What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Sounds like "jobs a gud un". The only thing I do after fitting and checking for leaks is comeback the next day and recheck as by then the water pressure has sometimes built up causing a drip.
I recently had to buy a new washing machine and was messed around by local suppliers having the wrong details of the machine on their website, so bought a British made one by EBAC and so far very impressed with it.:)
Just did the leak tests and all looking A1!

often thought of one of these for the workshop - just never got round to it.
They are sometimes useful. I use mine most agressively to clean out the pond of all the sludge it accumulates, so I can attest they can work well. Mine is a draper and really a cheap one. It has the benefit of a power tool sensing socket on board, to which you can plug say a sander or saw. The vac operates as you switch the power tool on and stops as you release the trigger.. I have used mine to do the exact job you describe. My stop cock is 4 feet below my garage floor and is leaking, has been for years. We have another stop cock in the house and I cant get in to photograph it! Previous occupants build a dummy wall in front of it. I have to crawl under the shelves in the airing cupboard and reach between the two walls into a 6" gap.. Thankfully so far it has not caused problems. I really need to cut a hole in that wall and install an access door or panel. Ive been deferring for 35 years on that one! We need a new water supply from the road to teh house and that is 25 yards so thats on hold too. I think it would be easier to move!

by 04, the saab was just a vauxhall vectra, newer ugly one, not the nicer one.
Prey, which do you describe as nice....

I had both and do 100K in both. The first was just a business tool. It di what it needed to it was OK and had suppostive seats but boring doesnt even get there. The last Vectra I had was the 2.0D. I had 6 points on my license and wanted something slow. I actually liked that one, it did everyting better than I hoped and wnet at leat 30K between service lights shining. Always had something in reserve and it saved my bacon at least once late on a Friday night. I ordered it with a sun roof and when it turned up that must have been included in a pack, as it had heated seats and headlamp washers and fog lights not normally supplied on the base model. It makes you wonder why all high milage business cars dont get these items. Headlight wshers were a real safety plus. You could never say it had much charcter though and I certainly didnt love it. I thought the 9 3 was based on the original, but heavily modified. 9 3s surely predate the new Vectra. I do agree the 9 3 didnt gain much from its base platform and I didnt like it much either.

By recent standards, the vectra B was nice compared to the later models and other family cars of the same age

Prey, which do you describe as nice....

I had both and do 100K in both. The first was just a business tool. It di what it needed to it was OK and had suppostive seats but boring doesnt even get there. The last Vectra I had was the 2.0D. I had 6 points on my license and wanted something slow. I actually liked that one, it did everyting better than I hoped and wnet at leat 30K between service lights shining. Always had something in reserve and it saved my bacon at least once late on a Friday night. I ordered it with a sun roof and when it turned up that must have been included in a pack, as it had heated seats and headlamp washers and fog lights not normally supplied on the base model. It makes you wonder why all high milage business cars dont get these items. Headlight wshers were a real safety plus. You could never say it had much charcter though and I certainly didnt love it. I thought the 9 3 was based on the original, but heavily modified. 9 3s surely predate the new Vectra. I do agree the 9 3 didnt gain much from its base platform and I didnt like it much either.
The Saab 900 then the 9-3 based on the same design both came from the older Vectra platform that harked back to the cavalier.

The vectra got updated to a new platform after 2002, the Saab 9-3 updated to the same platform as the new vectra a year later in 2003, so all the Saab 9-3s were based on the same platforms as vectra of the same period

Even the SAAB 9-5 was based on the same platforms and I presume so was the Fiat Croma which was basically a Saab 9-3 estate with a Fiat badge

By recent standards, the vectra B was nice compared to the later models and other family cars of the same age
You may of course be right. But I cannot comment and tkae this "under advisement"

I was asked to take on a Vectra B but refused on teh basis that its former user was a slob and the entire interior needed steam cleaning doe to (i hope) pie stains.

I have to cough to having 2....
I have the one I had at the old place for the big garage. There was a huge 40 gallon unit with a 4” hose in the basement here when we moved in. That one is plumbed directly to my table saw. I bought a 20 gallon Rigid Wet/Dry vac when a pipe split and drenched the finished side of the basement. Neither of the other units had the attachments needed to suck up water from the carpeting.

Oh dear, so many people and memories from my younger days now all going. I remember that song just so well. What really gets me right there is when I hear the Mamas and the Papas, especially "California Dreaming". This group was one of Mrs J's all time favourites and would often be playing on our 8 track - yes, I "invested" in an 8 track player and home stereo unit just before cassettes became dominant, Doh! This song came out when Mrs J and I decided we would get married and always makes me feel just so good!

Still got the 8 track unit which is now in my garage, tuned mostly to radio 4 as there's not much modern stuff I would want to listen to:

P1110748.JPG

The bit of paper tucked under it is actually the original owner's manual, an A4 sheet folded in half and printed on both sides:

P1110746.JPG

On the back is a detailed circuit diagram!

P1110747.JPG

I suppose all the solid state and "chip" stuff used today would make something like this pointless and redundant.

Oh, man, 8 tracks. My first one was Don Mcleans' "American Pie". If I recall, the unit in my 67 AMC Ambassador munched it. We had a Sanyo 8 track with AM-FM and a CD4 turn table(remember that short lived tech). All my 8 tracks went the way of the Dodo, though I still have a plethora of cassettes and vinyl and ways to play them.
The first thing I do after turning on the lights in the garage is turn on the tunes.

There will always be the ones that claim analog is better than digital, usually because they dont understand it well enough other than the usual facebook arguments.
I can play the Clash on vinyl, cd, iTunes, and cassette and the vinyl does sound richer. But all digital is ‘clear’ sound and, as an audiologist told us in H&S is that our hearing (and sight) is not that sophisticated that more modern audio-visual is generally lost on us. Talking about HD tv, and it’s advances, he noted that the screens are better because you can see the pictures from all angles and that it isn’t due to HD but the screen quality. Same with sound, have you ever noticed the sound is much richer on modern tvs, that’s due to preprogrammed algorithms and compensators. Our hearing also goes on a vector, so 1-10 isn’t 1+1, but 1+2 etc etc
Edit: that’s a very simplified explanation as each of us is different in eye n ear

Back