Whats the worst that can happen?

Currently reading:
Whats the worst that can happen?

im gonna get slated for this :rolleyes:

i see nothing wrong with 90 in a 50 zone - DEPENDING on the road and the conditions.

Eg. wigton bypass (near where i live) has had a 50 limit put on it recently. Now its a wide open road, long, and straight. i would be comfortable doing 120 on it (and have been in cars doing that speed as well)

i know that the law is there for a reason, and i hate stupid driving as much as the next person.

but a ban for doing 90 in a 50? pfft. stupid IMO.

should get 3 points and a £60 fine, cos it isnt 2x the limit... or has the law changed recently :confused:

i see nothing wrong with 90 in a 50 zone - DEPENDING on the road and the conditions.

Eg. wigton bypass (near where i live) has had a 50 limit put on it recently. Now its a wide open road, long, and straight. i would be comfortable doing 120 on it (and have been in cars doing that speed as well)

i know that the law is there for a reason, and i hate stupid driving as much as the next person.

should get 3 points and a £60 fine, cos it isnt 2x the limit... or has the law changed recently :confused:

I was thinking about Wigton bypass actually as I rarely stick to the current limit - but I don't go mad. Because it's fine until some blind or thick git pulls out without looking, which has happened to me on occasion (and thanks to them the speed limit has been reduced from 60 to 50 :mad:). If we could get them off the roads, the world would be a much safer place for all of us :(

i know, the limit was changed because of a few bad accidents at the junctions along that road, that have claimed a good few lives :(
People simply pulling out. AFAIK excess speed was not a factor for at least 3 of the accidents...

in fact, i regret saying what i said in the above post, because as soon as you think of accidents, you automatically take your foot off the go-pedal :(

i stick to the 50 limit mostly, and i dont think ive ever gone crazy on that stretch, id rather keep my licence. Just that ive been a passenger in some fast cars along that road.

Last edited:
live by the sword, die by the sword

Caught doing 90 in a 50 thought at end of day he thought he could get away with it. Dont buy the 90mph for two seconds, think thats a load of tosh

Shouldnt have a liscence IMO, maybe a short ban will change the ways.

No sympathy sorry

i know, the limit was changed because of a few bad accidents at the junctions along that road, that have claimed a good few lives :(
People simply pulling out. AFAIK excess speed was not a factor for at least 3 of the accidents...

in fact, i regret saying what i said in the above post, because as soon as you think of accidents, you automatically take your foot off the go-pedal :(

i stick to the 50 limit mostly, and i dont think ive ever gone crazy on that stretch, id rather keep my licence. Just that ive been a passenger in some fast cars along that road.
Sorry, don't want to slow you down toooooooooo much :eek:

Court- maximum fine of £2,500, 9 points and 3 months ban is the maximum sentence.

TBH i hope he gets it, regardless of how empty the road was, or how good he is at driving.

Court- maximum fine of £2,500, 9 points and 3 months ban is the maximum sentence.
Where did you get that load of rubbish from?

maximum fine for speeding is level 3 - which at the moment is £1000
maximum number of points for a single speeding offence is 6
a ban for speeding can be of any length - including a life ban.

For 90 in a 50 the court will be considering a ban in the region of 4 to 6 weeks. If he can show that a ban would cause exceptional hardship they can reduce the ban or just give 6 points. Any fine will be related to ability to pay and will start from about one weeks pay. That could go up or down according to individual circumstances.
there will also be court costs and a victim surcharge which will add about another £50-60

All it takes is one numpty and your safe speeding becomes your undoing.

I had a lorry pull out of a layby ahead of me onto a dual carriageway.. I moved over a lane... then the lorry turned across my lane and did a U-turn onto the opposite carriageway. Glad I was far enough behind and concentrating or I'd have been driving a Bravo cabriolet - possibly minus my head.

Where did you get that load of rubbish from?

maximum fine for speeding is level 3 - which at the moment is £1000
maximum number of points for a single speeding offence is 6
a ban for speeding can be of any length - including a life ban.

For 90 in a 50 the court will be considering a ban in the region of 4 to 6 weeks. If he can show that a ban would cause exceptional hardship they can reduce the ban or just give 6 points. Any fine will be related to ability to pay and will start from about one weeks pay. That could go up or down according to individual circumstances.
there will also be court costs and a victim surcharge which will add about another £50-60

Apologies- it seems the fine structure has changed since i was prosecuted. (y)

Fine is £1000, with 6 points and a maximum 56 day ban- unless prosecuted for dangerous driving,

http://www.ukspeeding.co.uk/SpeedFines.htm

those figures haven't changed in the last 8 or 9 years. The 56 day ban is what is recommended as a starting point for that kind of offence. Courts can ban for any period they feel is justified for any offence which carries points.

