General whats that service?

Currently reading:
General whats that service?

danielzieba

hi all.

my car is '56 plate 1.2 8V 25000 miles.

I have had it serviced twice at FIAT and last year (december 2010) i did a serice myself

(oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs)

i couldnt afford to take it to a garage as one of the suspension bearings failed and was clunking which cost £80...anyway...

in 2011 im going to hit 30k miles so i was thinking of having the cam belt replaced.

iwhat needs to be replaced with it? ive read the water pump needs repalcing?

can someone list what needs repalcing at the same time as the cam belt? i will be takign it to an independant garage rather than a FIAT dealer.

thanks for your assistance.

daniel

I just had the timing belt replaced last month, along with the water pump and Engine Coolant. 56 reg 1.9 JTD. £250 all in.

expensive job isnt it!

i will probably do the oil/plus/filer changes myseld and just let the garage do timing belt and water pump etc.

do garages get parts cheaper than i can on S4P?

Last edited:
It might not be quite as much as £400 to do the belt change on a 1.2, as it's less awkward than on some of the bigger engines - more space to work under the bonnet = less labour time trying to get to difficult bits & pieces.

I would've thought the max a dealer could charge would be £300 on that engine, and ideally less, even including waterpump. Not sure if waterpump is necessary on the 1.2 engine though, i thought it was more a diesel engine thing. Perhaps someone in the know could clarify?

The belt can wear with age aswell as mileage so changing that is wise, though with such low mileage you'd hope the waterpump would still have some life left in it.

Back