Technical Wheel bearing change - ABS fault

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel bearing change - ABS fault

jjjdup

Hi

Just had the front right wheel bearing replaced and the garage called me saying the ABS warning/failure comes on

why now after bearing change ?

He is talking about changing the sensor.

How much should I pay to have this done.

Pleezz help :confused:

I think the ABS warning/failure will go off by it's self after the car is driven for a while.

Happend to me after a wheel dyno test

Thanks

Waiting for them to get back to me.

The way the mechanic spoke was if he was going to charge me for a new sensor.

Sounds like I should just refuse to pay to have this sorted.

Yes; just point him back to this Forum if there's any argument.

It has come up a few times before and it's clear that changing a Stilo wheel bearing is quite a tricky job for the reasons given.

My mechanic wants to change the ABS sensor.

After I have done some more reading in other posts it seems more likely that the problem is with the bearing, perhaps wrong way around or damaged when installing ?

All was fine untill the work was carried out

Update...

The wheel bearing has an integrated ABS ring. You have to use a magnet detector (usually an own tool) to decide which side of the bearing that is mounted towards the sensor.

Morten.

Out of interest...

How much does the ABS sensor cost and how much labour is involved in replacing one ?

Thanks.

had to have both bearing on our 1.2 changed and the ABS sensor - had to be changed as well... yes the bearing have sensors in them but if they were machine pressed in you shouldnt have a problem. If the abs ring was damaged by the hitting the bearing on with a mallet the bearing would be likely to be damaged aswell.

The abs sensor was only around £25.. easy to change yourself too!

RESULT(y)

The mechanic said the new wheel bearing was faulty ( I think he damaged it )
He has put another one in and ABS problem has gone !

Looking forward to get my wheels back.

Also, there was a lot of ratteling from the front. Having the anti roll bar links replaced.

Will post later to confirm if that was the problem.

Back