I have no idea what the wigton bypass is like but consider...
You are doing 90, some other guy is doing 48.
He wants to overtake something, checks his rear view mirror & sees you in the distance.
He assumes you are also doing 48/50 so assumes it is safe to pull out.
You are going almost twice as fast as him.
By the time he's checked his mirror & then looked back at whatever he wants to overtake & starts to pull out, you're going to be almost on him, stomping on your brakes & cursing the day his parents ever got it on.
Maybe there are junctions where people can pull onto this road. Again, you are doing 90 in the distance.
Let's assume the person joining has a 0 - 60 of 8 seconds - but doesn't thrash the engine as he knows you're not doing more than 50 & he can get there soon.
Once again, you're going to be sniffing his exhaust before he hits 40.
Just because the road is long and straight, you can never assume it's ripe for speeding.

I have no idea what the wigton bypass is like but consider...
You are doing 90, some other guy is doing 48.
He wants to overtake something, checks his rear view mirror & sees you in the distance.
He assumes you are also doing 48/50 so assumes it is safe to pull out.
You are going almost twice as fast as him.
By the time he's checked his mirror & then looked back at whatever he wants to overtake & starts to pull out, you're going to be almost on him, stomping on your brakes & cursing the day his parents ever got it on.
Maybe there are junctions where people can pull onto this road. Again, you are doing 90 in the distance.
Let's assume the person joining has a 0 - 60 of 8 seconds - but doesn't thrash the engine as he knows you're not doing more than 50 & he can get there soon.
Once again, you're going to be sniffing his exhaust before he hits 40.
Just because the road is long and straight, you can never assume it's ripe for speeding.

One should always check over one's shoulder momentarily before changing lanes or overtaking - I learned that one because I failed my first driving test for not doing so. And anyone pulling out should be checking properly to judge speed and distance, not just a cursory glance. It's the thick bunch that don't bother with such simple things that cause problems for everyone else (n)

It's the thick bunch that don't bother with such simple things that cause problems for everyone else (n)

The big problem is people pulling out *expect* approaching traffic to be doing the speed limit and even with a mirror and blind spot check (which is really just a snapshot of the positions of cars) this assumption can often be their undoing, especially with people approaching at twice the speed limit. Unfortunately in these instances two wrongs often make a big mess :(

I'm going to suggest that 90mph in a 50mph zone is not necessarily dangerous, but I will say that if he failed to spot a police car while he was doing that speed, then there's going to be a lot of other things he will have failed to see which does make him dangerous. Few month ban and fine would be my guess.

Chris

I agree, the reason for having wing mirrors is so you can look behind AND ahead at the same time.
But try being a pedestrian & stand close to the kerb whilst traffic whizzes past at speed.
Look at how soon the cars in the distance reach you - that's the same effect as when you are doing 90 in a 50 zone.

I see the same sort of thing all too often on motorways, cars overtaking in the outside, doing 80-odd & some cretin sat on his bumper honking his horn & flashing his headlights because he's had to brake sharply from 100+

I agree, the reason for having wing mirrors is so you can look behind AND ahead at the same time.

Blind spot?

Edit - I always assume any other traffic is doing the speed I'd LIKE to be doing on any particular stretch, probably leads to my being overcautious but I am not brilliant at judging so if I hesitate, I don't go. Why can't more people do that? Do they drive in a haze?

Last edited:
if he failed to spot a police car while he was doing that speed, then there's going to be a lot of other things he will have failed to see which does make him dangerous. Few month ban and fine would be my guess.

Chris
:D

Stopping distance at 90mph is 495ft
atopping distance at 50mph is 175ft
Average football pitch - 120 yards / 360ft

The distance is based on all things being perfect - weather, road surface, sharp reactions, perfect tyres, ABS etc etc.

Blind spot?
quote]

Convex mirror. As I look in my mirror, I can only just see the edge of my bodywork, the mirror will show me the width of the lane next to me & by the time a car vanishes from the mirror, it's already within my sight.
The downside is that cars look nearer - although that is a good thing because then I can't assume it's safe to pull out.
Sadly, many modern cars have fiddly miniscule mirrors all for the sake of appearance but look at lorries, coaches & the like - mirrors everywhere.

The distance is based on all things being perfect - weather, road surface, sharp reactions, perfect tyres, ABS etc etc.

And that you're driving a car from the 1960's ;) However, numbers aside, it's a good point that the stopping distance will be a smidge under 3x that compared to a 50mph stop, so his impact speed will be around 70mph (if my maths is correct) when a car doing 50mph would have a speed of 0mph.

Chris

Back