What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

A short time ago I reported that a car across the road had been clamped by DVLA.
I expected the owner to perhaps rescue it, by paying the fine, release fee, and back tax, but it appears not. Arriving home yesterday, there's an empty space in the street. Gone for crushing then.
Makes me sad to hear that.

We've all had cars at a point of needing repaired and think "you know what, I wouldn't be uhappy if it just disappeared"
Until you see it back on the road a few weeks later under different ownership.;)
I sold a Citroen C3 Pluriel after spending time and money fixing the convertible roof for considerably less than it stood me in, then 5 years later out walking one morning it passed me with it's happy owner.
I will say it was very low mileage and ran perfectly when I sold it, but due to the inheritant poor roof design I was never happy with it.

One of my first motorbikes a April 1984 Kawasaki Ar 125Lc (modified to 205cc, or what's left of it) is now forty years auld.
So, I'm rebuilding what's left into a Tax and Mot exempt vehicle.

Happie days and I'm going to manage to finish it. Hopefully by August (with the assistance of) sellers on eboo and other platforms. And forums. And Dave Silver.com

With much newer vehicles so easy for thieves with a tool in the OBD port etc. they probably turn their noses up at our old "much loved "classics":ROFLMAO:
Aye Mike, I'm giving serious thought to a steering wheel clamp for the new Scala. Having a bit of trouble finding one which can accommodate the steering wheel boss though, it's very prominent.

Aye Mike, I'm giving serious thought to a steering wheel clamp for the new Scala. Having a bit of trouble finding one which can accommodate the steering wheel boss though, it's very prominent.
Never mind that , just take the steering wheel with you.
Failing that an airbag under the drivers seat that shoots a 6 inch nail up their ar*e when they try to start it. Don't forget to disable when you start it though.;)

My golf is not keyless entry nor is it keyless starting. If your Scala is the same I wouldn't worry about it too much, far easier to take something that they can spoof the key from inside the house then program a new key to drive it away.

Always wanted to see the northern lights...to the point I nearly arranged a trip to Norway in the middle of winter to see them.

However standing out the back of the house..on a pleasantly warm night in may and..

1000012611.jpg

My golf is not keyless entry nor is it keyless starting. If your Scala is the same I wouldn't worry about it too much, far easier to take something that they can spoof the key from inside the house then program a new key to drive it away.
Good point Andy. Being based on the SE trim mine doesn't have keyless entry or starting I'm glad to say.:) What had started me thinking about this was a report I read about how you can buy programs which enable you to start cars using a laptop plugged into the OBD port. It occurs to me that this doesn't get round the door locks or physical steering wheel lock but thieves have been busting those for years on older vehicles.

I'm afraid that although I think I have a pretty fair idea of how stuff like oxygen sensors, MAP and MAF sensors, ABS and lots of other stuff which affects the running of the vehicle and have had a fair amount of success over the years sorting out problems with them, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to immobilisers etc. Changing key fob batteries when central locking fails is about my limit! :unsure:

Just received a couple of emails with photos attached featuring my oldest granddaughter - now 19, how can I be old enough to have a 19 year old granddaughter? - and her Mum (my daughter) in the gardens at Buckingham Palace for her Duke of Edinburgh award. Lots of impressive pictures of people all dressed up in "posh frocks", military bands under sun shades (luckily the weather was nice and sunny) and "selfies" of the two of them with the palace in the background. My daughter, like me, is very keen on her gardening and she's included several shots of the beautifully tended gardens too - Lovely stuff. My daughter also did the D of E award scheme but she received her award up here in Edinburgh at Holyrood Palace - from the Duke of Edinburgh himself, in person! However the big story of that event was that she first met her future husband at the evening ball on that same day.

And with that good news I'm off out into my garden to spend the day planting up my tubs and troughs with Geraniums, Petunias and Lobelia. Couldn't find anyone selling trailing Lobelia this year which is what I like round the edge of my hanging basket at the front door, but I can live with that disappointment, the petunias should spill over. If that goes well I'll also mow the lawn and take my hedge cutter to some of the shrubs which have become a little straggly. Hoping to have the time to take the hedge cutter to our elderly neighbour's shrubs too - I've been keeping them in shape for her for the last couple of years, ever since her husband was taken into care due to his age and infirmity. First "serious" days work I've done this year and it'll be interesting to see how my back takes it.

Always wanted to see the northern lights...to the point I nearly arranged a trip to Norway in the middle of winter to see them.

However standing out the back of the house..on a pleasantly warm night in may and..

View attachment 444824
I meant to look out for that last night but fell asleep! I see Edinburgh Live has pictures of it on their site this morning which looks pretty good. I believe it may be visible again tonight? Must try again tonight! A number of years ago we were lucky enough to see them at the North Cape in Norway - it would be nice to get the chance to compare.

What had started me thinking about this was a report I read about how you can buy programs which enable you to start cars using a laptop plugged into the OBD port.

While this is absolutely true..if memory serves there's quite a few things that make it an unlikely way to steal a car.

We have them at work (I've had one demonstrated at one point) and the hoops you have to jump through to have them is insane, the software is on a rolling license from VW, the laptop is kept in a safe in the van.

For full dealer diagnosis level software it would be cheaper to buy a Scala than the laptop and software licenses needed to steal one.

Obviously there may be cracked versions out there by now that do similar..but if you have the stuff it's probably more profitable to charge people 100 quid an hour to plug it in and chase spurious electrical faults.

Last edited:
Back