What Shocked You Today

Currently reading:
What Shocked You Today

What shocked me today ? The moss growing on this MOT’d and taxed Mitsubishi, owned by the guy who works in my local mini Tesco.
I’ve not posted a picture of the inside, as people may be eating 🤢

It did have a for sale sign in it for a while. Unsurprisingly, in its current state it didn’t sell …..
Strangely enough I have bought vehicles that looked far worse, but were fine underneath the dirt.
I once bought a Austin mini automatic that was offered to a garage where I was working and they turned it down @ £50! I bought it and when talking to the lady owner she told me her recently deceased husband always serviced it himself and painted the old engine oil all over and under the car, he also covered all the door seal rubbers with talcam powder, this all sounds very eccentric, but when I got it home and by the way it drove perfectly, I washed it down first with paraffin, then hot soapy water and finally polished it, underneath all the oil was a perfect little mini, which I later sold for a good profit after getting it a new Mot.:)

Strangely enough I have bought vehicles that looked far worse, but were fine underneath the dirt.
I once bought an Austin mini automatic that was offered to a garage where I was working and they turned it down @ £50! I bought it and when talking to the lady owner she told me her recently deceased husband always serviced it himself and painted the old engine oil all over and under the car, he also covered all the door seal rubbers with talcam powder, this all sounds very eccentric, but when I got it home and by the way it drove perfectly, I washed it down first with paraffin, then hot soapy water and finally polished it, underneath all the oil was a perfect little mini, which I later sold for a good profit after getting it a new Mot.:)

Years ago I bought a brown Viva, which once it had a t cut and wax - was actually orange with a white pinstripe.

Alfa Romeo have announced that the EU laws on pedestrian safety have put an end to the numberplate being mounted to one side as all alfas have had for years.

Apparently having the number plate to one side is somehow more dangerous…..
If pedestrians stayed on their footpath, the number plate location would be irrelevant. But sadly, no-one seems responsible to look after themselves any more, it is now others' responsibility to look after everyone else.
If I put my head in a lion's mouth, and get bitten, I can sue the lion.

If cars are so safe why do they have brakes and crush free internal zones???

Left me answer that simply, cars are not dangerous, as cars are not yet sentient .

But in the hands of humans and now robots, they are.

Just as they have always been, can make them as safe as you like.

A head on collision over fifty (really 90) Mph, whether you are in one or hit by another your chances of living are nil.

In a collision under forty, if your over fifty, your chances of dying by the roadsides do not diminish.

If pedestrians stayed on their footpath, the number plate location would be irrelevant. But sadly, no-one seems responsible to look after themselves any more, it is now others' responsibility to look after everyone else.
If I put my head in a lion's mouth, and get bitten, I can sue the lion.
On much the same subject I think it's well past time that something binding is done about controlling bicycles, particularly electric ones, and electric scooters. I want to say at the outset, that I'm not in any way anti bike, indeed I have one myself - an old rod brake "policeman's" bike - which I gently ride around the cycle paths and greatly enjoy the experience. However I'm very much against the increasing incidence of irresponsible, dangerous and lawless riding which I see pretty much every day. Edinburgh is awash with "fast food" delivery riders who seem to me to be by far the worst offenders. They seem to completely disregard normal rules of the road, often riding on the pavements and completely disregard traffic lights. They also ride inappropriately fast in areas where pedestrian density is great. Irresponsible riding in 20mph zones, by both electric and traditional type cycles is also common with riders overtaking on both the left and right side of moving and stationary traffic at far too great a speed - pedestrians being especially at risk from these riders. Electric bike riders seem to disregard traffic lights almost routinely. Manual bike riders seem more law abiding in this respect but there are still a noticeable number who just ride on through. And electric scooters being ridden at speed on pavements and in open paved pedestrianized areas - shopping precincts for instance - just don't get me started about them. I've twice now almost been knocked down by one chap in particular who has, several times, caught me unawares when I've been walking to the local library. On one occasion he rode so close to me, at considerable speed, that his handle bar snagged and pulled on my jacket - made him wobble, pity he didn't fall off! It's noticeable that many of these "hooligans" wear hoodie jackets and covid type face masks, thus making it impossible to identify then.

Surely the time has come for some sort of MOT type certificate of roadworthyness to be put in place and also some sort of visible individual identifier, equivalent to a vehicle number plate perhaps? so that these miscreants can be held to account. A basic requirement for some sort of 3rd party insurance should be mandatory too.

