB, not driving a pocket rocket, etc.

Last edited:
Looks like next time insurance is up for renewal - its time you swap to somebody who doesn't rape you of your money

Insurance companies dont see it like we do
Winter tyres = better grip = i can stop quicker and steer better when its called upon

They see
Winter tyres = Drives faster due to the magical super powers they provide = crash = claim

Its upgrading brakes
They assume your going to drive faster because you can stop quicker....

Ziggy

Nah, they were almost half the price of my previous Aviva policy, and ~£200 cheaper than the nearest quote. I can live with their nuances for that.

They have no problem with changing to winter tyres, just the wheels. But I'm happy to have them put onto my alloys anyway.

Meh :devil: I rarely use my car in the winter, I only use it if I really must use it other than that it sits on the drive like a snow globe :D (when it snows of course!) but I think this time I'm gonna buy a car cover as I hate those mornings getting the damn ice of the windscreen:bang:

Has anyone haed of / tried Duxback ? Similar to RainX, and supposedly stops ice/frost from sticking - it still forms, but just wipes off.

http://www.duxback.co.uk :confused:

Here's a thought, has anyone tried putting winter tyres just on the front? Is this an adequate compromise, saving the cost of tyres, or does it result in the rear end trying to slide around too often? (Floodgates now open...)

Might not make a difference in deep snow, however on normal cold road surfaces it could lead to the rear end trying to over take the front in certain conditions. Its for this reason I'd only use all 4 as winters, and always put new rubber on the rear if only a pair of tyres being replaced. :)

Indeed

Agreed, to a point. Their policy is (almost) word for word identical to the standard Aviva policy... so i would have thought it safe to assume their 'terms' would be identical.

Individual limits are not as good, especially on their home policies.

Insurance companies dont see it like we do
Winter tyres = better grip = i can stop quicker and steer better when its called upon

They see
Winter tyres = Drives faster due to the magical super powers they provide = crash = claim

Nope, as winter tyres are not a modification, its different wheels that are ;)

Back