On much the same subject I think it's well past time that something binding is done about controlling bicycles, particularly electric ones, and electric scooters. I want to say at the outset, that I'm not in any way anti bike, indeed I have one myself - an old rod brake "policeman's" bike - which I gently ride around the cycle paths and greatly enjoy the experience. However I'm very much against the increasing incidence of irresponsible, dangerous and lawless riding which I see pretty much every day. Edinburgh is awash with "fast food" delivery riders who seem to me to be by far the worst offenders. They seem to completely disregard normal rules of the road, often riding on the pavements and completely disregard traffic lights. They also ride inappropriately fast in areas where pedestrian density is great. Irresponsible riding in 20mph zones, by both electric and traditional type cycles is also common with riders overtaking on both the left and right side of moving and stationary traffic at far too great a speed - pedestrians being especially at risk from these riders. Electric bike riders seem to disregard traffic lights almost routinely. Manual bike riders seem more law abiding in this respect but there are still a noticeable number who just ride on through. And electric scooters being ridden at speed on pavements and in open paved pedestrianized areas - shopping precincts for instance - just don't get me started about them. I've twice now almost been knocked down by one chap in particular who has, several times, caught me unawares when I've been walking to the local library. On one occasion he rode so close to me, at considerable speed, that his handle bar snagged and pulled on my jacket - made him wobble, pity he didn't fall off! It's noticeable that many of these "hooligans" wear hoodie jackets and covid type face masks, thus making it impossible to identify then.

Surely the time has come for some sort of MOT type certificate of roadworthyness to be put in place and also some sort of visible individual identifier, equivalent to a vehicle number plate perhaps? so that these miscreants can be held to account. A basic requirement for some sort of 3rd party insurance should be mandatory too.
No insurance and no accountability!
Maybe the OAP walking stick in the spokes trick?:):):)

I've suggested, many times, that cyclists over 14 years old should have insurance.
A visible insurance certificate, perhaps like the old car tax disc, so an easily visible expiry date, could be clipped onto the handlebars whenever the bike is ridden. One insurance could cover multiple bicycles, as it would be the rider that was inisured. Disc is unclipped and pocketed when parked.
Anyone riding without displaying the disc, gets stopped, and the bike confiscated. Taken away in a van, to a compound, like the cars, or the local police station. A receipt given, and instructions on collection, any time after 24 hours. With a fee to pay, like when a car is impounded. Also, cannot collect the bike without valid insurance. Bike held 2 weeks, then scrapped, or sold for charity.

All insurance put onto a national database. There's one for car insurance, so everything already in place. Any collision, note the insurance detail, for the claim.

Currently, traffic violations are not policed, as each would require the police officer to attend court to give evidence. With displayed insurance, police officer issues a fixed penalty ticket, and notes the policy number. Then details are added to the database, so next renewal, premium increases. Shopping around will not avoid the increase. Behaving, gets cheaper insurance, misbehaving increases costs. Insurance companies get more income, with low risk, so this is self-funding. Cyclists are encouraged to behave, or the consequences are cost and inconvenience. Stolen bikes could be easier to see, unless the thief gets himself insurance.

Left me answer that simply, cars are not dangerous, as cars are not yet sentient .
Hmmm, they are getting there and not far of being better than many people.

A head on collision over fifty (really 90) Mph, whether you are in one or hit by another your chances of living are nil.

In a collision under forty, if your over fifty, your chances of dying by the roadsides do not diminish.
??? In English please, google translate also said "wtf?"

Been in many accident, been in head collisions with a car (I was on a motorbike) got one of my first flying lessons that day.

Been hit at speed (over Fifty mph) by a car overtaking me as I turned just after a blind summat. Bent the 1993 Vauxhall Astra estate I was driving, so bad that I ended up almost on the passenger side with a big dent on my head where the B pillar seatbelt mount knocked me unconscious, and lay in a ditch with my blood soaked head hanging out the driver side window opening

Been hit side on by (yes all car drivers) on my bicycle, motorcycle and car (and van)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dead and not alive

Ohh wait a minute, thank fuc& for the fire brigade, Paramedics and hospital staff.

As I have used my fill of life's.

Been in many accident, been in head collisions with a car (I was on a motorbike) got one of my first flying lessons that day.

Been hit at speed (over Fifty mph) by a car overtaking me as I turned just after a blind summat. Bent the 1993 Vauxhall Astra estate I was driving, so bad that I ended up almost on the passenger side with a big dent on my head where the B pillar seatbelt mount knocked me unconscious, and lay in a ditch with my blood soaked head hanging out the driver side window opening

Been hit side on by (yes all car drivers) on my bicycle, motorcycle and car (and van)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dead and not alive

Ohh wait a minute, thank fuc& for the fire brigade, Paramedics and hospital staff.

As I have used my fill of life's.
Some of the incidents I have had as a youngster and grown up? I wonder how I survived, especially as you see some other very minor accidents resulting in fatalities. Devil looks after his own;)

As a Catholic I was forced to believe that someone looked after you. So if I have a guardian succubus or not. I put my coming out of my coma (after a motorbike accident) on a first responder who was a paramedic (do these people have a sixth sense for accidents!¡!!!) my brother and his girlfriend who were passing by on the way home via the M8/A80 and wondering what was holding them and the other traffic up, crashing less than 750 yards from a big hospital,

But mostly the hospital surgical staff that nailed and screwed my limbs back on whilst I was still non responding. In fath that I would wake up.

The whole hospital staff whoever they were.

Physiotherapy department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

And strangely Glasgow North Police service at Baird Street, that came and apologised for not picking up what was left of my Motorcycle, as it got stolen by thiefs from the hard shoulder of the motorway.

Life goes on. ..... Again. Here I am rebuilding my bionic bike that has almost killed me.(The hillbilly front end is so I can push it around my lockup)

Better leave that to some other human who thinks they are invincible. Well up until they get carted off to a accident and emergency unit in a ambulance.

Attachments

• _20240602_121759.JPG
    _20240602_121759.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As a Catholic I was forced to believe that someone looked after you. So if I have a guardian succubus or not. I put my coming out of my coma (after a motorbike accident) on a first responder who was a paramedic (do these people have a sixth sense for accidents!¡!!!) my brother and his girlfriend who were passing by on the way home via the M8/A80 and wondering what was holding them and the other traffic up, crashing less than 750 yards from a big hospital,

But mostly the hospital surgical staff that nailed and screwed my limbs back on whilst I was still non responding. In fath that I would wake up.

The whole hospital staff whoever they were.

Physiotherapy department of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

And strangely Glasgow North Police service at Baird Street, that came and apologised for not picking up what was left of my Motorcycle, as it got stolen by thiefs from the hard shoulder of the motorway.

Life goes on. ..... Again. Here I am rebuilding my bionic bike that has almost killed me.(The hillbilly front end is so I can push it around my lockup)

Better leave that to some other human who thinks they are invincible. Well up until they get carted off to a accident and emergency unit in a ambulance.
It's with great sadness that I have to say Mrs J has completely forbidden me riding motorcycles any more. Her favourite reply whenever I bring the subject up is: "At your age you won't bounce, you'll shatter" and I regret to say, she's probably right! doesn't stop me messing about with them though and, maybe just test riding as far as the end of the road?

It's with great sadness that I have to say Mrs J has completely forbidden me riding motorcycles any more. Her favourite reply whenever I bring the subject up is: "At your age you won't bounce, you'll shatter" and I regret to say, she's probably right! doesn't stop me messing about with them though and, maybe just test riding as far as the end of the road?
Although I do still have a full motorcycle license and the remains of a couple of bikes are in the garage, the last time they were on the road was around 1997. Falling off after the Council "treated" new tarmac didn't put me off, it was the amount of idiots pulling out of side roads into your path that finally did it for me.:mad:
I did have a brother in law who had lost the use of his arm and eventually it was amputated after a couple having an argument turned their Peugeot across his path to go into a side road!

Although I do still have a full motorcycle license and the remains of a couple of bikes are in the garage, the last time they were on the road was around 1997. Falling off after the Council "treated" new tarmac didn't put me off, it was the amount of idiots pulling out of side roads into your path that finally did it for me.:mad:
I did have a brother in law who had lost the use of his arm and eventually it was amputated after a couple having an argument turned their Peugeot across his path to go into a side road!
I've long said that if all car drivers had to ride a bike for a year first then the accident rate would fall dramatically.

Back